Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orig CA license plates (the blue ones)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bembry
I saw quite a bit of discussion a while back concerning old licene plates, getting repros, etc, which got me thinking.

I have a 73 2.0 914, light ivory, that I have slowly been putting back towards all stock, minus of course the carbureted 2056 engine McMark just built and installed for me piratenanner.gif . And even then, the case is original (per my COA), and I still have the FI bits--which worked when taken off--in a box.

I'm about half sure my car was sold in/around San Jose when new. It isn't registered in CA currently. I have classic plates from another state on it right now. It had late CA plates on it when I got it, with unpaid DMV fees. mad.gif I also found a previous registration in the car (from a second DAPO) with a really lame/embarrassing personalized plate listed. I have no idea what the orig plate was.

--I'd like to find a set of old blue CA plates in decent condition for my car, and I'd like them to be representative of a number sequence that could have been on a 73 914.

My questions:
--Can I reregister them if I find a nice set?
--Does anyone know the typical sequences for car plates of this vintage? Examples would be very much appreciated.
for example, I saw another 73 914 on here, and while I wont list the guy's exact plate here, the sequence was: number number number space letter letter letter

That fits pretty squarely with a then new '77 VW van we had when I was growing up--blue CA license plate was 092 SKE.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

Here's the car:

IPB Image
underthetire
My dad was able to buy the original yellow plate with black lettering (56, CA) and get those transferred. Also the GF had her custom plates transferred from a Bronco to our motorhome. I think as long as the plate is clear through DMV you can do it.
detoxcowboy
Nope, No can do in Ca. even if you have the plates. I tried this as well for my '74 and even went into the DMV.. The car has to be before a certain year to quailfy in for doing such. I forget the year but if I had to guess I would say 65 and earlier.. You can actaully research this online at the DMV. I did this as well and found the same answer.

Ways around it I did not try was to register orginally as a wrecked revival (I forget the proper term)... But even then the car could not have just been registerd recently.. My first 914 was a '73 whihc had the blue plates and was registered this way..
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jul 23 2010, 07:32 PM) *

Nope, No can do in Ca. even if you have the plates. I tried this as well for my '74 and even went into the DMV.. The car has to be before a certain year to quailfy in for doing such. I forget the year but if I had to guess I would say 65 and earlier.. You can actaully research this online at the DMV. I did this as well and found the same answer.

Ways around it I did not try was to register orginally as a wrecked revival (I forget the proper term)... But even then the car could not have just been registerd recently.. My first 914 was a '73 whihc had the blue plates and was registered this way..

Brent - I just PM'ed you! beerchug.gif

Joe, up to `69 you can get the old plates & reassign them from another car to your car if sold in or before 1969 calendar year, so early 70 MY 914s first sold in 1969 calendar year are eligible - & I think that they're eligible even if first sold out-of-state in 1969, but are resident here in CA now.

For yours & those sold 1970-on 914s - if you can find out what your car's original first registration plate no. was, then you can check if the plate nos. were ever reassigned & currently on another vehicle - & if not, then you can submit the proper form to have that/your car's original plate reassigned to the car. DMV may have it in their archives, but you have to submit an Info Request from downloadable from their website. You may be able to have a repro pair of plates made new from those nos. to use to reassign the old/original plates.

<edit> here's the link for Info. Requests: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.htm

There are also some companies out there who supposedly can research your vehicle's history for $200+/- & there's another topic on here about that somewhere, but here's one with some names/contacts - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=105417
<end edit add-on>

Another option for any MY 914 is the CA Historic Vehicle plates, but those do have some driving/use restrictions.

ALL - Here's more info on getting period & historic CA plates from DMV here -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=104349

Sometimes ou have to go to different people & supervisors at DMV, & sometimes to different DMV offices, & know what the regs say & be persistent.

Joe - if you cannot find the original plate no. for yours - since you're moving to the cold north for awhile, just register yours up there for now, & by the time you move back to CA they may have pushed out that period license plate datte from 1969 to a later year after yours was sold & maybe it will be eligible by then! biggrin.gif

BTW Brent & others - My 73 2L was first sold/registered in CA 11/9/72 & has had blue/gold (yellow) plates since I got it in 12/75 of 530GVS, & still has them!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.