Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Top Restoration Tip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomeric914
The top of one of the doors on my "track car" had spots that rusted through. While initially I had POR15'd them, the recent addition of flares was the impetus for me to strip the doors down and paint them as well. Unfortunately, it lends itself to rust due to the galvanic reaction between the aluminum and metal.

Removing the extruded aluminum channels that hold the fuzzy strips and rubber window wipers was a challenge on one side because the screw heads stripped and must have been made from an alien metal that destroys small drill bits. After the screws were extracted, removal of the channel required some finesse to keep it straight especially considering the corrosion that lurked underneath.

The metal fold of the door that the channel slips onto is in such a position that it cannot be properly painted. Using a mirror, I saw surface rust in exactly that spot which explains why rust shows up on the window sill (I POR15’d the rust I saw in the mirror). Further compounding the issue is there are two pieces of metal sandwiched together AND the aluminum extrusion that holds water. Add corrosion to the mix and the channel becomes a wick for moisture to travel from outside to inside.

I Marine Cleaned and Metal Prepped the aluminum channels in an attempt to remove any ferrous rust that had attached itself to the aluminum. Then I filled the channel with grease that slips into the door to prevent future corrosion.

In the cross section below, BLACK is the door, RED is the metal support inside the top of the door and BLUE is the extruded aluminum channel that holds the fuzzy strip and the outer rubber window wiper. I put grease in the blue U shaped area that slips over the black and red.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Good tip!

The last 914 I painted (Years ago) I was smart enough to remove the little strips as well. I was surprised how much corrosion had started. Nothing more than surface, but just one more place the rust monster hides until it's almost too late to chase it off.
McMark
Great tip. aktion035.gif
IronHillRestorations
The other reason to put some kind of coating is galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals, aluminum and steel don't play well together.
tomeric914
BTW, to get grease into the channel I took a small Ziploc bag and cut off about 1/8" from one of the corners. This allowed me to squirt the grease into the channel and not all over my nice new fuzzy strips from AA.

You could also steal your wife's pastry bag and use that, but future cookies may be a little greasy.

IPB Image
Cupomeat
Great info/tip Tom! agree.gif

I think it is time to post your work thread... aktion035.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 21 2010, 01:15 PM) *

I think it is time to post your work thread... aktion035.gif

Yea, it's too bad I didn't take video of me using a blowtorch to the outside of the case to melt the ice inside when I brought the car home. I did video the ice cube in the Weber float. That's up on YouTube. Clean, one owner, Florida car, no winters, low mileage... DAPO.
Cupomeat
Yeah, but that was good old CLEAN NJ Ice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.