Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 vs 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I did a little Googling, but didn't come up with much on this topic.

I know you guys like to nickname the 911 as an assdragger, with the engine at the back. What other negatives - and positives, does the 911 (70s model) offer over the 914? Aside from the rear engine and more powerful stock motor. Not for racing/atx, but for street use.

Parts availability, maintenance costs, reliability, etc etc.

Thanks.
mepstein
911 positive. They have a 6 that fits into our 914's biggrin.gif
Tom_T
911's & 912's are more squirrelly in the turns due to their rear engine induced oversteer, so often cannot compete well with 914s in the turns - even with more HP.

Parts are more expensive on 911's/912's & some are harder to get, some easier.

911/912 has a back seat - sorta, or package area, but far less trunk space than a 914, & Targas are harder to come by - so no top-off driving in a sport/GT coupe!

They're just as rust-worthy as our 914's!!!! biggrin.gif
KELTY360
Some call them ass draggers, others call them donors. biggrin.gif

The people I know that have both seem to choose the 914 when it's time to take a drive.
Bleyseng
They both have that "Porsche" driving experience that the new ones lack. Crisp steering, light positive handling, loud aircooled engines, 5 speeds and great brakes.
The 914 is a 2 seater that was a base model Porsche vs the more upscale 911 which had several models with the "S" being at the top. For long drives the 911 has more creature comforts while the 914 is so fun driving in twisty roads as its seats are very basic. I would never have driven a 914 across the USA, 4 hrs straight is a long as I can take it.
BK911
I have a few 911s and a 914. I use the 914 for daily driving and errands. The 911s are used mainly at the track, mountain roads, or long highway drives. Stop and go is about the same in either car, but highway is much better in the 911. Re-sale will probably always be better with a 911. Yes most people say cars are not investments, but i have made money on every Porsche I ever owned.
Spoke
I've always wanted a 911 and last year I finally bought an 86 911 turbo.

With 282HP, the thing is a beast. The handling is great but compared to the 914, the 914 is much much more nimble in the corners.

I can really feel the 911's ass-end bounce around in the corners. I now know why people call them ass-draggers.
Mike Bellis
I think my 914 is much nicer to drive than my 911. The 911 may get you more respect with the PCA crowd. For some reson my 914 feels bigger inside, may be lack of center console. The handling of the 914 is far superior than the 911. I sold my 911 and will never buy another one. I will buy multiple 914's.
Silverstreak
911's are also known as Widowmakers. Things can get pretty hairy in a hurry in a pendulum butted 911. But, it's the better looking car by far if you ask me, plus it's a legendary sports car.
Elliot Cannon
The 911 is an ill handling piece of krap. That's why Porsche has had such a lack of success racing it. lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif
patssle
But, it's the better looking car by far if you ask me, plus it's a legendary sports car.

That's one reason why I'm looking at the 911 as an added bonus of an investment. I can see the 911s definitely appreciating in value. The 914...unfortunately is a toss-up. It could go up, or it might remain flat - it just doesn't have the flair or status as other Porsche's have to most people.

That said, I wouldn't sell my 914 if I did get a 911.
brp986s
Working on 911s is harder than 914. Try putting in rblt pedal assy or m/c with power brakes. Big pita. Same with spring plate bushings, steering column bushings, funky clutch linkage. I just put a carpet kit in my targa - don't think I'll ever do that again.
markb
Apples & oranges as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed driving the 82 911 SC, but I'll always come back to my 914. driving.gif
Cupomeat
Yes, this crowd tends to give 911s a bad name somewhat because they still feel that they have to defend the NARP 914.
I'd say that in the PCA crowd I hang (NNJR), the 914 commands MORE respect these days as they are scarce (comparatively) and everyone knows they are GREAT handling cars. As they are still being used in the DE world, anyone who is rising up the ranks has been humiliated on the DE track by a 914 with half or less hp at least once.

yes, resale on a 911 (used/older) is better currently then a 914, but they are more complex cars (when stock). 914 has a better community.

I have both and love both for the different merits.
realred914
the rear motor layout in the 911 is more like a VW Bugs layout.
tell that to a 911 purist!
tat2dphreak
yep, it's not the same... to put it in american terms... one is a caddy, the other is a vette...
imo the 911 is a little more livable around town, comfortable... the 914 is more of a real sports car layout... and it feels like it. I gotta deal with a lotta bad roads, and the 914 can be a beating... but the 914 will take corners so much better, plus the small cockpit makes it more fun... like driving a go-kart.... I wouldn't want to auto-x a 911.... but for more common, around town driving...I think the 911 is more suitable than most 914s that I've ridden in.
Ferg
I think some of you are making the 911 "handling" out to more of a demon than it really is. That being said, it's not as forgiving as the 914, but certainly has no problem keeping pace shades.gif .

911 is more comfortable, and would be the better choice as a commuter/highway vehicle. But 914 is more fun to drive biggrin.gif .

flipb
QUOTE(patssle @ Jul 27 2010, 10:34 PM) *

But, it's the better looking car by far if you ask me, plus it's a legendary sports car.

That's one reason why I'm looking at the 911 as an added bonus of an investment. I can see the 911s definitely appreciating in value. The 914...unfortunately is a toss-up. It could go up, or it might remain flat - it just doesn't have the flair or status as other Porsche's have to most people.

That said, I wouldn't sell my 914 if I did get a 911.

I didn't buy my 914 anticipating it to be a profitable investment, but...

There are a lot of rumors of a new Porsche sub-Boxster; an entry-level mid-engined roadster to come out in a year or two. My guess is that if & when that debuts, it will draw a lot of attention to 914s and probably give a little boost to the 914 market.

tat2dphreak
I think some of you are making the 911 "handling" out to more of a demon than it really is. That being said, it's not as forgiving as the 914, but certainly has no problem keeping pace .

exactly.
Drums66
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 27 2010, 04:00 PM) *

911's & 912's are more squirrelly in the turns due to their rear engine induced oversteer, so often cannot compete well with 914s in the turns - even with more HP.

Parts are more expensive on 911's/912's & some are harder to get, some easier.

911/912 has a back seat - sorta, or package area, but far less trunk space than a 914, & Targas are harder to come by - so no top-off driving in a sport/GT coupe!

They're just as rust-worthy as our 914's!!!! biggrin.gif

I think that's the hi-lites 914 bro bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
jjbunn
Main difference: 911s look better in red whereas 914s look better in white stirthepot.gif

Apart from that it's apples and oranges, at least between my 914 and my '91 911. OP asked about 70s era 911s - perhaps they are much more "raw"? The later 911 is a much more refined car to drive IMHO.
1968Cayman
Certain 911s seem to take quite a bit longer to restore . . . could be because 914s look so good with a little rust, though.
pcar916
The 911 has a larger polar moment of inertia compared with the small one found on our 914's. So 911's give you more time to react when the ass goes out... but it happens with "more authority" since it's a heavier pendulum.

The 914 however is far less forgiving since, when it rotates it happens fast and you better to be ready for it. You can modulate it with sticky tires and a proper setup, but it can still happen in a moment. Getting back on the throttle is the most helpful if you have the time, traction, and room to get it back under control.

Either one with a well set up suspension is a treat to drive. I have 'em both and enjoy driving the 914 a whole lot more... 'course it has about 70 more hp than my 911. That may have something to do with it. That said...

The 911 will attract more girls if you're in the market for 'em, but the 914 will attract more DRIVER-girls.

You can't really make a bad decision here if you choose a good car, but if you want the 911 to be stiff (better handling) ONLY consider the coupe. Both the ever-present Targa, and Cabriolet, which was re-introduced in 1984, are flexi-flyers unless braced with cages. The internal bracing on both of those cars makes them heavier as well.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.