Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rap, rap, rap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jasfsmith
Made a weekend trip to Truro, Nova Scotia to meet up with Ian Stott and several other tail draggers for a spirited drive on the back roads of northwest NS. (1,700 km in all). During the return trip home, I had a persistent rap coming from the rear. No lost in performance or signs of imminent failure. After resting from the trip I found the cause. Any guesses? Here's a photo of the destruction.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Handbrake cable flapping loose on your heat exchanger?
detoxcowboy
That does look like a brake cable strap though the other grommeted end seems to be torn off..

If you want another one it is called cable support strap available at sierra madre collection (porsche) it is listed under 911 though I have sen it in a parts diagram for the 914 though I do not know what year model, also this is the first time other than myself have heard anyone even mention it.. So I also am not certain it is "concourse" or even necessary.. It may be one of those annoyances that people do not replace or ?? On my '74 2.0 there is a metal tab on the passenger side cable route that can take one of these..

Click to view attachment

Here is the link for purchase....

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...=search_results
iamchappy
Shock strap?
iamchappy
Interesting, in all my teener years i have never seen a brake cable strap on any of my cars.......
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jul 19 2010, 10:20 AM) *

That does look like a brake cable strap though the other grommeted end seems to be torn off..

If you want another one it is called cable support strap available at sierra madre collection (porsche) it is listed under 911 though I have sen it in a parts diagram for the 914 though I do not know what year model, also this is the first time other than myself have heard anyone even mention it.. So I also am not certain it is "concourse" or even necessary.. It may be one of those annoyances that people do not replace or ?? On my '74 2.0 there is a metal tab on the passenger side cable route that can take one of these..

Click to view attachment

Here is the link for purchase....

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...=search_results

Good call. The energency brake line was fluttering in the wind. The strap is a double thickness canvas loop with one grommet which secures to the rear console. Concourse and necessary yes. For now it is zip tied up. Never came across the strap on any other 914 I've worked on. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.
Sleepin
You forgot to untie the dog from your rear bumper?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 19 2010, 11:06 AM) *

You forgot to untie the dog from your rear bumper?

Naw. I'd never admit to that... <grin>
Eric_Shea
So...

80mm or 240mm?
yeahmag
Anybody have a picture of this installed?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 19 2010, 12:52 PM) *

So...

80mm or 240mm?

Eric, I have tried both and it seems to depend on how you route your cable, under or over the engine bar.. and what you want it to do, hold the cable tightly in place or as security in case your cable does break loose keeping it from flopping around.. the grommet hole is M6 (6mm) and they are made in germany (printed on it)
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 19 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Anybody have a picture of this installed?

to dark out for a pic, but look at your passenger side traIling arm, there is a tab w/ hole in it near the brake cable routing.. just above it actually
Eric_Shea
What's an engine bar? biggrin.gif

I know where it goes. I have tons of control arms with the tabs here as cores. Had an original one on my six. Just wondered if I could get the dimensions off the six. wink.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 19 2010, 09:07 PM) *

I know where it goes. I have tons of control arms with the tabs here as cores. Had an original one on my six. Just wondered if I could get the dimensions off the six. wink.gif

AHHH AH! Yes he should measure that for us.. I felt the 80mm was to short (struggles like a button hanging on for it's life on a too tight shirt) and the 240mm there but lax..
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 20 2010, 12:07 AM) *

Just ordered one (proably the wrong one knowing my luck). When it arrives I'll try to get a picture of the location and a couple of measurements for you. No engine bar on the six.
Eric_Shea
How long is what's left of your old one?
Drums66
Boy...that funky kolmadina's a monster y'all laugh.gif bye1.gif
Rap...rap...rap?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.