Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need new throttle cable: terry or gemo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
It's been a while since I've bought a new throttle cable, but I need one now. I've been working on my car fixing small stuff the last couple weeks, and took it for a "test drive" tonight...

3rd gear & 3.6 & a stuck throttle - that was exciting. I was able to pull the throttle pedal/bar back and get it unstuck, but definitely time to get a new cable. I can see where it is frayed near the engine.

What is the better cable between the Terry cable or OEM Gemo? I seem to recall problems with the Terry cable, but thought I'd check here first...

-Steve
pcar916
Have you eliminated a spring or bellcrank issue on the throttle body (or carbs)

I've always been impressed with Terry cable quality. What type of cable is it now?

I have a 993 (not 964) motor in mine and have always used a stock 993 throttle cable. Because it came with the motor I never tried any others. The routing is the same through the tunnel but a cable stop was needed there. A bulkhead engine mount would've forced drilling a small hole for it. Otherwise it was trivial.

Good luck
914Sixer
Go with Gemo, they are less than $20 most places. Terry cables then to be long and overpriced.
VaccaRabite
Another vote for Gemo here. I got a Terry cable, and did not like it at all. Started falling apart within a year, and I replaced it with a Gemo.

Zach
tradisrad
take a look in the tunnel near the pedal cluster and check to see if the throttle cable is wrapped around the clutch cable..
Als914
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 22 2010, 12:06 AM) *

It's been a while since I've bought a new throttle cable, but I need one now. I've been working on my car fixing small stuff the last couple weeks, and took it for a "test drive" tonight...

3rd gear & 3.6 & a stuck throttle - that was exciting. I was able to pull the throttle pedal/bar back and get it unstuck, but definitely time to get a new cable. I can see where it is frayed near the engine.

What is the better cable between the Terry cable or OEM Gemo? I seem to recall problems with the Terry cable, but thought I'd check here first...

-Steve

My OEM clutch cable snapped within a two year period on a FWY off-ramp. That was in 2000. Frustrated, I decidead to change over to Terry clutch and thottle cables at that time. They are still, to this day, in my daily driver and in SoCal you will shift and thottle up and down endlessly. You can't convince me Terry cable are inferior to OEM. My opinion.
Root_Werks
I recently replaced all my cables and made sure to get the terri clutch and throttle.

I was surprised to see the throttle cable didn't have a plastic sleeve on it. I honestly don't like that.

Does the Gemo have the plastic sleeve on the throttle cable?
tornik550
Terry. I had two Gemo's and I was not pleased with either. I do not have many miles on the Terry but so far I have been very pleased.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 22 2010, 11:33 AM) *

I recently replaced all my cables and made sure to get the terri clutch and throttle.

I was surprised to see the throttle cable didn't have a plastic sleeve on it. I honestly don't like that.

Does the Gemo have the plastic sleeve on the throttle cable?

The one I replaced the Terry cable with did.

Zach
jmmotorsports
I like Terry cables. I have had them make me several custom cables over the years. They will pretty much build them any way you want.

Jerry
rwilner
I replaced both my clutch and throttle cables with OEM (gemo) and they are smooth as silk. The advice I was given was to stick with OEM. Very pleased.

I think you probably can't go wrong with either as long as you install it correctly. Once approach: buy both, try both, keep the one you like better and keep the other as a spare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.