Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: European 914 owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914er
Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've been active here on the forums. College and music has me pretty busy.

Anyways, I've been living in London for school this summer, and I'm going to have a few weeks of free time to explore. Anyone have any suggestions of places to visit? Stuttgart is already planned smile.gif. Is there any VW-Porsche events going on? I would love to meet up with some of the European members or something as well.

Cheers,
Ben M
veltror
there are a number of places to go,if you are going to Stuttgart you might as well go Wolfsburg and see the Autostadt. Make sure you visit Mittelmotor in Bochum they have a sommerfestival in August, there is also the Porsche event in Interlaken

look here Interlaken Porsche

R

Whereabouts in London are you based....
dw914er
Kensington area of London. I'll be staying in Brighton soon though with my sister, and going up to Rockingham raceway in two weeks for the Honda Type R owners meet.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 26 2010, 04:31 PM) *

Kensington area of London. I'll be staying in Brighton soon though with my sister, and going up to Rockingham raceway in two weeks for the Honda Type R owners meet.

Avoid anything that uses the word "Food" and "British" in the same sentence! Your best bet will be Pizza or Indian Food if you like it spicy. And if somebody tries to hand you one of those triangular shaped "sandwiches", run for your life. (But remember to look the other way when running across the street!) biggrin.gif

As far as car stuff goes, i second Mittelmotor. A weekend trip to the Nürburgring can't hurt either ...
driving.gif Andy
dw914er
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2010, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 26 2010, 04:31 PM) *

Avoid anything that uses the word "Food" and "British" in the same sentence! Your best bet will be Pizza or Indian Food if you like it spicy. And if somebody tries to hand you one of those triangular shaped "sandwiches", run for your life. (But remember to look the other way when running across the street!) biggrin.gif

As far as car stuff goes, i second Mittelmotor. A weekend trip to the Nürburgring can't hurt either ...
driving.gif Andy

I've already gotten used to the food (been here for over 6 weeks actually). It's not too bad, but some diverse food as helped. France had amazing food though!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 26 2010, 04:43 PM) *
France had amazing food though!

Oh la la! There's a few things the french do right, like food, wine and wimmen! thumb3d.gif

If you're going to spend some more time on the continent, i'd suggest to get a nice rental car and take a trip down Germany on the A3. Stop in a nice town somewhere in the Black Forest and wander around the forest for a few hours. August will be a perfect time for that.

chowtime.gif Andy
snakemain
Second on the Nurburgring. TONS of really cool cars there.
dw914er
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2010, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 26 2010, 04:43 PM) *
France had amazing food though!

Oh la la! There's a few things the french do right, like food, wine and wimmen! thumb3d.gif

If you're going to spend some more time on the continent, i'd suggest to get a nice rental car and take a trip down Germany on the A3. Stop in a nice town somewhere in the Black Forest and wander around the forest for a few hours. August will be a perfect time for that.

chowtime.gif Andy

I'm just shy of 21. I know the UK is 21+ for US drivers wanting to rent a car. Is Germany any different? I think my original plan was just Berlin and Stuttgart since my sister wanted to go, and doesn't want to be overrun by car stuff. I could always go back though driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 26 2010, 04:55 PM) *
I'm just shy of 21. I know the UK is 21+ for US drivers wanting to rent a car. Is Germany any different?

Good question. I don't know the current laws for renting a car.
When i was 18, i had no problem renting a car, but then again, that was a looooong time ago ... shades.gif

Depending on your route, the Black Forest is close on your way to Stuttgart. Basically, just a bit to the west ...
driving.gif Andy

IPB Image
Tom_T
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 26 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Hi guys, it's been awhile since I've been active here on the forums. College and music has me pretty busy.

Anyways, I've been living in London for school this summer, and I'm going to have a few weeks of free time to explore. Anyone have any suggestions of places to visit? Stuttgart is already planned smile.gif. Is there any VW-Porsche events going on? I would love to meet up with some of the European members or something as well.

Cheers,
Ben M

Are you at the London School of Architecture for your studies abroad Ben?

.... IIRC you were in the Cal Poly SLO Arch./Eng. program, or am I having a Sr. moment? blink.gif

My wife & I honeymooned in the UK & Ireland, but the food got progressively better as we got to Wales, Scotland & Ireland, but my wife loved the Scones & Clotted Cream in the southwest! biggrin.gif

Andy & the others are right though, food & wimmen shades.gif on the continent are better! biggrin.gif

Maybe you could hook up with a Teener over there & cover their gas to cruise around in their 914 with you!!?? Otherwise, get a Eurail Pass if you can't rent or find a traveling buddy with wheels!

You'll need to give either Rugger &/or Football a go while you're over there Lad! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Daiberl
Might also be good to post something at www.pff-online.de, it's a German Porsche Forum and they have a 914 section.
hcdmueller
Tom T beat me to it. Eurorail is your friend if you can't get a car. Cheap and easy. They usually have some deals for students.

eurail.com

I would hang out with you if I could. I am not going to be around this summer though. No matter what, you need to go to the Nurburgring. The number of rare cars and motorcycles is amazing. I went and hung out one day and ended up riding shotgun in a race prepped Subaru STI for a few laps with a local I just met. Go to see the Porsche and Mercedes museums in Stuttgart. If you have time get up to Scotland and see Edinburgh. Prague is always worth the trip too. Amazingly beautiful women. (I am biased, my wife is Czech) I could keep writing for hours. There are too many places to suggest.
jd74914
Ben, where have you been so far?

If you haven't been yet I would highly recommend going to Ireland for at least a weekend. The people are friendlier there than perhaps anywhere I've ever been and the sights and food are quite good (from what I understand the food quality has improved tremendously in the past 10 years laugh.gif ). The whole country is beautiful, though Galway and some of the cities near there were my favorite.

If you manage to make it further south than Germany [and once again haven't been] you should definitely taken in some of Italy too.

Edinburgh, Scotland should definitely be a stop if you are into music and Glasgow is supposed to be amazing if you are into architectural art. Scotland is next on my personal list of travel destinations.
jonferns
Im in Portugal for the month of August, not too far of a ride from you smile.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 26 2010, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 26 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Cheers,
Ben M

Are you at the London School of Architecture for your studies abroad Ben?

.... IIRC you were in the Cal Poly SLO Arch./Eng. program, or am I having a Sr. moment? blink.gif

My wife & I honeymooned in the UK & Ireland, but the food got progressively better as we got to Wales, Scotland & Ireland, but my wife loved the Scones & Clotted Cream in the southwest! biggrin.gif

Andy & the others are right though, food & wimmen shades.gif on the continent are better! biggrin.gif

Maybe you could hook up with a Teener over there & cover their gas to cruise around in their 914 with you!!?? Otherwise, get a Eurail Pass if you can't rent or find a traveling buddy with wheels!

You'll need to give either Rugger &/or Football a go while you're over there Lad! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif

Your memory does not fail you. I'm at the school of architecture at Cal Poly, as a city planner. London however is for general electives since they have been the hardest thing to get towards my graduation (damn school cutbacks).

I want to do Ireland for sure. Guinness is one of my favorites, so Dublin is a top choice, as well as Cork and Galway.

I do want to meet with a teener as well. I have planned on the Eurorail pass, but meeting a teener from far away would be cool smile.gif

Italy, France, and Spain are also planned (My parents are flying out at the end of august, and we're doing our first european vacation+cruise). I do want to visit Turkey (maybe find a cymbal as well), but we'll see how easily that can be accomplished.

Jon, we should meet up somewhere beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
ah, Ireland..Dublin and Galway are nice to visit and if your young the Temple Bar area is fun. The best beer I have ever had was some local beer in Kilkenny a small town. There is a decent sized restaurant in the middle of town that everybody goes to.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jul 27 2010, 02:23 PM) *

London however is for general electives since they have been the hardest thing to get towards my graduation (damn school cutbacks).

I understand completely, since my son couldn't do a mid-year transfer last Spring to CSUF, as he'd planned! Stupid state bureaucrats & legislators! dry.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 27 2010, 03:28 PM) *

I understand completely, since my son couldn't do a mid-year transfer last Spring to CSUF, as he'd planned! Stupid state bureaucrats & legislators! dry.gif

It's very frustrating, especially being near the end. headbang.gif
914dave
Ben,
Try this website, http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/index.php .
It seems to be pretty active, maybe you can find a teener there.
Enjoy you time there
Dave
jd74914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 27 2010, 05:10 PM) *

ah, Ireland..Dublbin and Galway are nice to visit and if your young the Temple Bar area is fun. The best beer I have ever had was some local beer in Kilkenny a small town. There is a decent sized restaurant in the middle of town that everybody goes to.

agree.gif Kilkenny is very nice and has some really good bars/bistros; there are some especially good award-winning ones down some of the side roads. A friend and I stayed in a really nice bed and breakfast there and had a great time. I would recomend basing out of Galway probably if you want to see southern Ireland.

BTW: While visiting the Guinness factory you should also check out the Jameson factory. I haven't been, but from what I've heard its quite impressive.
dw914er
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 28 2010, 04:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 27 2010, 05:10 PM) *

ah, Ireland..Dublbin and Galway are nice to visit and if your young the Temple Bar area is fun. The best beer I have ever had was some local beer in Kilkenny a small town. There is a decent sized restaurant in the middle of town that everybody goes to.

agree.gif Kilkenny is very nice and has some really good bars/bistros; there are some especially good award-winning ones down some of the side roads. A friend and I stayed in a really nice bed and breakfast there and had a great time. I would recomend basing out of Galway probably if you want to see southern Ireland.

BTW: While visiting the Guinness factory you should also check out the Jameson factory. I haven't been, but from what I've heard its quite impressive.

I hear that too. I probably will go, just never been a whisky drinker, so it's less on my todo list. A good beer is always welcome. beer3.gif

I'll check out those forums beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.