Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 Chalon V8 Conversion Build... It Lives!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BRAVE_HELIOS
Here are some pictures of my project. Estimated time of completion => unknown!

School starts in another month, and that will slow things down to a crawl. I'm hoping, realistically, that next summer she'll be on the road! Enjoy!

The link will take you to more photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11498801220036...feat=directlink

Click to view attachment Time to take things apart!

Click to view attachment 93' SBC... will convert to carb and mid-range cam.

My car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmzS34dASxM

New exhaust system added!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79oCm5R8UY

Lennies914
Started your thread @ 9:14, huh idea.gif

Looks like a fun project. Keep the pics coming.
underthetire
Cool. Screw the carb, stick with FI !
BRAVE_HELIOS
Added video to first post.
Ericv1
Looks like a fun project. I would stick with FI as well. It's nice when it starts right up and you don't have to wait for the carbs to warm up.
drive-ability
Hey,
Looks great, nice video you place on the page.. Come on ! Get it running !
chowtime.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
New pixs!

Click to view attachmentWashers sre from a Sentra... perfect fit!Click to view attachmentNew struts in place.
Click to view attachmentFuel pump in place with cut-off!
Click to view attachmentSilver nicely contrasts with the black!
Click to view attachment2/0 cable to the starter!
Click to view attachmentRunning 2 6 gauge cables to the front for power!
Click to view attachmentGot the tach out for the V8 mod.
Click to view attachmentA little rewiring. Note the 2/0 cable for the ground
Click to view attachmentTranny looks good!

BRAVE_HELIOS
It Lives!

My first, short drive in the 914! So far so good!

Click link for new video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTU2EEODLZc

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Don't forget to comment (hopefully positive) on my YouTube page!
sawtooth
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Apr 25 2011, 10:44 AM) *

It Lives!

Congratulations Tony! smilie_pokal.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Apr 25 2011, 10:55 AM) *

It Lives!

I am soo happy! biggrin.gif
sawtooth
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Apr 25 2011, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Apr 25 2011, 10:55 AM) *

It Lives!

I am soo happy! biggrin.gif

Can't wait to go for a drive with you. What an accomplishment to get it on the road, great job.
JRust
Nice! I've always liked the chalon kits when they were done well. Your looks to be in great shape. I hope you plan to bring it to WCR in June biggrin.gif . Congrats on getting to drive it. Always a great feeling getting that first drive in after a long time of putting it together
biosurfer1
LOL...love at the end of the video when the cars dies, whoever was filming let out a little "ha"...classic.

Congrats on getting it running!
computers4kids
Congrats...looks and sounds great. first.gif
The little "chuckle" at the end was priceless. smile.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
I was wondering if anybody was going to remark about the stall and the "ha" at the end of the video! I thank my 13 year old son for that great ending! laugh.gif

BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 25 2011, 01:52 PM) *

Nice! I've always liked the chalon kits when they were done well. Your looks to be in great shape. I hope you plan to bring it to WCR in June biggrin.gif . Congrats on getting to drive it. Always a great feeling getting that first drive in after a long time of putting it together

I would love to go to WRC in June (try to get a 914 convoy from Boise with Dean and whom ever else wanted to join), but can't do it. I've got my cousin and his family visiting us from Sicily, so we're going play gracious hosts instead. biggrin.gif
JRust
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Apr 25 2011, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 25 2011, 01:52 PM) *

I would love to go to WRC in June (try to get a 914 convoy from Boise with Dean and whom ever else wanted to join), but can't do it. I've got my cousin and his family visiting us from Sicily, so we're going play gracious hosts instead. biggrin.gif

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to convert them to the teener world evilgrin.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
Never know where to put the pix and the videos.

I just added a new Magna Flow exahust system (muffler part number is 12468). It sounds really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79oCm5R8UY

Andyrew
I have magnaflows on my car and it sounds pretty good as well. Love magnaflows.

Congrats! You'll love them.
Andyrew
http://www.myspace.com/video/14884854/autox-2/664730

PS, the exhaust leak is fixed...
TC 914-8
Looks and sounds good, I just spent 2 weeks in Boise and Mtn Home what part are you in?
FI would be nice but unless you have a money tree in the back yard ...... I was fighting my Edlebrock 600 cfm for a long time. Plus with the metering rods and jet combo its a pain in the ass. I found a new in the box old school Holley 650 double pumper on Amazon for $289+ tax and shipping. Put that baby on fired right up, set the fuel air and she's running better than ever.
Let me where in ID you are, I have to go back to Twin falls, Pocotello, and Chubbuck (sp) in late sept.
Hope to see you at the WCR
T
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ May 12 2011, 08:43 PM) *

Looks and sounds good, I just spent 2 weeks in Boise and Mtn Home what part are you in?
FI would be nice but unless you have a money tree in the back yard ...... I was fighting my Edlebrock 600 cfm for a long time. Plus with the metering rods and jet combo its a pain in the ass. I found a new in the box old school Holley 650 double pumper on Amazon for $289+ tax and shipping. Put that baby on fired right up, set the fuel air and she's running better than ever.
Let me where in ID you are, I have to go back to Twin falls, Pocotello, and Chubbuck (sp) in late sept.
Hope to see you at the WCR
T

Thanks Tony. We'll see how this carb works out. It probably needs a rebuilt. I really haven't had the chance to play with it; but I will now!

I live about 15 miles west of Boise, in a town called Star. Let me know when you come back to the area; we'll try to hook up!

Won't make it to WCR this year. I've got relatives visiting from Sicily, so I'll be entertaining them instead!
sawtooth
smilie_pokal.gif Nice Tony. Exhaust sounds fantastic.
karmanbuilt
Hey....I know that car! I know you've put a lot of time and effort in getting your ride on the road, and you deserve a big beer.gif congrats. BTW are you done with school yet? Remine me not to race you....at least not in my teener, maybe the wife's GT. O.K. let's get together to see those cars.
Gene
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(karmanbuilt @ May 13 2011, 08:49 AM) *

Hey....I know that car! I know you've put a lot of time and effort in getting your ride on the road, and you deserve a big beer.gif congrats. BTW are you done with school yet? Remine me not to race you....at least not in my teener, maybe the wife's GT. O.K. let's get together to see those cars.
Gene

Thanks Gene! Still working out some of the "kinks", but we're getting there!

Yup, just finished with school... now I just need to find a job!

How's your car coming along? I'd like to see it!

I agree, let's get together soon. Wed, Fri or Sat evenings work the best for me.
burton73
I was just looking at your build thread and question the airflow from the front. Have you tried removing the front license plate? If that helps you may also open up some of the fiberglass on the bottom of your bumper and see if that helps with more airflow. If I remember the front of the Chalon kit was formed from a 74 on front 911bumper and a turbo bottom valance rubber trim.

Not sure that you showed us the amount of metal removed on the factory 914 nose.

It seams that you need flow based on in flow through the front and out flow through the fenders, see what the sq. inches of cut outs you have leaving and SQ inches of cut outs for inflow. Somewhere there is back pleasure where it is not flowing. I do not think opening up more holes in the fenders will help you.

Bob B
AZBanks
I just spent last week in Boise. I didn't know that there were any teeners in town.

Nice Chalon. My son and I are building one. Maybe he'll drive it up to Boise one summer. He works summers on our cousins cattle ranch in the south west corner of ID.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.