Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nikasil and other coatings primer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
charliew
This has a short list as of 2000 of the mfgs and years of the different coatings and the processes to refinish the bores, If someone has already posted this or a better article I'm sorry but it seemed interesting to me. I came across it on a closed deck thread discussion on nasioc and knew nikasil was used on the porsche motors.

http://www.aera.org/ep/downloads/ep4/EP10-2008_18.pdf
realred914
My 2.2 liter Vangon big bore 96 mm pistons (USA made forged) have ceramic coating on the tops, and a lubricating teflon coating on the skirts, real high tech now days. this here is what they sell at Go Westy.

wonder if they work well in a 914 aircooled?
charliew
My sporster has coatings every where, piston crowns, combustion chambers, skirts, valve heads, and exhaust ports and it was done in 96. But those coatings are a lot easier to get done than the cylinder coatings or alloys as in alusil.
ME733
...THANKS ...Charliew, this was a great article and I for one appreciate you posting it on world. I note that it came from ...ENGINE PROFESSIONAL....(not motor professional).
Mark Henry
Yah people are such idiots...it should General engines, not General Motors ...More idiots ...it should be the Ford Engine company, Yamaha engine co. Mitsubishi Motor co. Toyota motor co.
Detroit should the "engine city"... it should be out-board engines so OMC = more idiots,
Bentley, Rolls Royce, Hyundai, Suzuki Honda.... idiots
Buses should be called engine coaches and it should be Engine homes , not motor homes ...all idiots...
It should be the Indianapolis Engine speedway, government idiots at the DMV...it should be the DEV...idiots, they are engine vehicles, not motor vehicles
....and it's engine sports, not motor sports
And those motor bike riders...idiots again, don't they know they are engine bikes,
Motor inn? idiots
Pennsoil i-d-i-o-t-s ... it's engine oil ...not motor oil
Motor Trends magazine...you guessed it...idiots
Websters dictionay , what do they know about the English language....idiots
Hemmings Motor News. OMG more idiots!

rolleyes.gif

....Really dude who cares?

charliew
Damn it must be the moon. First I go to see some floor pan pictures on the club and this guy porvdub is raving about some other member I guess he's sweet on and now you guys are raving about the differences in between a electric motor and a internal cumbustion engine I guess. Maybe I've been in the sun to much today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.