Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible e-brake options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
The 914 I bought does not have a hand brake installed. The PO took it out and had the guts re- cad plated but never put it back together or installed it. Good news is I do have the cables, though.

So I installed some 996 seats and I am concerned the original e-brake handle will be jammed into the area next to the new seats

IPB Image

The question I have is:

Has anyone tried using an after market handle like the Lokars pictured? Perhaps in the area between the two seats on a custom fabbed mount?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Any thoughts on the subject?

As always - appreciated in advance.

Rob
okieflyr
I know that a couple of people have converted or started too. I don't remember the outcomes, but the search engine may help. I kinda like your seats by the way!
Eric_Shea
Some GT's had a 911 handbrake assembly fab'd in them.

Google "Armando, 914-6/GT" and check out Armando's site for all of the fab and install pictures from the factory cars.

Also, check the Jeff Hale resurection thread herein (can't remember the exact name of the thread) Jeff is installing a center mount handbrake.
charliew
911/944 any center emergency brake handle with the cables that come with them should work I would think. I have a leather covered 944 one with cables I am going to use if I can't fit a toyota foot pedal one in.
jaxdream
Personaly , I plan on using a 964 E-brake handle between the seats ,make a custom center console to surround it, lower profile , readily available , easy to mount , can be had with a black leather cover . I was going to use a Boxster , but changed my mind when I looked at the 964's , they where just nice and low , and wouldn't sit up as high as the Boxster. your call as to what you end up with. Just some other ideas. I see you went with what appears to be 924 / 944 door pulls and pockets , look great with the padded pleats on the door panels.
Good luck .....

Jack / Jaxdream
Mike Bellis
I'm running a hydraulic brake between the seats taped into the rear line. My car has 930 brakes and the PO gutted the hat. So I had no factory e-brake parts to start with.
jaxdream
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 21 2010, 07:48 AM) *

I'm running a hydraulic brake between the seats taped into the rear line. My car has 930 brakes and the PO gutted the hat. So I had no factory e-brake parts to start with.

That does work , but IIRC state laws (Your's may differ ) require that the hand brake / e-brake/ parking brake setup to be mechanical , seperate from the hydraulic system .YMMV...

Jack / Jaxdream
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jul 21 2010, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 21 2010, 07:48 AM) *

That does work , but IIRC state laws (Your's may differ ) require that the hand brake / e-brake/ parking brake setup to be mechanical , seperate from the hydraulic system .YMMV...

Jack / Jaxdream

It may not be DOT leagal. California does not have inspections. The unit I have has an internal check valve that stops the fluid going forward when pulled and latched. It's made for the drifting crowd but it works good for me. I use it to park but I have tested it and it will lock the rear brakes up. It was cheaper than trying to find all the 930 brake parts and rig to the 914 handle that I didn't have.

Click to view attachment
moparrob
Thanks for the info guys.

Eric - I couldn't find anything on Jeff Hale. I'm not impressed with the search engine, though...

I guess for now I'll try to locate a 964 handle and fab up some mounts. I hope I don't need to make new cables. but we shall see....
charliew
944 cables go two into one. check them out also. They are also a source for the angle pull type of spreader that is used on the 914 with 911 brakes. It's the same spreader thats on bmws also.
strawman
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 22 2010, 10:40 PM) *

944 cables go two into one. check them out also. They are also a source for the angle pull type of spreader that is used on the 914 with 911 brakes. It's the same spreader thats on bmws also.

I picked up a set of 944 "spreaders" from a local Pick-n-Pull and was honestly underwhelmed, so I went with 911 parts for my parking brake setup that I've built into my project. True, it pulls only from one side, but I've followed the lead of others that have used the same concept. Full disclosure: my car is done yet, but I don't remember seeing a completed 944 spreader-type setup used in real-world use...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.