Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - US vs ROW 1969 911 transmission Clutch fork
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cupomeat
OK, this might have direct correlation to 914s, but I marked it as OT anyway.

We are now installing the 911 (901) transmission that we had Evil rebuild into my dad's 1969 911S. The transmission recently rebuilt is the US version of the proper transmission for the car and the current transmission is the Euro (ROW) version of the proper year/car.

Now, the guy (my dad's mechanic) looking at it right now says that the clutch throwout arm's pivot location is 5 mm different between the US and ROW transmissions (the bell housings look different as well).

As the serial number support that these are the right year/versions, have you ever heard of this?

Do you know if the US clutch pivot fork of the 914 is the same as the 911? All my spare throwout forks are upstate NY with my 914.

Any help would be appreciated in figuring out this mystery. The guy says he'll measure the current throwout fork and send me pictures today.

Any help here is appreciated.
Mark Henry
Sounds more like you have a 70 911 case that uses the push type clutch. I know you have to move the pivot to use the later push type clutch in a /6 conversion with a 914-901.
This is all I know and you should confirm this info.
914Sixer
agree.gif 70-71 trans DID NOT use the same fork.
Mark Henry
Post the serial number on the bottom rib of the tranny.
Cap'n Krusty
I agree, it sounds like you have a 911 case, and it's set up for a 225mm pull type clutch. The bad news is it takes a REALLY expensive fork which is usually worn out. The good news is they're NLA, and have been for at least a decade.

The Cap'n
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 26 2010, 08:33 PM) *

I agree, it sounds like you have a 911 case, and it's set up for a 225mm pull type clutch. The bad news is it takes a REALLY expensive fork which is usually worn out. The good news is they're NLA, and have been for at least a decade.

The Cap'n

WOW, with good news like that I can't wait for the bad; sad.gif

Well, I've asked them to get me the serial numbers as I can't seem to find where I put them, BUT both cases were listed as a 1969 and both use a pull type clutch cable.

So, we are getting the measurements and will see what fits going forward.

Thanks Cap'n and everyone else for your help so far. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
One solution is to find the right case and swap out the stack, I did it and all the gears were the same thickness, +/- .0001. I just swapped the gears and sliders and left the bearings, spacers, shims, etc
Cupomeat
Yes, Mark, We could also rebuild the current trans (from the car) and not swap it out, which might be the simplest as trying to swap gear stacks

UPDATE: my dad just ran over to the mechanic a 914 (pn 901 116 712 00) clutch fork and assorted parts and the mechanic believes that it fits perfectly.

The PET shows this fork as the parenthetical #4 for this year so it was a possible solution, although the actual part it shows (also #4) is pn 901 116 711 11.

So, I do not fully understand and wish I was upstate NY to look at it myself, OR to be sent better pictures.

Thanks all for your help so far. smilie_pokal.gif
SLITS
And for more good news ... if you have the '70 - '71 911 tranny ... good luck finding even a used clutch fork

and

The clutch package setup for this one is $800 retail ... it has a throwout bearing that is also two year only.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.