Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hot air
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
my car has a lot of hot air comming from what appears to be the under dash area. right above the lower air vent. although the air vent is 'cool' air. whether the fresh air is on or off it has hot air comming through the front. im pretty sure its just when we are moving although i didn't realize it was happening until too late and forgot to check when i stopped.

any ideas on what to check?
TheCabinetmaker
Heater hoses from flapper valve to cabin are torn or missing. Its hot air from the lower part of the engine.
mipstien
so your saying go under the car where the heater hoses connect near the engine and plug those holes? sounds easy enough kinda thought it might be those hoses missing just hadn't had a chance to get under the car when i realized what was goin on yesterday
Cupomeat
Hmmm, (an apologize if I say what you already know) there should be flapper valves on the end of the heater boxes, BEFORE the flexible hose that goes to the body heater tubes.

If you don't have these, you will get hot air to the cabin ALL the time. The flapper valves regulate the amount of air going to the cabin and the supplemental fan is only there to help move things along at low RPM.

Does this help, or did I just tell you everything you already know?

Sorry if I did, but you can never tell... smile.gif
mipstien
Are you talking about the flappers that are on the top of the engine underneath the engine tin? If those then I don't have them.
I don't have my heat exchangers hooked up either.
If the flaps have to do with the heater lever then I'm pretty sure my flaps aren't there cause the lever doesn't connect to anything.
Cupomeat
Ok, there are two "FLAPPERS" then.

The ones on the top of the engine are cooling air flappers/guides and they are not related to this discussion. I would recommend putting them in as they properly direct air over the cylinders/head and more importantly, the oil cooler.

What I was talking about was the small 6" x 4" x 3" boxes (2) that attach to your heaterboxes between the engine and the firewall. They control the flow of hot air out of the heaterbox into the cabin. They either flow the air into the cabin or dump it out at the flapper box, to provide cooling for your heaterboxes.

So, if you don't have the heater flapper boxes, you probably are just drawing air into your heaterchannels (tubes that go from the firewall to the dash controls). Block off the heater channels (at the firewall) with something that won't trap water in and go from there.

I hope this helps.
Tom_T
Yeah Mark - I agree with the above - the heater flapper boxes with hoses to the heat tubes from the rocker/longs space to the front if left disconnected can do 2 things -

1. when you run the ventilation fan up in front of the dash, it will still pull in some hot air from the engine bay through the open tubes, and

2. without the flappers connected to the HE's, they cannot blow off hot air pumped through the HE's to cool it down. They direct heat to the cabin in cold weather, but likewise vent off hot air from the exhaust system in warm/hot weather. So the engine & bay may be significantly hotter than OE spec with it all hooked up!

You should keep the heater/HE system hooked up on a stock engine set-up of any flavor (including all tins) - even if you don't use the heater - because the overall operating cooling profile was based on the entire system of airflow & oil cooling with everything hooked up & working properly. Even simple holes in your old HE's can vent heat at the wrong points & add to the engine heat, rather than cooling it.

Dansk makes a nice pair of replacement heater flapper boxes for $70-100 each side L&R (they were one of the OEM suppliers), plus the hoses & cables are still available - if you want new. Check at AA, PP/Automotion, Pelican, etc. Otherwise there are used ones advertised on here, 914club, TheSamba & eBay, but get new hoses at least, cuz they get brittle.

Rows 4 & 5 fo boxes & hoses, cables, etc. throughout - IIRC yours is 75?
http://www.automotion.com/catalogsearch/re...p;x=28&y=11
http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf%5...;dept%5Fid=4496

A little more to do on your 914 I guess! biggrin.gif
type47
These are the heater flappers being referred to
Click to view attachment
Retail over $110 each new_shocked.gif
mipstien
i don't have any of the heater stuff so right now ill just plug them until it gets cooler and hopefully in that time find some used stuff for a decent price.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 19 2010, 03:41 PM) *

i don't have any of the heater stuff so right now ill just plug them until it gets cooler and hopefully in that time find some used stuff for a decent price.

Put a WTB ad in the Classifieds, there are a lot of those flappers sitting on garage shelves waiting for a new home. smile.gif You may want to check whether the wire that connects the flappers to the red handled lever is still intact. It's easy to replace, the usual sources have them in stock and some have made their own.
mipstien
ill do that eventually right now i need to save some money for things that make the car run. like sealed headers/heat exchangers so i dont' have an exhaust leak anymore.
SLITS
Because of the lo pressure area created in the cabin with the windows down or top off, the heater tubes that run thru the longs will suck hot air being discharged from the engine. Cap the tubes at the engine firewall until you get the proper stuff.

You can also draw in exhaust fumes too!
mipstien
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 19 2010, 08:12 PM) *

Because of the lo pressure area created in the cabin with the windows down or top off, the heater tubes that run thru the longs will suck hot air being discharged from the engine. Cap the tubes at the engine firewall until you get the proper stuff.

You can also draw in exhaust fumes too!

and all this time i just thought it was the car that made me feel that good ! wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.