Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When there is a big puddle of oil under your car is it imortant?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
After a short drive to try and zero in the fuel parameters on the SDSEFI I noticed the oil pressure dropping from fifty to twenty psi. I freaked out and went home which was only blocks away. When I got home I pulled into the garage and watch hot oil puddle on the floor. Scared to death I put her on four jacks and crawled under to see what was up. I had cleaned the engine prior to the drive so I could tell whereabouts it was coming from. It was above the oil filter, but that is all I know. I am assuming it is the oil cooler. Though I don't know what in that area could also spew oil.

I need help figuring this out. Can the oil cooler be removed and re-gasketed in the car? Is there something else that could be leaking right there? I can refill some oil and start it to see more clearly but I not sure that would be a good idea or not.
HELP

Love always, Joe DiTommaso
Gint
Joe, I'd pull the oil pressure switch first and see if it's cracked.
Teknon
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 19 2010, 10:00 PM) *

2moro is search and rescue day. I will definitely heed your words when I dive in.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Teknon @ Jul 19 2010, 11:52 PM) *

...Can the oil cooler be removed and re-gasketed in the car?

It can, if you are extremely patient, flexible, and dextrous.
But even if you are, it's generally regarded as faster and easier to R&R the engine.
Good luck.
TheCabinetmaker
oil cooler is one possibility. Could be as simple as the pressure switch (hope) or the diz oring. Replaceing oil cooler seals in the car is possible, but not much fun. Small hands help. Clay Perrine has done a writeup on it here somewhere.
bandjoey
It takes about an hour to get the car on jack stands and convence yourself you want to work on the car and 30 minutes to change the seals. Search for Clay's write up. It's a royal pain to get top nut off but everything else is easy. I think there's also a pelican write up.
Teknon
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 19 2010, 10:00 PM) *

Okay that was it. Know it all! bootyshake.gif
VaccaRabite
NICE.

Glad to hear it was an easy fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.