Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New chrome lug bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Fellas:
I was all ready to put on my cool new chrome 914 lug bolts I bought from a guy on eBay a while back and I noticed something.
Besides being 17mm instead of 19mm (no biggy), the bottom of the head that touches the rim is at a slightly different angle which doesn't fit in the "cup" on my factory Mahle (gas burners) as snuggly as my old lug bolts did. My old bolts worked fine, but I was getting tired of them getting surface rust on them everytime they got wet, so I got the chromies.
Has anyone else noticed this fit thing? They'd look really cool on my car, but I'm concerned they wouldn't be safe with my Mahles. Any thoughts?
Thanks guys.
Andy...
morph
i got the same set up. and have had the same thing on my mind i love the lug bolts.they look great.mine dont have a complete contact either but they havent caused me any probs "yet"
since you dont have full contact you have more stess on a smaller area my worry has been my mahle cracking ohmy.gif
914zim
I hear ya. Thanks for the reply and pic. That looks great!
Your Mahles look in better shape than mine too. Cracking one of them would be a real drag!!
I've cleaned up my orginal bolts with a wire wheel and smeared them with some vaseline, which should help keep them from rusting up.
I guess I'll keep what I got. The guy who sold the chromies to me said he'd give me a refund, but now I'm thinking I'll sell them on eBay myself a little cheaper and let the buyer pay shipping! laugh.gif
Good luck!
Andy...
John Kelly
I don't know if this helps but there are little adaptor washers available for using lug nuts that have a conical seat with wheels that have a spherical seat.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
boxstr
Bought the same ones on ebay, I am not going to use them, they look and feel way to narrow at the nut end. Not satisfied.
CCLINDOH
Joe Bob
Those 17mm have been around for awhile....they suck.

If "I" had a set of 19s....I would buff them out and hit them with a clear or black to seal them to keep the rust off....or use the stock plastic nut covers....
boxstr
Only reason I bought them was to get a little more "length", I know reinsert and shorten stroke laugh.gif
I was putting on some Empi type wheels.
CCLINOHWELL
914zim
Thanks guys.
I emailed the guy (Jim Corrigan - futureguy7@yahoo.com) and he'll let me send them back for a full refund ($62).
Too bad for me I have to eat the initial $10 shipping charge and pay again to send them back - oh well.
I'm glad I can get my money back, but I don't think he should advertise that they fit all stock wheels - they will not (properly).
Like Mikez said, I buffed the original bolts out and coated them with vaseline. Should be alright.
mikester
If he advertised on evilbay that they would fit the 914 with a cone instead of a dome shape then he advertised them incorrectly (knowingly or unknowningly) and HE should eat the shipping charges. If he's a standup guy who has made a mistake he will do it without question but if he's not - he won't. I would give him negative feedback if he won't take them back and pay the shipping.

If I made that mistake - I would.
914zim
Well, I returned tthe lug bolts today.
I also mentioned my shipping charges ($5.75 w/confirmation) and told him I'd leave it up to him if he wanted to reimburse me for that. I also suggested that he NOT advertise they'll fit stock Mahles wheels, cause they don't.
Do a search on eBay for 914 lug bolts if you want to see his eBay listing.
Thanks fellas,
Andy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.