Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 25k original mile barn find...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tat2dphreak
http://picasaweb.google.com/wafry1975/Rock...feat=directlink

I think this car could be as original as I've seen... original paint, everything. very nice.

I did this PPI last week for a potential buyer, and I waited to share until the car had sold.

let me know what you guys think...

it had a little battery tray surface rust, but other then that, it looked as good as a car could possibly look for being in storage since 1987...

bembry
Wow--like a time capsule. What did it sell for?
tat2dphreak
I'm not sure on the final price.... but I can tell you the buyer got a bargain imo. smile.gif
tat2dphreak
the car was stored in a garage, with a cover all this time, btw.
Rav914
Coincidence. My '74 1.8 was parked in 1987 as well but with 48K on the clock. That car looks great. It'll clean up very well.
tod914
Very nice find. Wayne, did the motor turn? Spoke to the owner for a while. Seems he has been away from it for some time.
tat2dphreak
I did not try to start it, I didn't want to pump any bad gas in. and with 2 flats it would not have pushed easily. however, I don't think the motor was siezed.
Niklas
looks very great !!
Jacob
OH! That is what a 914 is supposed to look like, without all the bondo and overspray! biggrin.gif
Thanks!
Ericv1
It would be nice to find a car like that. I love the color.
dr914@autoatlanta.com

A lucky man got this one. Certainly needs to be returned to its original state with a factory muffler and styled steel wheels.
Its going to take quite a bit to get it running and serviced, that if for sure

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 24 2010, 02:54 PM) *

http://picasaweb.google.com/wafry1975/Rock...feat=directlink

I think this car could be as original as I've seen... original paint, everything. very nice.

I did this PPI last week for a potential buyer, and I waited to share until the car had sold.

let me know what you guys think...

it had a little battery tray surface rust, but other then that, it looked as good as a car could possibly look for being in storage since 1987...

tat2dphreak
oh, the original steel wheels were with the car, just not on. still had the original tires smile.gif

but yea, it needs a factory muffler, too.

the needs I noted were:
clutch kit(I'm assuming)... I know the clutch and flywheel could rust together.
fuel lines in tunnel
fuel tank clean and lining
all rubber fuel lines replaced
rubber brake lines,
rebuilt calipers
new rotors(or turned at the least)

the seals and rubber bumper tops were nice, none seemed dried and cracked
I didn't see anything else that was glaring. I'm sure the engine will need a big cleaning/flush.

but really.... I think what's needed would be well worth it for such a nice find...
RFoulds
I posted this on the classified forum, but I will let that post go, and keep this one updated.

Yes, I bought it. smile.gif

Thanks to KarmannRick for posting it, (even though you took a bunch of crap for not including price) and a BIG thanks to Wayne Fry for checking the car out and taking the pics.

The car has an interesting history, and I can't wait to get it in my hands here in Palm Desert. I'm searching for transport today. If anyone knows of a tranporter other than the big guys, let me know.

I will try to post pics and progress reports as work begins putting this car back on the road. Anyone in the Palm Springs, Palm Desert area, you are welcome to come and see it once we get her home.

Randy
tod914
Congrads Randy. Best of luck with it.
Randy,
Great find really like the color.I would not over restore it but keep some
of the patina.Ive got a weekend place down in South Palm Springs
and have been thinking to bring down one of the 914's to keep down
there,what do you think about the garage storage heat factor on
the parts?? I know many people have collector cars down there
and store them in the garage over the summer mo.Would
love to come by to see it.I was thinking to bring down my 4 down
there that ive owned for 35 years.. Good luck...
Take Care,Alan

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 26 2010, 08:27 AM) *

I posted this on the classified forum, but I will let that post go, and keep this one updated.

Thanks to KarmannRick for posting it, (even though you took a bunch of crap for not including price) and a BIG thanks to Wayne Fry for checking the car out and taking the pics.

The car has an interesting history, and I can't wait to get it in my hands here in Palm Desert. I'm searching for transport today. If anyone knows of a tranporter other than the big guys, let me know.

I will try to post pics and progress reports as work begins putting this car back on the road. Anyone in the Palm Springs, Palm Desert area, you are welcome to come and see it once we get her home.

Randy
Pat Garvey
Really nice car. Good color too.

But let's be a little realistic here. Just so you know what will be needed to put the car on the road.

13 years of storage...ancient gas, that has undoubtedly ruined the tank, pump, injectors & several other near-unobtainium parts. Every single FI rubber component (lines, boots, etc) will need to be replaced.

Brake calipers will need to be replaced/rebuilt, as well as rubber lines & probably master cylinder.

Every single electrical contact will need to be cleaned up.

The stitching in those seats is so old that who knows what will happen when someone sits on them.

Front & rear bumper tops are probably shot, but easily replaced (Mikey914).

Dammit, sorry I missed it! Have all the parts.
Pat

tat2dphreak
Pat, while I agree on some of what you are saying, some things I disagree on... since I've been in the car, and touched it...

it wasn't actually IN a barn... it was stored in a garage, and covered on top of that... it had not been out of the cover until I got there...

the bumper tops are actually in great shape, still pliable, and look and feel new. the seats are fine, the stitching is perfect... I think you'll be surprised...

yes, every fuel line and rubber bit should be replaced for peace of mind, including the tunnel fuel lines replaced with metal. ditto on the rubber brake lines... the calipers probably need a rebuild, and M/C too, again, more for peace of mind than anything...

but imo the car was stored well, the gas tank probably needs a flush and boil... but I doubt it will need replacing...
SirAndy
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 26 2010, 08:27 AM) *

So, are you the one who posted on the boxster board saying that you were just going to clean it up and flip it for a hefty profit?

biggrin.gif Andy
RFoulds
Not quite how i phrased it, but yes. Hefty Profit? No. Just clean it up? No.

I hope to get it back on the road first, then decide if its going to be a concours car in Preservation class, or just a really clean, low mileage driver. Either way, it will be for sale once its complete.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.