Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
Struts, springs, shocks on order. Looking for newb write ups. tech tips has some info on front strut inserts. I also found this thread for the fronts.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=front+shocks

Couldn't find anything for the rear springs & shocks in tech tips or on here.

I've got boges up front & will be puttng inserts in.

I'm replacing rear springs with 100lb and new shocks. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm scheduling a 4 wheel alignment.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
should be a quickie in the "Tech Tips 700" about the spring and shock install. DO not even have to remove the tire to do the front strut inserts!

QUOTE(Cambo @ Jul 27 2010, 01:43 PM) *

Struts, springs, shocks on order. Looking for newb write ups. tech tips has some info on front strut inserts. I also found this thread for the fronts.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=front+shocks

Couldn't find anything for the rear springs & shocks in tech tips or on here.

I've got boges up front & will be puttng inserts in.

I'm replacing rear springs with 100lb and new shocks. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm scheduling a 4 wheel alignment.

Tom_T
You might want to have them (or you) lower the front suspension 1/2" - 1" with the adjustment nuts on the A-arm Torsion bar ends (also in 700 tech tips, etc.), before they do an alignment to improve the handling & 50:50 balance a bit while you're at it.

I had it done back in the 70's & loved the difference it made! driving.gif
MikeM
I just did this on my car last week. The rears are dead easy. I needed to "persuade "the lower shock bolts a little to get them moving though.
The fronts were fairly easy also. The 914 Tech tips book says you don't have to remove the wheels for this but I think it's alot easier if you do. Do a search and find the thread where it is recomended to use a long bolt in the top of the new inserts so you can pull them up into position. This worked really well for me. You have to be really careful with the brake lines on the front. On my car there was just enough,I mean JUST enough room to get the strut out from the fender well.
Also...never,ever put drop link bushings in the microwave to soften them up...not even for 15 seconds!!!
Good luck, have fun.
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.