Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deciding On Keeping My 73/914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Well as many of you have probably seen, I've been trying to sell my 914. Since I can't seem to get what I want for it I guess I'll keep it and make it better!

I would like to swap out my 1.7 for a beefed up 2.0 or bigger 4 cylinder. I would like to be able to A/X the car but mostly I want it to be a strong, fast street performer. I would like to here your suggestions on engines and where to get a good clean, rebuilt engine. If I'm going to dive into this I want to do this right. Take a look at what I'm working with and give me your honest opinions.

http://web.me.com/edwardarango/Site/FOR_SALE.html

Thanks
ED
crest.gif
EdwardBlume
You're making the right call Ed. You've got a nice car and with a 2.0 upgrade you'll enjoy the car just that much more...

McMark builds engines up here in NoCal and he might have a 2.0....

SWW914 has a build a 2056 offer in the classifieds too....

Personally, I like a 2056 FI and a good suspension for the street, but to each his / her own..

Take your time, build it right the first time.... aktion035.gif

zx-niner
If I was doing another rebuild (or more likely when I do my next rebuild) I am going with McMark's Original Customs $5,000 2056 rebuild to retain stock fuel injection. High horsepower with carbs is fun for now but I can see a day in the future when I'll want the simple reliability of stock FI. Nor would I be surprised if the State of California started smogging our old cars again.
Tom_T
Oh yeah, I forgot about McMark's 2056 option if you want around 110-125 hp (D-jet vs. carbs), in addition to the comments on Raby & FAT Performance which I just posted on your similar 914club topic. biggrin.gif

This 2 sites thing is driving me whacky! wacko.gif

Here's FAT website -
http://www.fatperformance.com/type4.htm

Pilothyer gave you Raby's at 914club

& here's McMark's 2056 (good bargain for the hp/tq improvements & keeps the d-jet) -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42456

... THE need for speed! shades.gif
Bleyseng
If you want to do the stuff you listed the 2056 engine with the Raby cam is the way to go. 120hp, Djet FI, stock looks and runs like a dream. This is the true 914S car that Porsche should have built and IMHO drives better than a stock six. More low end torque and hp so the car is more fun to drive around town. Suspension upgrades are easy and change the car. Going to 19mm Tbars, 140 rear springs, Koni's all around and real performance tires (205x50x15's) makes a 914 a modern sports car with unbelievable driving feel. Add real sticky tires for AXing/track use and you won't be able to out drive the car.
For street I do like the short 3rd and 4th gears so you have a close ratio gear box to blast around town in and the stock 5th gives you a nice quiet freeway gear and you average around 30mpg!
pilothyer
ED....Good choice on keeping it.....and as I posted to you on the club site, get familiar with Jake Raby and his engines....that little black beauty might need wings.
orange914
good call on keeping the 73', it's beautiful.

we built a 2056 for our 1.7, the h.p. really changed the feel quit abit.

i'm glad i ran modified D-jet. mainly becouse of m.p.g., smog (if reinstated) & somewhat originality. IMO if you want h.p. there are alot of modern swaps that will give you much more h.p. for less

best luck
McMark
Just finished installing and tuning a 2056 engine car. I LOVE that motor. It's a real blast and completely changes the feel of the car. Whether you talk to me, someone else, or build it yourself, the 2056 is an absolutely fantastic motor for these cars. What you give up in HP (versus a 2270) you gain in installation simplicity.
broomhandle
is there anything that can be done with the 1.7? to get a tad more HP. the 1.7 is lacking, but something just to get 20 more hp? or anything? the 2.0+ motors i bet are sweet. but can anything be done with a 1.7?
Bleyseng
1.7l with domed pistons?
Switch to a CR of 9 to 1 with new 96mm pistons
Have the heads rebuilt with 42x36 valves bored out to accept the 96mm cylinders
Raby 9550 cam and lifters or Web 73
Tune the MPS

Have all the rotating parts balanced, lighten the rods, groove the rods for oil squirting, and rebuild the injectors.

done, about 100hp and will rev freely to 5800rpms where the small intake stuff will choke it off but lots of torque and HP down lower in the 2000-4000 rpm range. This is almost the same as a 2.0l but not quite as its lacking the 2.0l torque.
EdArango
Thanks everyone for all the advise!!!!

Sounds like the 2056 is the way to go. I'll be going up to Monterey for the races 8/13-16/10. I'm hoping see some vendors at the track.
markb
Good choice on keeping the car. I'll bet you won't regret it.

About the motor, work something out with sww914, hes has the motor sitting there ready to be built how you want it, and he needs to get it gone. You can probably work a good deal & get it done quickly. Other than that one, have McMark do you a build. You know what you're getting with these guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.