Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line Diameter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project-914
I am replacing my fuel lines with autozone 3/8" and 5/16"

my problem is that they don't have 3/8" by 3/8" flared female 90 degree elbows at my local hardware store

I want to do this right but the fuel lines I bought don't come with tapered ends... So I need the female side of the elbow to be flared and the male to be tapered for both 3/8" to 3/8" and 5/16" to 5/16"

is it ok is the diameter decreases to 1/4" for the feed line?

and I can't order metric lines now or I would
ArtechnikA
What's it feeding?
8mm should flow all a 1,7 can use.
Maybe even a 2,0.

Marginal for a big 6 or a V8 tho...
project-914
well, I am skeptical about dropping the diameter and flow rate...

it is for a 1.7 but I might go to a 2.0 later, but I would have to have to install larger fittings later

avidfanjpl
I know you can't go with metric now, but you may find that metric is safer.

I converted back to metric after 1 month of not metric.

My 2.0 had flow and safety issues. Flow issues first, then splitting lines.

50psi is HIGH PRESSURE. That is the pump rating. I have seen on the gauge.

At least make sure you have FI pressure rated lines.

I made that mistake and almost took a fuel bath IN THE GARAGE.

J
project-914
There is only about .5 inches of threading on these flared lines and the threading runs out before the flares mate up

who designed these?

anybody know of a solution?
jcambo7
QUOTE(project-914 @ Jul 20 2010, 09:07 PM) *

There is only about .5 inches of threading on these flared lines and the threading runs out before the flares mate up

who designed these?

anybody know of a solution?

What fuel lines are you talking about? Are they the ones in the center tunnel or in the engine compartment?
project-914
center tunnel

they are originally plastic but a lot of people replace to steel

I might hit some other auto parts places for more threads... but first to autozone to check to see if they have a fitting and if not, then return them
SLITS
Tubing cutter to cut the flares ... then use compression fittings available at most any hardware store.

To fix a rubber line to the tubing, use a die to lightly thread the end. Hose will clamp and hold very nicely.

Sincerely, your backyard, shadetree mechanic ..........
Cap'n Krusty
You could just buy lines designed for your cat from Chris at CFR, but that would deprive you of all the drama..................

The Cap'n
detoxcowboy
pelican parts has your metric fuel line.. and your tapered fuel line..
jcambo7
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2010, 09:02 AM) *

You could just buy lines designed for your cat from Chris at CFR, but that would deprive you of all the drama..................

The Cap'n

Cap n is right. Save your money for Chris' steel lines. I put them in my last 914 and plan on doing the same to my new one. They are already pre bent and you can get them with fittings. It costs a little extra. It is worth it to by these in the long run instead of having to replace fuel lines every time they crack or break.
Als914
QUOTE(project-914 @ Jul 20 2010, 05:29 PM) *

I am replacing my fuel lines with autozone 3/8" and 5/16"

my problem is that they don't have 3/8" by 3/8" flared female 90 degree elbows at my local hardware store

I want to do this right but the fuel lines I bought don't come with tapered ends... So I need the female side of the elbow to be flared and the male to be tapered for both 3/8" to 3/8" and 5/16" to 5/16"

is it ok is the diameter decreases to 1/4" for the feed line?

and I can't order metric lines now or I would

Check this site out http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/30R7_...Barbs_s/224.htm you should find what you need.
project-914
yeah they have inversted flare 90 degree but so does ace hardware and apparently napa stopped making them

but, I will make one last trip to autozone hoping that their inversted flare has few threads and functions properly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made these lines so that you are required to buy their fittings and not ones from lowes or ace
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.