Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
broomhandle
I have a 70 and a 71 which use the "easy to find fog light bulbs" looks like 72 or 73 they used a H3 bulb version. Is it just a unbolt and splice together the wires? or is there any conversion i can do to my originals? The goofy bulbs produce no light, and 1 side I can not get to come on.
underthetire
My 73 had the funny bulbs to. I put the pilot lights in, but since your in the originality area i'm guessing this is not an option.
broomhandle
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 27 2010, 08:58 AM) *

My 73 had the funny bulbs to. I put the pilot lights in, but since your in the originality area i'm guessing this is not an option.

yeah, i guess i am in originality. but, dont they look the same? its a upgrade without loosing the looks.
underthetire
They go in the same spot, they look a little different, not too much, but since this is in the originality forum, it can't be discussed here.
Tom_T
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Jul 27 2010, 08:47 AM) *

I have a 70 and a 71 which use the "easy to find fog light bulbs" looks like 72 or 73 they used a H3 bulb version. Is it just a unbolt and splice together the wires? or is there any conversion i can do to my originals? The goofy bulbs produce no light, and 1 side I can not get to come on.

IIRC - the usual suspects AA, Pelican, PP/Automotion (15% off coupon at their website right now BTW), SMC, etc. - most all carry the standard spec. & an up-wattage bulb (H3 I'm pretty sure) which will fit the stock OE 73 fog/driving lights, but will look the same. IIRC they're about 55w instead of 35w, but check the websites.

You may need a relay for some of the higher output ones as well, &/or you may want to get the JWest foglight flash kit/relay to enable you to flash the fogs with the headlights down.

You may also have a wiring leads &/or harness &/or bulb socket issue(s) with the side that won't come on - or maybe loose or corroded connections that needs cleaning & some Wurth connection oel/oil, & you may also be getting a voltage drop in the 37-38 year old wiring causing the low output - if it's all not just a case of weak/bad bulbs.

The standard 7" sealed beams & H4s at 55/65w were pretty weak, but they also sell an H4 housing & 80/100w conversion - which requires a relay set-up added, but did wonders in my 88 Westy & I plan to do similarly in my 73 2L's resto. These all above can be done inconspicuously to keep it original for CW purposes.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Somebody made a conversion kit to change factory over to H-3 bulbs. The reflector housings are different for the H bulb and the sealed bulb.
broomhandle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 27 2010, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(broomhandle @ Jul 27 2010, 08:47 AM) *

IIRC - the usual suspects AA, Pelican, PP/Automotion (15% off coupon at their website right now BTW), SMC, etc. - most all carry the standard spec. & an up-wattage bulb (H3 I'm pretty sure) which will fit the stock OE 73 fog/driving lights, but will look the same. IIRC they're about 55w instead of 35w, but check the websites.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif

The H3 will not go into the original 70/71 lights correct? dose anybody know what year they switched to H3 bulbs?

and sorry if this is an illegal post in this section.
underthetire
I'll only Add that the Pilots work awesome, and for 33 bucks well worth it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Jul 27 2010, 01:21 PM) *

The H3 will not go into the original 70/71 lights correct? dose anybody know what year they switched to H3 bulbs?

Don't worry about it - at worst one of the admins/moderators will move it to the garage forum, where you'll get so many different opinions that you'll think you're at a lawyers' convention! biggrin.gif

Here's some good info. on the OE lights -
http://www.p914.com/p914_lenses_fog.htm

I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking for, as I thought you were asking about a 73 or updating to that later light on a 70-71.

IIRC the bulbs are different - but both types have higher output options, relay kits & the foglight flash kit works with any MY 70-76 IIRC.

Make sure to download a free pdf Porsche 914 PET parts catalog from the Porsche website under their Classics section, so you can get proper bulb nos. for your particular MY & light, then you can look up other replacement bulbs from the lists at Hella, Bosch, OSRAM/Sylvania, etc. using their catalogs & online parts lists.
broomhandle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 27 2010, 03:13 PM) *

Don't worry about it - at worst one of the admins/moderators will move it to the garage forum, where you'll get so many different opinions that you'll think you're at a lawyers' convention! biggrin.gif

I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking for, as I thought you were asking about a 73 or updating to that later light on a 70-71.

IIRC the bulbs are different - but both types have higher output options, relay kits & the foglight flash kit works with any MY 70-76 IIRC.

Make sure to download a free pdf Porsche 914 PET parts catalog from the Porsche website under their Classics section, so you can get proper bulb nos. for your particular MY & light, then you can look up other replacement bulbs from the lists at Hella, Bosch, OSRAM/Sylvania, etc. using their catalogs & online parts lists.

i have a 1970. i would like to put in a bulb i can get everywhere and thats brighter. like a H3.

i saw that link 1st, looks like the only H3 is 74? i am totally confused.... so 70-73 uses the big funky bulb?

and i have the PET and i use the OSRAM database.
Tom_T
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Jul 27 2010, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 27 2010, 03:13 PM) *

i have a 1970. i would like to put in a bulb i can get everywhere and thats brighter. like a H3.

i saw that link 1st, looks like the only H3 is 74? i am totally confused.... so 70-73 uses the big funky bulb?

and i have the PET and i use the OSRAM database.

Hey!!!! - as an old fart myself - I prefer "old school bulb" to "funky bulb"! biggrin.gif

You might try other mfgrs. Like Hella, Bosch, etc. as well. There may be a substitute bulb with one of them which has the same base size, but higher wattage.

The other option is to do the internal conversion which someone mentioned above, or buy a set of the H3 ones & from a 74 & swap them - but save your originals in case you or someone else wants to go back.

IIRC I got the early style replacement fog light bulbs for my 73 from Performance Products last year. I posted a topic in the Garage forums with the link to their 15% discount code, if you find it there.
Tom_T
Here are 2 of the 35w OEM Tungsten Fog Light Bulbs which I think are the ones for your 70 OE fog/driving lights - Pelican has the best price on a Jahn bulb:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...74%29%2C%20Each

http://www.automotion.com/tungsten-fog-lig...lb-12v-35w.html
914Sixer
The Euro cars had H-3 bulbs from the on set. US models only had bulbs because DOT would not allow the halogen. I will try to get pictures of some of the NOS French H-3 foglights I have.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif No H3's here...
Pat Garvey
Guess I'm a little confused as to why you'd want to swith from near-darkness to middle ages.

914 fogs were never meant to anything in the US other than an option that only produced revenue. Fine for flashing at other Porsches but useless in the fog (including the rear fog!).

Either leave them original, with minimal effect, or (if you really drive at night in fog) a set of landing lights.

They are what they are & were. Changing to H3's & reflectors will still leave to searching for light.

These WERE the lighting standards of the 60's & 70's. Bulbs, reflectors & lenses were from the 70's. You aren't going to drastically light up the night with these.
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.