Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 guages?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
mburkhart
I have a 74 that currently has a mixed bag of guages. I have read that they switched from the silver button gauges to the non-silver button guages in 1974, but that a limited number of 1974 cars did come with the silver button gauges.

Can anyone confirm that any 1974's came with silver-button guages? If so, any idea on when the switch actually occurred (vin number, perhaps?)

I have a complete set of both guages, but I prefer the silver button personally. I'm not a purist, but my car is mostly stock and I kind of like knowing that my car looks like it did 36+ years ago.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Hard to really pin it down, but usually after January 74 production 914s began to be fitted with the black buttoned gauges. Before that they all had silver. However in the waning hours of 1975, the factory began to run out of the black buttoned gauges, so fit some silver buttoned gauges to the cars!!!!
Tom_T
Good info on gauges & MYs here -
http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges.htm

The disadvantage to the black center gauges - other than my preferring the silver bullet look myself smile.gif - is that in a bid to save costs they went to plastic covers from glass, & got rid of the L&R turn signal indicator lights in favor of the old-school 60's VW style single TS indicator light for both L&R. They kept with that for years at VW as their prices climbed, & it really ticked me to have a $25+ 88 Westy with just one friggin' TS indicator light! dry.gif
914Sixer
It appears to be a whatever they had at the time. In most cases, as the Dr said after Jan 74 is the accepted change over date. If you like the silver bullet model USE THEM !
914werke
Look at you build date. Generally late 73 early 74 build date will have a higher likelihood to have come equipped with the Silver button gauges & still be 150 mph speedo.
KeithVonLaws
I know this is an old thread but my 8/73 built car has silver buttons - FYI
Cal
I have '74 2.0L with a build date of 9/73 that has silver dot gauges. The last silver dot gauges were used until they ran out in mid 10/73 time frame. After that they were all black.
vw_porsche
QUOTE(KeithVonLaws @ Aug 17 2016, 04:54 AM) *

I know this is an old thread but my 8/73 built car has silver buttons - FYI

Same here, my 8/73 built car also has silver buttons.
vin 4742901316
Her birthday is coming up soon! biggrin.gif
TM_Corey
My 4/74 build date 2.0 came factory with silver buttons but the tach is black. I have the original warranty invoice for the tach being swapped by Kline Porsche in 1974 because it "sticks when cold" so I am keeping them mismatched!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.