Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 3.6 street car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
East coaster
I'm considering selling my 914 (can't believe I'm typing this!). I've owned 12 914's over the years and built this to be my idea of the ultimate streetable 914. My goal was to make it as close to looking like it came from the Factory as possible with an updated flavor.

There are many pics and info on this site about my build process but here's the high level details:

Base car was a 1974 Factory Silver 1.8 that had 42K miles and was stored in a temp controlled environment for 18 years. The car was stripped to bare metal, Steel GT flares butt welded and any rust was addressed (still has factory battery box!). An Engman stiffening kit was welded to strengthen the frame and it was given a bath in Glasurit GT silver paint.

A zero mile 3.6 six was installed utilizing a Patrick Motorsports bulkhead mount (welded). The 3.6 retained all the factory injection and electronics and runs primo. The stock intake was flipped, so no sheet metal was cut to make stock Injection fit. It breathes out through a set of Jet-Hot coated 1-3/4 European Racing Headers and a custom muffler with Boxster style center tip. The tranny is a 915 with every WEVO goodie available at the time (shift gate, bearing plate, 914 conv, etc..). It also has a factory limited slip installed and is actuated via a Rennshift lever. The cooling system is rather unique in that it utilizes a front cooler with a fiberglass plenum to channel fresh air into the cooler and hot air out through the sides of the wheel wells. It is very efficient and I've never seen the temps go anywhere near the red even when stuck in traffic on a 100 degree day.

The suspension is Carrera front end with Tarret sway bar and Koni adjustable shocks and the rear is stock with Koni adjustables and 165lb variable rate springs and includes a factory rear sway bar that I never installed but all body bracketry was welded for it. The rear rotors are early 914 (multi-pattern style) that were professionally drilled for 911 pattern. The wheels are 7x7 front and 7x9 rear and are factory units from a 2003 911. The tires are Continentals and should be replaced soon.

The interior was treated to a set of glove leather heated GT racing seats and a 911 style dash. It has an after-market center console that houses the Stereo (Kenwood head unit w/Polk speakers) and a custom 10" sub-woofer enclosure incorporated into the passenger footwell that does not impact passenger comfort. The Sound system is about as good can be expected in a 914. It's finished off with a Momo leather wheel and brushed stainless dash accents. It's modern looking, but not too far over the top (my opinion).

As in most projects, there's a couple things I never got to before driving it became a distraction. I never hooked up the electronic speedometer, I never hooked up the heated seats, although I did run a 12v bus to power them. I also never hooked up the driving lights. It is wired for them from the factory and the factory switch is installed, so I'm not sure why I never did it...oh well! The only other item that comes to mind is the backpad. It is currently just painted silver and I've been OK with that, but had always planned on covering it with something some day.

The car drives, runs, and handles excellent. The only problem I know of is a weird thing with the alternator light where it comes on at 3800 rpms and stays lit until you turn the car off. This began when I replaced the alternator a couple years ago. It doesn't seem to have any ill effects and the Alt seems to work fine. Some folks suggested it could be a funky regulator but that's pure speculation. It also has a blemish on the passenger side sail panel near the door handle. It looks like a rust bubble but it came up about week after painting and it hasn't changed shape/size in 4 years, so I doubt it's rust and more likely a chemical reaction of some sort. This area was bare metal and clean prior to painting, but assume rust and be happy when it's not! The area is about the size of a pea.

I'm entertaining offers over $25K. If you ever try to build a car like this your budget will far exceed that, maybe by double!

Click to view attachment
East coaster
more pics
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I'm halfway through a similar project. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have bought your car in a second. I'm sure it cost double to build even being careful with budget. Vinyl on the targa sail panel might cover up the paint blemish. I’ll be near Atlantic city in 2 weeks. Any chance I could take a look? Thanks, Mark
East coaster
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
East coaster
It's got a nice butt!

Click to view attachment
wes
Im in love, Well done, If I had the $$
kerry kohn
Great job. Very interested. Please e-mail me your contact number.
championgt1
One of my favs. Love this car!! drooley.gif
saul
Beautiful car!!! I'm very interested, please e- mail your phone #. Not a tire kicker.
Mountain914
Daaaaaang ! Methinks you aren't asking enough, but the market will decide. Awesome car!!! I haven't driven a 3.6 setup, I like the balance of power and weight with the 3.0, this thing must be POW-erful! I make up for the difference by painting mine yellow (ha-ha).

Nice job - and if you can't believe you're typing a for sale post - you will defintely regret selling it even more so!
i love porsche
im drooling...if only it was in my budget!
Cairo94507
Just a spectacular 914; it is in my budget.... unfortunately a divorce isn't so I will have to just be content with my six that will need $30K to put together. Best wishes and some lucky SOB is going to have a wonderful car.
U N S E E N
Wow that is just breath taking. Perfection. GLWS pray.gif
East coaster
I've had many inquiries and I will respond to all. I was trying to see if there was interest in the car and it seems their certainly is! For all the folks who've tried to contact me, I apologize for my delayed response but I've had a very busy work week.....I will respond to all inquiries. I stated I'll entertain offers over $25K and now I need to figure out how to navigate through those offers and settle on a deal.

Thank you for all the interest and kind comments on the car...it really is an awesome 914 to drive. It's a shame the factory didn't have the 3.6 when they designed the 914...the torque is wonderful in this car.
budman5201
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jul 22 2010, 07:17 PM) *

I've had many inquiries and I will respond to all. I was trying to see if there was interest in the car and it seems their certainly is! For all the folks who've tried to contact me, I apologize for my delayed response but I've had a very busy work week.....I will respond to all inquiries. I stated I'll entertain offers over $25K and now I need to figure out how to navigate through those offers and settle on a deal.

Thank you for all the interest and kind comments on the car...it really is an awesome 914 to drive. It's a shame the factory didn't have the 3.6 when they designed the 914...the torque is wonderful in this car.
beautiful car, i was trying to model mine after yours but the subie route. I have a LONG way to go.
howell914
Did this car sell??
caceo
aktion035.gif
Great job..... I am totally wrapt! This is one of the best..... Great work~
spare time toys
Just bumpn a nice car TTT beerchug.gif
howell914
did it sell?
East coaster
Still available......
AZ914
PM sent..
WaideS
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Sep 21 2010, 04:51 PM) *

PM sent..

Do it Jason, do it
MoveQik

PM sent..

I am going to hate you if you buy my dream car!!!! beerchug.gif
Gint
PM sent..

happy11.gif It's a really nice car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.