just bought rear hubs and rotors

have line on 911S front with rotors and calipers

and 16x6 boxter wheels

What do you think?

Move back to 15x6 fuchs when I can buy them
Mark Henry
Your only regret will be if the wife finds the receipts. slap.gif
turnaround89
i dont regret it one bit, i like the look of the 5 lug fuchs on my car way more than stock 4 lug rims
Ferg
I think if it's a original car that's staying a 4 cylinder, a 5 lug conversion would be regrettable in the future.

Ferg
pcar916
I have 5-lug and wouldn't go back but for specific reasons. First your questions. There are only three disadvantages that come to mind.

1. Initial cost, including a collapsible spare tire and electric pump. Both are readily available.

2. E-brake likely goes away and I occasionally miss it.
There are work-arounds, both hydraulic and mechanical. That said, I have 10:1 compression that works fine in most cases. But I can't trust it on steep grades though.

3. Bigger tires generally cost more money. But there are way more options

My car was half converted when I bought it since it already had 911 Bilstien front struts and 5-lug adapters in the rear. My excellent PO had the 914-6 rear stub axles though, he had simply not done the conversion yet and they came with the car as did an extra engine and lots of other wonderful things.

All I needed was the rear wheel hubs and I was in business. PCA and SCCA wouldn't allow adapters so I just completed the conversion because I need the wider rubber. No brainer.

I have converted to 911 stub axles and 944 CV's so I still have my 914-6 stub axles if you're interested. Haven't thought about selling them but I no longer need them.

Good Luck! driving.gif

gothspeed
I have a perfect set of 1973 4 lug parts that I will easily trade with anyone that 'regrets' going to 5 lug .................. lol-2.gif
JRust
I would not change an LE to 5-lug as they are rare. That is really the only instance I would not swap to a 5-lug. Just so many more options for wheels & tires with the swap. Still Love fuchs but like the 5-lug fuchs look better than the 4-lug drooley.gif . So basically unless I was doing a concours car that needed to remain stock. I would have no problem switching besides
underthetire
Nope. And 16" tires are cheaper a lot of the time.
TROJANMAN
It's one more lug to take off and put back on every time you need to remove the wheel for something. It is such a pain in the ass..............
PeeGreen 914
Yes, go to 5-lug and send me your 4-lug wheels smile.gif I need some 14 or 15 x 7" 4 lug wheels....for free laugh.gif
Scott S
It's just nuts and bolts. if the car is something special, just keep the old stuff if you ever decide to sell it.

Drums66
No regrets not going to 5 lug confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif
I only regret that I have but 1 life to give
for 914.World!
qa1142
would these 5 lug fit? 987.362

Fronts 17x6.5, Rears 17x8

drooley.gif
BK911
I thought about converting my car to 5 lug. Almost $1000 in parts for no real performance gain. Ok, bigger brakes, but do you really *need* bigger brakes?

If I had a lot of extra time and the expendable cash, I probably still would not convert. Just no point IMHO.
mepstein
Hard to find 4 lug wheels that are wide enough for flares. I tried. 5 lugs give you much more choices.
azbill
I did switch to 5 lug and have a parking break. No problem. You can always go back. If you want to go back, trade the 5 lug for a 4 lug setup. There was no metal cutting just parts changing. I like the look much better then 4 lug. Just my 0.02 worth. Do what you like its your car.
Sleepin
Yeah, I should have waited until I had tires! headbang.gif

IPB Image
jmill
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 27 2010, 07:54 PM) *

Yeah, I should have waited until I had tires! headbang.gif

Who needs tires when you've got beer? beer3.gif
Jeffs9146
NO REGRETS!!!! piratenanner.gif
JRust
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jul 27 2010, 03:30 PM) *

would these 5 lug fit? 987.362

Fronts 17x6.5, Rears 17x8

drooley.gif

No chance on the rears unless you have flares
patssle
I'll never leave my 4-lugs. It's a classic, why do I want to modernize the car if I don't have to? Just like I'll keep the dual carbs...nostalgia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.