Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition problem---Help please!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
So on Friday night I made a quick trip to a walgreens by my apartment. Car started up fine and ran great on the way there. Lo and behold though when I got in the car to leave for home it won't start. headbang.gif
So I sit in the parking lot thinking about what it could be. First thought that came to my head was engine was flooded somehow. So I sat and waited for a bit and than tried to start and still no go. I call my girl friend and asked her to bring my tools out to me. I start digging into the car and looking at a bunch of stuff. I first checked to see if I was getting fuel. My fuel pump is very loud so; I knew the pump was fine. I pulled the rain hats off the carbs and had my girl friend try to start her up and fuel sprayed into the carbs. I checked to see if any of the spark plugs were fouled and they were fine. Continued to look and look and three hours pass. I checked the spark plug wires for a spark and discovered no spark. headbang.gif
o I start trying to trace that and can't figure it out which is still where I am currently stuck at. So I ended up having my car towed home. sad.gif

I have a MSD and MSD coil. Does anyone know how to check if the MSD is bad? Or how to check the distributor or coil for a elctrical current without taking it off the engine? Does anyone have any other trouble shooting ideas to check for reasons why I am not getting a spark? confused24.gif
sixnotfour
bummer, here is a link that may help. check for power small red wire
http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3206
sixnotfour
porsche 6 cylinder motors #1 cylinder in a 914 is the front right cylinder.
If you left the key on you may have fried the pertronix, which is a points replacement.

like if you left the key on so the girl friend could listen to some tunes.
sixnotfour
link
http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/default.aspx
jcambo7
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 19 2010, 11:13 PM) *

Thanks for the help!
jcambo7
Ok so I just got don't buying the pertonix ignition to replace in my car. I am pretty positive that this is the problem and that somehow it got fried. dry.gif I hope at least. It should get here Friday. piratenanner.gif I plan on getting points to put on the car and to learn how to adjust them so I have a back up in case this happens agian to me when I am on the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.