Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Race Car Value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
MrBMW2002
I am trying to figure a fair value 2 914 race cars. They both appear to been setup correctly and with high dollars spent on them. I hope there are some 914 gurus out there that can enlighten me on a price. Here are some pics and I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Brad

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii152/M...002/914racecar/
john rogers
No picts there it seems?
MrBMW2002
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii152/M...002/914racecar/

Oops. Pics added.
Thanks,
Brad
john rogers
If you are thinking about either of them, I would go with the red/silver/black car first as it seems to be a bit better made. I would ask the following questions:
- Do they have log books, if so read them carefully as they will show what has happened over the years.
- How many hours on the engine and trans. Assume worst case and figure the engine will need an overhaul, expensive for a race engine.
- Who did the work and are there any receipts or records.
- What is the trans gearing, what clutch is in each.
- Who maintained them when racing.
- Where did they race and what sort of results did the cars have. I saw some inspection stickers on them so that means they have passed tech and should be good to go.
- How old and what type are the belts? FIA labeled belts last longer before replacement.
- What spares come with them.

Things I don't really like are the puke tank in the driver's compt. The oil cooler in the pink car is mounted strange and if the air outlet is to be the normal vent inlet that is actually a very high pressure area so the cooler will not be real effective? Ask what the price is and let us know.
brilliantrot
If I am not mistaken, both these cars were built and maintained by Bontempi. I Bought a couple sets of wheels from the owner and there was tons and tons of money dumped into these cars, the red/silver/orange car in particular. The white and pink one was for sale before and I believe it was listed at $10k. There are also boxes and boxes of parts with these cars if they have not been sold off already including a transmission geared for every west coast track.
john rogers
The amount of $$$$$$ spent on a race car is not as important as HOW it was spent and what the final product turned out to be like.
J P Stein
My take is..... in good times you're damn lucky to get .50 cents per dollar invested.
In times like these, I'd jump at half that.

If I had to put a number on the Orange/Black one....15K depending on spares.
The "buzz" on a race car is best at the beginning of the sale period. Over pricing can kill you right up front.
BTW, I sold my race car bout a year ago. I figured it was worth more parted out than whole.....but sold it whole. The parts market is still ....decent
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 28 2010, 08:46 AM) *

My take is..... in good times you're damn lucky to get .50 cents per dollar invested.
In times like these, I'd jump at half that.

If I had to put a number on the Orange/Black one....15K depending on spares.
The "buzz" on a race car is best at the beginning of the sale period. Over pricing can kill you right up front.
BTW, I sold my race car bout a year ago. I figured it was worth more parted out than whole.....but sold it whole. The parts market is still ....decent

agree.gif And really you are lucky to get half of what you have into it. I know I could have parted mine out for more than I sold it for but I really would like to buy it back someday. Parting it out kinda makes that impossible huh.gif
brilliantrot
100% agree on the part out as I am starting to consider it. There is over $100k in parts in my race car plus the cost of a low mileage 98 C2S (only made 993 of them) and there is little interest in it at $33k. It is kinda depressing.
MrBMW2002
Is there any interest here for an offer on the pair?
Thanks,
BRad
J P Stein
I know the Porsche parts market pretty well......what's hot & what's not and where to advertise.....here, for instance. As a seller, you take the biggest hits on the hi-dollar items .....like engines. With that in mind I stated pricing out my bits starting at the fromt bumper & working aft. When I got to the rear bumper I noticed it was gone....oops, 50 bucks gone. biggrin.gif then totaled it up. 21000 and I still hadn't included the tub/with cage....or the truck, trailer, & spares. I was asking for 22K for the whole works....got 20 less most of the spares & the truck.

The spares & tools (.50 on the dollar most, .75 for the hot stuff ) went quick & I got my asking price for those......and 2nd or 3rd buyers should the first in line pass.

Taking the thing apart would have been a major bummer but I was fully prepared to do it.

BTW, Evan, if you do decide to part it out, sell the motor first with it in the car & runing.....offer to take it to a chassis dyno with the prospective buyer in tow. All the paper work from Joe Hero's Engine Shop don't mean squat unless it runs good. Good plug-in-&-play motors can be tough to find....you may even get .50 on the buck.
MrBMW2002
I thought 17.5k was fair for both. Any thoughts?
brilliantrot
$17.5k sound more than fair for the pair but trying to find someone who wants one EP car let alone two is likely easier said than done. There aren't many people looking to buy 914 race cars.

JP if I do part it out, I will likely keep the motor for my own future project. Hard to argue with 300+ reliable hp.
J P Stein
Your pricing is more than reasonable.......that is a hell of a buy if they are both running and in good order.
DblDog
Some additional information: I knew the owner of these cars...a lot of time effort and $$$$ went into both of them. Any buyer should be aware that both of them were stored indoors and that the last time they saw a race track was probably 20 years ago...they have not been started since. I could be wrong, but shouldn't be they disassembled and checked out before the go out on the track again. An expensive proposition even if you did the work yourself...They're probably, in their current state, museum pieces at best...parting out may be the way to go.
jhadler
Also keep in mind something else... The cost of buying a race car is only a small fraction of the cost of keeping, maintaining and campaigning a race car.

Especially more highly prepared and developed cars. Factor in things like towing/travel costs, registration fees, race gas (way more expensive than pump gas), race tires (lots of slicks for a prod car), brakes, rotors, and we're only on the list of expected things. Factor in the repair of eventual mechanical failures (or body work) and you can get in pretty deep, pretty quick.

I'm not saying don't jump on 'em. Those cars seem to have been well built, but buying them isn't the same as keeping them. Just make sure your eyes are open.

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.