Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint quality.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Ok, 400, 600, 1000, 2000, 3m 39002 rubbing compound with yellow pad, then 2m perfect swirl remover and polish on black pad. Would you be happy with this, or would you do more sanding and rebuff?? Oh, and the lighting is bad, typical foggy morning here.

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Looks better then the paint job I did, so yeah, I'd be happy with it.

Zach
jeffdon
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 22 2010, 08:40 AM) *

Looks better then the paint job I did, so yeah, I'd be happy with it.

Zach

I keep second guessing it. Keep comparing to a buddies 63 Riviera thats flawless.

Could be I am just getting cold feet about driving it again with the new engine. I am actually having recurring dreams featuring either a dead engine, or someone backing into me in a parking lot.
Mark Henry
That's the problem I have with "perfect" paint job's, I like to drive my cars. Stone chips and minor scratches are inevitable, in fact I'm relieved once I get a small ding.

My engine break-in instructions has always been drive it like you stoled it. If it's going to blow up it's going to do it in the first 1k miles anyways.smile.gif
McMark
Yes.
proto31
just curious why you started off with 400 grit, that's REAL rough for color sanding, usually start off with maybe 1200 if there is a lot of orange peel. I'm afraid that you'll have some pretty deep scratches that will start to show through after a while.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 22 2010, 09:11 AM) *

That's the problem I have with "perfect" paint job's, I like to drive my cars. Stone chips and minor scratches are inevitable, in fact I'm relieved once I get a small ding.

My engine break-in instructions has always been drive it like you stoled it. If it's going to blow up it's going to do it in the first 1k miles anyways.smile.gif

Oh its not perfect. I had the head of a run dead center on the hood peel up when sanding it, and i am trying to fix it with base and clear. A hood badge would cover it just right, but i dont like them. Other little boo-boos here and there, including a now fossilized gnat.

As to blowing it up, it ran pretty well during cam break in on the stand. Getting new emulsion tubes in the mail today, hope to make it move under its own power this weekend.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 22 2010, 09:20 AM) *

Oh its not perfect. I had the head of a run dead center on the hood peel up when sanding it, and i am trying to fix it with base and clear. A hood badge would cover it just right, but i dont like them. Other little boo-boos here and there, including a now fossilized gnat.

As to blowing it up, it ran pretty well during cam break in on the stand. Getting new emulsion tubes in the mail today, hope to make it move under its own power this weekend.

to a swer your original question of would I be happy... No. Why finish sand it when there's flaws in the base. I'd sand the hole thing down and start again, but I'm nuts. You do what makes you happy.
jeffdon
QUOTE(proto31 @ Jul 22 2010, 09:17 AM) *

just curious why you started off with 400 grit, that's REAL rough for color sanding, usually start off with maybe 1200 if there is a lot of orange peel. I'm afraid that you'll have some pretty deep scratches that will start to show through after a while.

It was actually recommended at the autobody101.com forums. I would think if I worked my way from the 400 to the 2000, i should be getting all scratches out, right?
jeffdon
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 22 2010, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jul 22 2010, 09:20 AM) *

to a swer your original question of would I be happy... No. Why finish sand it when there's flaws in the base. I'd sand the hole thing down and start again, but I'm nuts. You do what makes you happy.

Flaws in the base? Not really. Its the clear with all the issues. Or are you seeing something I am not?
Sleepin
I am not happy with it because it is yet another car with a paint finish that is nicer than both of mine! lol-2.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 22 2010, 10:12 AM) *

I am not happy with it because it is yet another car with a paint finish that is nicer than both of mine! lol-2.gif

I can try to get you a picture of the fossilized gnat if it would make you feel better.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2010, 09:13 AM) *

Yes.

agree.gif agree.gif

Unless you are CW... huh.gif
VaccaRabite
Here is the deal with painting your own car.

You will know, and see, every single flaw. No one else will see them when they look at your car, but you will know.

With my car, there are a lot of flaws. its a good 10 foot paint job, and I get compliments - and when I wash the car it does look good. But every time I see the car, all I see is a chip here, a scratch there, an area that could have been sanded a little more over there.

Its kinda maddening, and I am to the point of wanting to paint my car again to see if I can do a better job. I'm not letting myself, though. Not until I get the Jeep driving will I repaint the 914.

Zach
jeffdon
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 22 2010, 11:03 AM) *

Here is the deal with painting your own car.

You will know, and see, every single flaw. No one else will see them when they look at your car, but you will know.

With my car, there are a lot of flaws. its a good 10 foot paint job, and I get compliments - and when I wash the car it does look good. But every time I see the car, all I see is a chip here, a scratch there, an area that could have been sanded a little more over there.

Its kinda maddening, and I am to the point of wanting to paint my car again to see if I can do a better job. I'm not letting myself, though. Not until I get the Jeep driving will I repaint the 914.

Zach

Yep. Been 25 yrs since i have done autopaint. Its like riding a bike. The things I hate about it came right back!

scotty b
QUOTE(proto31 @ Jul 22 2010, 08:17 AM) *

agree.gif 400 is way to harsh. All you have done is created more work for yourself and eliminated alot of the clear you put on the car. My worst jobs never got harsher then 1000 grit. And when I have something that has to be absolutely perfect I still start out with 1000. Never anything more unless I am going to repaint the piece.
jeffdon
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 22 2010, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(proto31 @ Jul 22 2010, 08:17 AM) *

agree.gif 400 is way to harsh. All you have done is created more work for yourself and eliminated alot of the clear you put on the car. My worst jobs never got harsher then 1000 grit. And when I have something that has to be absolutely perfect I still start out with 1000. Never anything more unless I am going to repaint the piece.

Well, just buffed out a fender I had gone 400-600-1000-2000, and I am not seeing scratches, but do have some waviness i would describe as "urethane wave". Need to take this puppy off the jack stands and get it out into the sun. My light sucks.
Krieger
You want to come up here and do another "unhappy job " like that for me? I may be moving in to the spray can arena to do mine.
charliew
Out in the bright sun will hide a lot of flaws. The overcast days are where you will wish for the sun. Don't worry after about 8 months you will probably want to resand with 2000 to get the shrinkage flaws out and the edges where you are trying to touch it up. When you do sand the touch up don't sand against the edge only go over it from the inside of the spot or it will peel the edge back. They make a blending clear that helps melt the edges in. Be careful and don't put fresh new paint on older paint unless it's a few days old or it will soften the older paint and wrinkle it. Just drive it and let it rest awhile. If it bothers you when people ask just tell them your brother-in-law painted it. A lot of the cost of diy is the paint on the floor from fixing fus. Or as they say from the 3 f's
IronHillRestorations
Good strong full spectrum florescent lights will show more than sunlight.
PanelBilly
I'm sure your car looks great. I was really just pointing out what a sick person I can be when it comes to paint. Beware of folks like me, we like to spread our need to keep doing the job over and over to everyone who will listen
jeffdon
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 22 2010, 05:17 PM) *

Out in the bright sun will hide a lot of flaws. The overcast days are where you will wish for the sun. Don't worry after about 8 months you will probably want to resand with 2000 to get the shrinkage flaws out and the edges where you are trying to touch it up. When you do sand the touch up don't sand against the edge only go over it from the inside of the spot or it will peel the edge back. They make a blending clear that helps melt the edges in. Be careful and don't put fresh new paint on older paint unless it's a few days old or it will soften the older paint and wrinkle it. Just drive it and let it rest awhile. If it bothers you when people ask just tell them your brother-in-law painted it. A lot of the cost of diy is the paint on the floor from fixing fus. Or as they say from the 3 f's

Ah CR*P, due to a trunk miss-aligning i knocked a chip into the rear corner of the trunk, and the corner of the fender. She's virgin no more. F-it. Gonna get her driving ASAP. driving.gif
PRS914-6
It's a good idea to tape the edges of anything you are working around or fitting. I always thought that if I was careful, I didn't need to but the unexpected always happens.... mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.