Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Top Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
Ok so in short one of my car's PO's is a DAPO and used liquid nails to secure the sun cover to the dash top. The past few weeks I've been trying to figure out how to remove the damn stuff and there really is no easy way to do it.. Here's what it looked like before I cleaned it:
Click to view attachment
buhs914
Here's what it looked like after a few hours of chemical remover trial and error that finally led to me using a putty knife to scrape it off chair.gif :
Click to view attachment
buhs914
Here's the final product after A LOT of work with a touch of shoe polish biggrin.gif :
Click to view attachment
buhs914
Another:
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Nice work! How much per hour? lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jul 19 2010, 07:23 PM) *

Here's the final product after A LOT of work with a touch of shoe polish biggrin.gif :
Click to view attachment

Eventually when you're out of school & making the big bux, you'll want to send that dash top pad to AutoAtlanta or CAMP914 for a recovering with a good factory match vinyl to get rid of those cracks.

Nice job on the temporary clean-up & shine though! beerchug.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 20 2010, 12:28 AM) *

QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jul 19 2010, 07:23 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Eventually when you're out of school & making the big bux, you'll want to send that dash top pad to AutoAtlanta or CAMP914 for a recovering with a good factory match vinyl to get rid of those cracks.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
buhs914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 19 2010, 08:17 PM) *

Nice work! How much per hour? lol-2.gif

Haha there's no way I'd have the patience to do another one blink.gif This one alone had me swearing at the DAPO (who wasn't even there) dead horse.gif chair.gif

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 20 2010, 12:28 AM) *

Thanks! I might actually buy a cracked dash top to practice repairing cracks while I'm back in school. If it comes out good enough I'll sell that one and use the technique in the teener I'll buy later on (if it needs it).
Root_Werks
headbang.gif

The things that some people do.

Nice save!
turboman808
Dam should have just got it reupholstered.
markb
I would have just thrown a dash topper on it & called it good. biggrin.gif

Nice job. smilie_pokal.gif
70_914
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 20 2010, 03:44 PM) *

agree.gif

And I have...
buhs914
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 20 2010, 10:13 AM) *

Dam should have just got it reupholstered.

Haha yeah I would have taken that route but I have VERY limited funds. I did this cleanup for the expensive price of $0!! biggrin.gif haha

QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 20 2010, 03:44 PM) *

agree.gif

And I have...

Haha yeah it did have a topper on it but I couldn't stand knowing how it looked underneath.I knew I could save that top (even if it took a little work smash.gif ) so I decided against getting another one. Too bad I'm selling my car or I would completely restore the pad on my own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.