Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock battery clamp work with an Optima?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Tech at the last AX were giving my 'home-made" battery clamp the evil-eye...Does the stock one fit, can I make it fit?
Brad Roberts
The stock one doesnt fit well on the Optima's. I'm looking into making us something.

Flip the battery around and make your wires fit nicely.

B
Brad Roberts
Nevermind. You bought a different version of the Optima that what I run...oops. I buy that one for my Chevy truck... and the one without the side terminals for the 914's. Then I yank the handle off.

B
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 8 2003, 09:41 PM)
The stock one doesnt fit well on the Optima's. I'm looking into making us something.

Flip the battery around and make your wires fit nicely.

B

Good idea. blink.gif
anthony
My Optima came with these black plastic feet that I had to snap on to the bottom of the battery. With those, the stock battery clamp worked just fine.
Mark Henry
I'm getting an Optima is there a group # or part #? The wife will be picking it up so I need to know which one to get.

For some reason my other battery died, I don't know why, I left it sitting on the concrete without charging it all winter. Damn guess I'll just have get the Optima. wink.gif
anthony
You want the Red top or Orange top Optima. The Orange has the terminals in the same position as a stock 914 battery. The Red top, which is more commonly found, has the terminals reversed. They easily fit cars with a longer ground strap installed.
Brad Roberts
I guess I have never seen the Orange top. Pics please...

B
Brad Roberts
Allright. I'm on Crack. Optima doesnt list a Orange top battery anywhere on their site.. Red/Blue/Yellow.

Help me.

B
Dave Cawdrey
Here ya go, B-

Its the least I could do wink.gif
rhodyguy
chris, on a recent post there was a link to an ebay site selling red tops. the implication was that the orange top is now red, go figure. at the next autox talk to dave ellison, he is doing another run of his adaptor/base plates so you can use the stock clamp. contact him before hand and i'll bet he would bring one up for you. put it on before tech and go through like a breeze. we spoke regarding a set rims for your ax tires.

kevin
Ferg
I bought the yellow top on advice from a non porsche guy. It is the deep cell/marine type. Any harm in using this battery. When it comes to electric's I am way in the dark. Ferg
Bleyseng
You can use the stock battery holder piece but you MUST grind a slight radius in it, Otherwise it hits the bottom of the cells cutting into the battery case. Don't want to ruin the battery!
Geoff
boxstr
COSTCO is selling the Optima line of batteries. Nice thing about COSTCO is if you have a problem and return it, they take it back and they hand yoy cash.
I have put an Optima is each of the cars that I have sold and so far no probolemo.
CCLinLOO
StratPlayer
Here ya go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7&category=1498
seanery
Does my car have an optima in it?

I can't wait to finally see it in 2 weeks!!!
MarkV
I used an Exide Orbit. Same gel cell technology as the Optima. Comes with terminals at all four corners. Had to slice off the one that interfered w/ the rain tray. Stock clamp works w/ no modification.
Curvie Roadlover
Ferg,
The marine "deep cycle" battery is designed to run under a constant load until almost discharged then be recharged. That's a deep cycle. As in running the electronics on a boat (stereo, nav. stuff, lights, etc.). What you want for automotive use is a "hard cranking" battery. This is one that delivers alot of juice in a short period of time, ie. starting the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.