Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bored Off My Heinie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1968Cayman
As I said last week in my "914s make great targets" thread, I towed a beige (primer) 1971 914 from a field near Greenville, AL in March of this year. As it had been sandblasted and primed before being tossed out into the elements for several years there was much rust to deal with but less than in my other project (water cooled, mid-engined M96 3.4L 1968 911 with a complete 986/996 suspension).

I only made the switch to the Porsche marquee six years ago, having been an uncompromising American muscle junkie for the longest time . . . except for a Mustang GT powered '41 Ford Coupe. I sold my '72 El Camino, a +500hp 427 ci beast with complete tubular suspension, Koni coil-overs, SSBC brakes and tons more in order to pay for my wedding eight years ago . . . the itch to bust my knuckles was just too great so I bought the 911, but the wait for a suspension jig has stalled that project and so I picked up the 914 for $250. As I have to resize nearly every image I post here I'll be adding build pics slowly. Here's a teaser of some of the problems I had to deal with:

Click to view attachment

Since I have two projects going at the same time and am not currently employed in the same manner as many people are, I'm doing virtually everything myself and for the lowest possible price (not using cheap $hit, merely shopping around and trading for the items I need).

A 1995 EJ22, ECU, harness and FWD Subaru tranny are already sitting in the garage waiting for completion of the engine cradle (I traded another member a second FWD tranny for a cradle). Other than the drivetrain and a YTBD turbo the car will be fairly stock. I'm even considering leaving the protective coating of rust on the doors for a while; might add hood filler access, too. I plan on driving the snot out of the car and so am coating it thoroughly with POR15 (which has never, ever failed me before and is therefore always my first choice).
silver74insocal
yikes.gif
EdwardBlume
Good luck and post lots of picts... I love it when people with skills bring 914s back from the brink of destruction... aktion035.gif
Spoke
Good luck.

At least you can see what you need to repair. new_shocked.gif icon8.gif
Gigamight
That..... will NOT buff out.......

Better you than me. I gave up on a car that was in somewhat better shape than that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.