Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB engine rebuild kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
70_914
Been looking around for a rebuild kit for my 1.8 and haven't had much luck. There are some on Ebay with all the bearings, gaskets and rings for $329 but who knows what you are getting... I checked AA but the web site is a little 'tarded and I can't find a kit, only a bunch of individual parts. Anybody got a lead on where to buy a decent kit?

Thanks!

Kevin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 24 2010, 09:24 PM) *

Been looking around for a rebuild kit for my 1.8 and haven't had much luck. There are some on Ebay with all the bearings, gaskets and rings for $329 but who knows what you are getting... I checked AA but the web site is a little 'tarded and I can't find a kit, only a bunch of individual parts. Anybody got a lead on where to buy a decent kit?

Until you measure everything, how would you know what you need?
You can usually get a gasket & seal set, but all the other parts are typically bought individually since they come in various sizes to correspond to the machining that's been done.
70_914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 25 2010, 03:22 AM) *

QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 24 2010, 09:24 PM) *

Until you measure everything, how would you know what you need?
You can usually get a gasket & seal set, but all the other parts are typically bought individually since they come in various sizes to correspond to the machining that's been done.

I know I need standard parts. Engine is apart and ready for assembly. Thanks for the response with no answers...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 25 2010, 02:02 PM) *

Thanks for the response with no answers...

I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, so I'll try again.

There are no 'full kits' because all the bearings come in about 3 sizes each.

You buy the gasket kit and then the bearings you need a la cart.

Pelican is a good source for one-stop shopping; so is Engine Builders Supply.
There are others.
Ericv1
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 25 2010, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(70_914 @ Jul 25 2010, 02:02 PM) *

Thanks for the response with no answers...

I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, so I'll try again.

There are no 'full kits' because all the bearings come in about 3 sizes each.

You buy the gasket kit and then the bearings you need a la cart.

Pelican is a good source for one-stop shopping; so is Engine Builders Supply.
There are others.

Pelican's an excellent resource. Their shipping and customer service are top notch.
70_914
I am amazed that the only person who can put together an entire package is selling his parts on Ebay.

"Hi! Driving Source NW, how can I help you?"
"I need a complete engine kit for my 1974 914 1.8."
"What size bearings?"
"Standard."
"Perfect, I will get that right out..."

or

"Hi! Porsche experts, how can I help you?"
"I need a complete engine kit for my 1974 914 1.8."
"You need to order that all seperate."
"I don't have time for your BS, I thought you guys worked on this stuff?!?!?"
"It is too difficult for us to possibly think that you would be interested in building an engine with all the parts. Did you want valves too? Yeah, those come seperate. Rings? Nobody has ever bought all that stuff together..."
underthetire
Too many variables for a one size fits all kit. Piston rings alone probably 5 different choices. What oil pump are you gonna run, what cam? What shims for the cylinders, valve guides, the list goes on and on. A one size fits all just means your gonna be sending parts back and forth till you get stuff that works.
G e o r g e
here is a upgrade complete kit for your 1.8 kit
jsaum
I've had good service from DSNW, real honest guy!
Jsaum
Speedster Mike
You might want to call the Type IV Store and talk to Dean or the Main Man ...JAKE RABY. They can fix you up!
Cheapsnake
I've got to agree with you Kevin. Why is it so difficult to put a package together with options for different machinings? I work on small block Fords and Rover V8's and it's quite common to order complete rebuild packages. You simply specify the over/under sizes needed for bearings, bores, rings, etc.

I think DSNW has got it figured out.

Tom
markb
1 phone call to us, with your engine info, and we can get you a kit put together. So can most others. You only need to tell us what you have, and what you want to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.