Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member, just took delivery of my 71 teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kalva
Just wanted to say hi and show some pic's of my new addition, 71 1.7 914. This will be my first time owning a 914 or any type of air cooled engine so this will be a learning curve. The car was original from AZ and can you believe the owner actually paid for undercoating and has been located in Up-state NY for the last 25+ years. Other than some rust buy the passenger’s side rear lift point she’s ok. Paint looks good from 15 feet and the interior needs some TLC. I've already learned about the oil leak issues. rolleyes.gif plus some.

Now first and foremost I need to get the car into "Reverse", I'm changing all the shift linkage bushings or whatever they are called in hopes that fixes it. This car shifter swims into gear..

Coming off the trailer, she was in Up-state NY and now on Long Island NY. Thats Jon in the foreground the truck driver thats saved me from the 16+ hour drive to pick her up.
IPB Image

Yes those hub caps are going ASAP
IPB Image

IPB Image

Look what I found, just missing some parts but I'll get them someday
IPB Image

IPB Image

Only overnight, this is a lot of oil. Going to see what this is all about...
IPB Image

Figured out the major oil leak, it’s the push rod tube o-rings must have gone bad from the car sitting. The heat exchangers are covered with oil.
IPB Image

Also found the fuel pump, looks like I'll be ording some new rubber mounts
IPB Image

Some good news, look at this underbody
IPB Image

Well for a car that’s been by Niagara Falls NY since the early 80's and not going into reverse this tweener has some potential for a period correct/weekend driver.

Thanks for looking,
Kalva

914Sixer
welcome.png The madness is just beginning. Please feel free to ask questions and remember that there are no dumb ones. We all had to start somewhere.
Kalva
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 21 2010, 07:37 PM) *

welcome.png The madness is just beginning. Please feel free to ask questions and remember that there are no dumb ones. We all had to start somewhere.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have some. I've been reading the 700 tech tips book for the last two weeks and it's amazing how much is covered.

1st question. Where are good areas to place jack stands other than those undercar lift points? I want to raise the rear off the car without ramps and I need the lift points to put my floor jack..
Tom_T
welcome.png
rick 918-S
assimilate.gif welcome.png
jcambo7
welcome.png
ripper911
I don't know about the jacking point, I use the bilstein jack, lol! unsure.gif

With any luck, You'll never need a radiator again! happy11.gif
dancinnanner.gif
Kalva
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 21 2010, 09:26 PM) *

I don't know about the jacking point, I use the bilstein jack, lol! unsure.gif

With any luck, You'll never need a radiator again! happy11.gif
dancinnanner.gif

Thats right, at least I have one less fluid to mark the driveway... piratenanner.gif
jim_hoyland
welcome.png Nice find ! The Tech Tips got me through a lot of the confusion between the different year models. That, a Haynes Manual, and this forum can really save a lot of time is diagnosing problems and finding parts.

william1764
Congrats! welcome.png
Gint
Nice! Grats. That's a fairly rare color.
silver74insocal
welcome and congrats. i usually use a jack on the jack point and a stand on the motor mount bar close to where it mounts to the frame or vise versa depending on what im trying to get to. but yes be careful where you jack or support these cars. welcome.png

good luck and have fun...ask lots of questions and post lots of pics beerchug.gif Dave
Kalva
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jul 22 2010, 12:02 AM) *

welcome and congrats. i usually use a jack on the jack point and a stand on the motor mount bar close to where it mounts to the frame or vise versa depending on what im trying to get to. but yes be careful where you jack or support these cars. welcome.png

good luck and have fun...ask lots of questions and post lots of pics beerchug.gif Dave

Pic's it is, that confirms my thoughts in the motor mount bar.

Thanks
Kalva
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 21 2010, 11:42 PM) *

Nice! Grats. That's a fairly rare color.

If I can get her to back up I'll be happier. The color is metallic gold I had to do some research to find out it was a 163.oo paint option in 71' , just wish the owner splurged on the any mag wheels other than steel sockers. I also forund the first owners red maintance log book very cool to see stamps.
championgt1
welcome.png Congrats

Click to view attachment

markb
I love the metallic gold! Find a set of Pedrini or Mahle wheels, both would look great on that car.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jul 21 2010, 06:18 PM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
ConeDodger
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.