Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal gremlins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jschaible
I have a 1974 1.8L with turn signal problems. The exterior turn signals work, but the green indicator light in the tach does not. The green indicator light comes on like gang busters for the 4-ways, but either blinks once or not at all for a left or right turn signal. (The exterior front and rear turn signal lights work fine.)

I've replaced both the indicator bulb, and socket too, but no improvement. I even tried helping out the ground to the indicator bulb socket with an alligator clip and wire, but still no improvement.

Any ideas or suggestions what to look at next?
quadracerx
Mine does the same thing....I think it might be the turn signal switch in the steering column....Mine dont self cancel...not sure if it is supposed to....

Steve
rjames
QUOTE(jschaible @ Jul 20 2010, 07:13 PM) *

I have a 1974 1.8L with turn signal problems. The exterior turn signals work, but the green indicator light in the tach does not. The green indicator light comes on like gang busters for the 4-ways, but either blinks once or not at all for a left or right turn signal. (The exterior front and rear turn signal lights work fine.)

I've replaced both the indicator bulb, and socket too, but no improvement. I even tried helping out the ground to the indicator bulb socket with an alligator clip and wire, but still no improvement.

Any ideas or suggestions what to look at next?

I had same thing happening. Removing the corrosion on the wires that connect to the socket housing the signal bulbs fixed the issue for me. (Inside of the wheel wells)
The turn signals were a LOT brighter afterwards, too.
Mike Bellis
It can also be the relay. The flasher relay has 2 internal relays. One flashes the exterior lamps the other flashes the dash lamp. Both relays are current/amprage sensitive. if you do not have enough current flow, the dash will not flash or may only flash once. If the relay goes out of callibration, it will not flash. The relay then needs to be replaced. With the original relays, no two are alike when it comes to current flow. Swaping to LED's can ruin some relays and not effect others. NOS relays are available as are replacements. I bought one new in the box from High Performance house for $40 after frying mine with LED's. I did not try LED's on the new one.
quadracerx
Ok....the relays you speak of are located where?

Thanks...

Steve
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Jul 21 2010, 08:07 AM) *

Ok....the relays you speak of are located where?

Thanks...

Steve

Above the fuse panel. It's square and looks like a single relay.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 20 2010, 11:23 PM) *

It can also be the relay. The flasher relay has 2 internal relays. One flashes the exterior lamps the other flashes the dash lamp. Both relays are current/amprage sensitive. if you do not have enough current flow, the dash will not flash or may only flash once. If the relay goes out of callibration, it will not flash. The relay then needs to be replaced. With the original relays, no two are alike when it comes to current flow. Swaping to LED's can ruin some relays and not effect others. NOS relays are available as are replacements. I bought one new in the box from High Performance house for $40 after frying mine with LED's. I did not try LED's on the new one.

I agree that the relay is probably his problem but I am at a complete loss on how an LED can ruin a relay. An LED is so low in power consumption it as though the contacts are not being used. If I am missing something here, please explain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.