Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 bumper vents
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solo1
my 72 914 has the typical bumper, would like to upgrade to a chrome one. Anyway there are vents on thecorners that seem to lead to nothing, first whats the point of the vents and two can lamps be mounted in the spaces and still have the grill panel over the lights. also can the horn mounted on the left/drivers side be moved over slightly to locate lamps?
cobra94563
QUOTE(solo1 @ Jul 26 2010, 08:17 AM) *

my 72 914 has the typical bumper, would like to upgrade to a chrome one. Anyway there are vents on thecorners that seem to lead to nothing, first whats the point of the vents and two can lamps be mounted in the spaces and still have the grill panel over the lights. also can the horn mounted on the left/drivers side be moved over slightly to locate lamps?

my 74 has the fog lights and full grilles covering. Horn is also in there. (all stock)
Tom_T

Those aren't really vents per se, but grills for the horn sound to come out, & for fog/driving lights if you got that option or they came with the entire Appearance Group of options.

If you stick with the OE horns & lights, then you locate a set of 70-74 fog/driving lights (look on here etc. FS parts), then they'll mount to the front body panel in the pic below (red arrow) without moving the horn(s), & you can also get either a pair or the 2nd dual tone horns & mount the 2nd one on the pass. side - as came with the Appearance Group options often included with the chrome bumpers. Not need to move anything, but you may need to add in wiring if your harness doesn't have the fog & horn pigtails - or if a DAPO clipped them off like mine! dry.gif

Then you get new or used chrome fog light grills (new OEM still available, & Mark W./Mikey914 in the member vendor section on here is perfecting his repro ones).

The hole with the red arrow is the DS fog/driving light mounting hole/integral nut, & the hole other diagonally above-left above the black plastic plug is where the horn bracket mounts -

Click to view attachment

Same thing L&R sides - here with my bumper removed -

Click to view attachment

You may also want to upgrade to the 80/100 hi-power H4 conversion & relay kit for your headlights to see better (available from AA, PP/Automotion, Pelican, SMC, BusDepot, etc.), as well as get JWest's foglight flash kit which allows you to flash your foglights when the headlights are down in daylight.
shades.gif
Tom_T
Here's what they should look like on a 73 914-2.0 with chrome bumpers (more pix on this 914 at O&H Forum's "The few, the rare..." nailed topic) -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

BTW - I don't recco a full grill with foglights, since you'll be both cutting out 1/2 your light output, then directing what you've got on the ground in front of you & pretty much useless for driving.

Solo1 - check out Mikey914's fog lught grills & see if his crhome ones are out yet, or if you're is a painted bumper, then his black ones have been available for awhile & less than OEM, look like a perfect match (as with all/most of his stuff) & made with stroger polycarbonate IIRC. Don't keep those full horn grills on yours IMHO.
biggrin.gif
buhs914
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Jul 26 2010, 08:23 AM) *

my 74 has the fog lights and full grilles covering. Horn is also in there. (all stock)

You have any pics? I was curious about this subject as well. I know it would block some of the light but how much exactly? I wonder if those Pilot lights would be a better fit than the OEM fogs.
solo1
Who rocks? you guys rock. thanks for the advice and help.
McMark
agree.gif Lights will fit behind the 'full grills'. There are pictures here on the board, but I'm not going to do your searching for you. ph34r.gif
solo1
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 27 2010, 02:01 PM) *

agree.gif Lights will fit behind the 'full grills'. There are pictures here on the board, but I'm not going to do your searching for you. ph34r.gif

seriously you really wont search the million and a half pages for the one photo of the lights behind the grill? Im crushed. what if i said i was like the stephan hawking guy and had to search these venerated pages using only a pencil in my mouth, one letter at a time?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(solo1 @ Jul 29 2010, 08:37 AM) *

seriously you really wont search the million and a half pages for the one photo of the lights behind the grill? Im crushed. what if i said i was like the stephan hawking guy and had to search these venerated pages using only a pencil in my mouth, one letter at a time?

If you were like that, you wouldn't need fog lights. Or a horn, for that matter.

The Cap'n
solo1
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 29 2010, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(solo1 @ Jul 29 2010, 08:37 AM) *

If you were like that, you wouldn't need fog lights. Or a horn, for that matter.

The Cap'n

your right. now you have to excuse me I have to go adjust the raccoon tail flag on my Rascal scooter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.