Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle 14500 may be FS soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
This Creamsicle LE has been my daily driver for several years now, but I may need to pass it on to its next owner soon due to family needs changes. It has been very reliable and starts every time, I drive this car everywhere without hesitation. The paint in the photos is not as nice in reality, it has one repaint many years ago. A good driver quality car, concours its not, although it did place third in a local show in 2009. The 2.0L engine compression is an even 115 psi all around, and it does burn a little oil. A new clutch and front brakes were done in the last year or two and I emphatically change the oil at 3K intervals. Original engine/trans, and heat exchangers, the car is all stock including the radio, except for the hood crest. Interior is impeccable, 99.99% excellent and I have a new set of perfect new charcoal carpets for it. Exterior could use some love but its nice from 10 ft. Fuel injected, the engine bay harnesses are great!

Car spent most of its time in AZ and NorCal, no rust anywhere, its a very dry car. 1 of only 92 Creamsicles in existence, has COA.

What does the wisdom of the board feel its worth and is there any interest in the car in this economy?
JeffBowlsby
Mo' biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
Man, I'm in lovewith that car, wishI had the room.
Mark Henry
Bad time to sell, here it would be more like $12-14K easy. Another one of the of the 92 is just down the road from me:)
Mike Bellis
I've seen this car. VERY PRETTY! Selling is always a sad day.

Jeff, what are you going to do with the other two in the garage?
Tom_T
Sorry to hear that you have to part with your baby Jeff! sad.gif

NADA Classics gives twice your poll's values range for a plain old 74 914-2.0 - let alone an LE, but your zip code may give you slightly different values (back track at the link below to enter your own info.) -

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=...92867&da=-1

$12,750 - $14,450 - $18,900 < & having seen your car I think it's in the mid-to-hi range plus an LE premium.
... btw, those are retail prices based on recent sales, used as a guideline for NADA dealer members to price cars & consumers to figure sales/purchases/trade-ins, but can be low for an unusual, concours or special/limited edition vehicle of any make in the Classics arena.

Trouble will be length of time to sell it in this economy, but you might see if Barry B. is looking again.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
siverson
I'd like to see more pictures, but it looks like a $10k+ car at least (to me)...

-Steve
ConeDodger
Yup, NADA Classic values START higher than the lowest range in your poll. Sell it internationally and get all of the value.
Andyrew
I think the 14500 should sell for 14500.

Gustl
Jeff, if I would be in the market for a -4 I'd send you the highest amount from your poll in a minute !!!!

If I would have enaugh space and money I'd buy it anyway - I always loved the LEs wub.gif

In my eyes your price range is much too low for such a rare and high grade original car.
You can do a new paint for money, but you can't buy back originality !!

good luck with your sale !!!
I hope it will get a good new home ...
watsonrx13
Jeff sorry to hear you have to sell the LE. sad.gif
I wouldn't sell it for less than $15,000. shades.gif
Good luck.

-- Rob
qa1142
Jeff

Let me put it this way, my 1974 Olympic Blue with 64K miles is insured for $10K in Chicago, IL no questions asked from the insurance company.

And, I bet my car is not as nice as yours given it is mid-west car vs Calf car.

I would love to sell mine and come get yours

idea.gif
914Sixer
I will continue to say these cars are way under priced!! They are RARER than the 914-6 but no one seems to be listening. $15K is a more realistic price but only due to the economy.

EdwardBlume
Irrespective of the value, is NOW really a good time to sell a rare 914?

It doesn't fit in my garage right now, but I would be very tempted to make a car as original and rare as yours as my next restoration....

Oh, and I voted the max value even with the oil consumption
balljoint
Go East young man and get a pile more dough for your ride. Your Poll does not go high enough.
Lennies914
Spend some money advertising and get top dollar. Hopefully you're not in a hurry to sell it and can wait for the right price.
tod914
Jeff the car shows really well in your pictures. Start your poll at 10K and go up from there smile.gif. That car definetly has appreciation in the future, as you know better than any of us. Battery tray and all the other key areas are good I pressume? If you have the time, start showing at weeknite car shows, etc. You'll be surprized how many people really love these cars. Bet you'll be able to get more for it outside a 914 site. Ebay great exposure. Pano, local PCA board. Hope all goes well for you. At a recent weeknite show, an older couple was looking at my car and asked if it was for sale. I was away at the time, and Ray gave them a crazy number and their responce was, "I'd have to drive it first". So you never know.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I just paid 20 for a black one that does not look as nice as yours! Hold on to it Jeff. It was YOU who promoted and did the research on these cars so you deserve to own several of them and show them off. The man does not sell HIS car.
It would be like ME selling my 916!!!!! DON"T DO IT

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 23 2010, 10:31 PM) *

This Creamsicle LE has been my daily driver for several years now, but I may need to pass it on to its next owner soon due to family needs changes. It has been very reliable and starts every time, I drive this car everywhere without hesitation. The paint in the photos is not as nice in reality, it has one repaint many years ago. A good driver quality car, concours its not, although it did place third in a local show in 2009. The 2.0L engine compression is an even 115 psi all around, and it does burn a little oil. A new clutch and front brakes were done in the last year or two and I emphatically change the oil at 3K intervals. Original engine/trans, and heat exchangers, the car is all stock including the radio, except for the hood crest. Interior is impeccable, 99.99% excellent and I have a new set of perfect new charcoal carpets for it. Exterior could use some love but its nice from 10 ft. Fuel injected, the engine bay harnesses are great!

Car spent most of its time in AZ and NorCal, no rust anywhere, its a very dry car. 1 of only 92 Creamsicles in existence, has COA.

What does the wisdom of the board feel its worth and is there any interest in the car in this economy?

JRust
Jeff I would think it is the 15k range. I am hoping to be in that range with mine. While it is fresh & restored. I have to battle the salvadged title. Being a CA & Arizona car I am sure rust is not a big problem. Do what I am considering & list it on German Ebay. You will get top dollar plus. You will have to help with shipping but big deal. I know you have more LE's so you'll be okay. Just let me know what you get for it chowtime.gif
PanelBilly
You need to create a web page with tons of detail. Tell every detail so there's no questions about the quality of the car. Then put it on ebay for $20000 and reference your web page. Let ebay find your buyer. Set the sell date way out so your ad runs a long time. Someone will come along who will love the car enough to come up with a load of cash.
Gustl
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 24 2010, 03:43 PM) *

Do what I am considering & list it on German Ebay. You will get top dollar plus.

don't know if that's it idea.gif

currently the US$ - EUR conversion isn't that good

and in addition - there's hardly any interest in the LEs in Germany
I have no idea why, but these cars are not very popular confused24.gif
hardly anybody likes the colour combo or recognizes the rarity

I think PanelBilly's idea would be better

just my 2 ct ...

championgt1
I love your car. IMO it is worth way more that 10K.

Kinda off topic. What color combo are your coco mats?

Sorry for the hijack.
underthetire
Well i was tempted to say the lowest value since that would give me a shot to just run over and pick it up! I would say 14K would be realistic in this market.
Nürburg Nomad
I agree about KEEPING IT! biggrin.gif As far as classic cars go you really couldn't pick much smaller ones so it's not like it would take up much space or $$ being somewhat idle...

If you do sell it though an authentic Creamsicle deserves its share of $$$, my 72' 914 is appraised/insured for $13K and it's listed as having 164,000 miles!(DMV rounded up with new speedo/odo ugh!) did I mention it's nearly rust free! piratenanner.gif Therefore your Creamsicle should go for more than mine... and my paint isn't a shining example of a show car either! tongue.gif
avidfanjpl
Hey Jeff,

Yesterday I was at Del Mar at a large customer event. There was a Brit there that buys cars here and sells them in Europe.

His words echoed what Wolfgang just said. The Euro is so low compared to the USD that all sales and prospects he has have all fallen flat in June/July. He typically does 15 cars and 10 SUV's annually, all medium to high-end collectable, and some Porsche's. His wife had a 72 1.7 for years.

We talked extensively about his 2 Porsches/2 Land Rovers and my Orangina. And about the market.

He is not sure when it will change, but Monday the ECB is going to review AGAIN all the banks that hardly managed to survive the EU bank stress test. Expect volatility for a few months. He is hunkering down for a flat fall/winter.

And I think 14K is a good price here to start for your snappy creamsicle.

Don't stop making those harnesses! I will get to getting one at some point!

John
mepstein
Search Ebay for sold LE's. Then at least you'll know what the market is or isn't on ebay land. Ebay certainly isn't the definitive pricing guide for cars but at least it shows past sales, something very hard to get anywhere else.
kkid
It's priceless.
Keep it!
914werke
I didnt vote. the provided options dont go HIGH enough!
Its #'s matching!!
I say its worth more.
markb
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jul 24 2010, 01:39 PM) *

I didnt vote. the provided options dont go HIGH enough!
Its #'s matching!!
I say its worth more.

agree.gif
Rav914
Regardless of the board’s desire for you to keep it, sell it if you have to. As far as the ebullient flurry of high five-figure values, it’s worth what a buyer is willing to pay. Don’t know about you but I haven’t seen many 914’s going for much above 10K unless it’s a six. Sorry for the pessimistic outlook. The market is down. The stray data point of some car selling for outrageous money is not the norm. Auction results in SCM are not the market in general. The VAT is negating any savings in Euro to USD.

Me personally, I’d hire a professional photographer to take photographs. Sell the pedigree, it’s rarity, and your expertise with the LE’s. Put it on Ebay for 29 days and see what you can come up with.

Best of luck.
realred914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 24 2010, 07:33 AM) *

I just paid 20 for a black one that does not look as nice as yours! Hold on to it Jeff. It was YOU who promoted and did the research on these cars so you deserve to own several of them and show them off. The man does not sell HIS car.
It would be like ME selling my 916!!!!! DON"T DO IT

Jeff is selling beucase of family priorities.

George got his priorities all mixxed up. what a bunch of crap. a real man takes care of his family first, not some car. get real. family or car,? you would be the family man from hell if your car came first over family responsiblities.

give the guy a break, he he might rather keep the car, instead he is taking care of family first, like a real man would.

"the man does not sell his car" is a BS statement. folks got to support family first, and that is highly admirable, maybe not to you, but it is to most folks.
JeffBowlsby
WOW! Thanks guys for the great feedback. Most of you think its a high value car...I dunno...It has some nice qualities, but not as nice as many that I see on this board.

There is no financial necessity to sell it, its just become an extra vehicle. I am not going away from 914s anytime soon, and the harnesses will still be in full production for as long as I can see into the future. I have 2 other LEs in my garage that could use my attention so I will still be very much in the action.

The coco mats are black with an orange dot. :kuhl: Luv 'em.

If anyone is truly interested in this car, talk to me before I go to the trouble of shining her up and putting the FS sign on which will happen soon.
rhodyguy
ask a ton and maybe try an ad in hemmings.
johannes
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 24 2010, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 24 2010, 03:43 PM) *

Do what I am considering & list it on German Ebay. You will get top dollar plus.

don't know if that's it idea.gif

currently the US$ - EUR conversion isn't that good

and in addition - there's hardly any interest in the LEs in Germany
I have no idea why, but these cars are not very popular confused24.gif
hardly anybody likes the colour combo or recognizes the rarity

I think PanelBilly's idea would be better

just my 2 ct ...

I agree. Very few people know about the LE in Europe. There is no demand for such cars.
detoxcowboy
$10k+ beerchug.gif
Tom_T
Jeff - keep it if you can, then you'll have enough 914 LEs with the others to pass one along to each kid! biggrin.gif

Otherwise, per the NADA values I'd say that you're at least in the $15-20k range - if not north of $20k if the small issues were fixed before you sell, & if you can be patient. Ergo I didn't vote the poll either! shades.gif

I think the others voting the poll for $10k & less are hoping you give them a real deal! laugh.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 26 2010, 04:42 AM) *

Jeff - keep it if you can, then you'll have enough 914 LEs with the others to pass one along to each kid! biggrin.gif

Otherwise, per the NADA values I'd say that you're at least in the $15-20k range - if not north of $20k if the small issues were fixed before you sell, & if you can be patient. Ergo I didn't vote the poll either! shades.gif

I think the others voting the poll for $10k & less are hoping you give them a real deal! laugh.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif

Tom - How about you buy the car from Jeff for $15K, fix the small issues and then sell for $20K+. Then everyone wins. biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for the compliments on the car guys, but I dont think this is a $15-20K car. For anyone thats serious, I'd entertain offers of $9-10K. If someone thinks thats a deal...SHOW ME THE MONEY....

biggrin.gif

creamsicle914.jpg
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 23 2010, 10:31 PM) *

I voted "$9-10K?" but only because you forgot to add an option that reflects the real value of that car.

If as described, i would price it in the $15k+ range ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Drums66
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 26 2010, 09:43 AM) *

Thanks for the compliments on the car guys, but I dont think this is a $15-20K car. For anyone thats serious, I'd entertain offers of $9-10K. If someone thinks thats a deal...SHOW ME THE MONEY....

biggrin.gif

creamsicle914.jpg

..I 2nd that 1.....that"s
being realistic!...."SHOW ME THE MONEY" idea.gif bye1.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2010, 05:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 26 2010, 04:42 AM) *

Good Luck! beerchug.gif

Tom - How about you buy the car from Jeff for $15K, fix the small issues and then sell for $20K+. Then everyone wins. biggrin.gif

Mark - I've got enough on my hands trying to get my 73 2L restored & running, keeping up with our other 3 "classic" shades.gif `85 & `88 cars & our 1921 house + my daughter's wedding! biggrin.gif

If I were to do another 914, it might be a narrow body real -6. idea.gif
... but I can do that only AFTER I raise the garage roof enough to accommodate a couple of side-by-side lifts or a double/2-car lift! dry.gif

shades.gif
charliew
Too me if the body doesn't have any rust issues that makes it at least in the 9k arena especially because of the originality. The interior looks great. Did you ever mention mileage? I'm guessing it's a lot since you said it's a dd.
charliew
Not a big deal but the cl car seems to have a sunroof.
Tom_T
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 26 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Too me if the body doesn't have any rust issues that makes it at least in the 9k arena especially because of the originality. The interior looks great. Did you ever mention mileage? I'm guessing it's a lot since you said it's a dd.

It would seem that we need more details & pix on the issues Jeff has mentioned early on here, but which doesn't show up on his older pix as posted. There could be substantial costs in body-n-paint &/or mechanical issues which need to be sorted out, the cost of which would back down from the $15-19k mid-to-high range that NADA lists, let alone the cost to go to CW level.

I'm guessing that Jeff knows this better than any of us! biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
SOLD
Daiberl
Wow, does that mean we have another LE in the Northwest??
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Jul 29 2010, 07:14 PM) *

Wow, does that mean we have another LE in the Northwest??

Yes I'll bring it to the BBQ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.