Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sticking throttle cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
This car (74 1.8 w/ sgl carb) had been off the road for the last 15 yrs. It drives pretty well now after 5 yrs of work but when backing off the gas the throttle stays at that speed. I have to blip the gas pedal to get it to back off. I'm guessing the throttle cable could use some new grease??? Stepping on the gas is not a very fluid operation. My previous 914's throttle worked with little effort.
What's the best way to do this? Loosen cable at the carb and at the gas pedal linkage and pull to the front of the car or rear? Didn't want to completely remove it from the car as I figured it would be a PITA to put back in.
There is a new throttle return spring and the carb linkage works ok unless it is getting hung up somehow and not completely closing???
Anything else I should chk? Thanks in advance for the guidance.
Ed
buhs914
I would buy a terry cable. After I replaced mine with the terry cable I had no more sticky spots or any other issues.
EdwardBlume
First, check to see if the tube in the tunnel is straight.. if anyone has ever jacked up your car in the middle the tube can bend... second look at the tube and see if its got any obvious issues like rusting out... third, if everything is straight and solid... work the old cable out..... then take brake cleaner or wd40 with the extended tip and spray it through the tube, stuff should fly out the back.. including rust and dirt.... forth, reinstall a new cable....

Worst case, you won't be able to get your cable back in...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.