Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: threaded bushing on Bilsteins doesn't fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jerry75914
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together my rear suspension. I have Bilstein HDs and Weltmeister 140lb springs. I removed the hat and related parts from my old assembly, and now I find that the threaded bushing is just too tight for the Bilstein.

Anyone run into this? Do I need a different threaded bushing? Can I just run a slightly larger tap through it? It threaded about a third of the way before it was so tight I started stripping the hex head insert in the top of the strut...a totally differnt problem.

Appreciate any advice!

Jerry75914
unsure.gif
tradisrad
Jerry, Are you talking about coil-overs not fitting? Or the nut that holds the strut in the car? I am not sure what the threaded bushing is.
-Rob
IPB Image
Jerry75914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jul 28 2010, 10:33 AM) *

Jerry, Are you talking about coil-overs not fitting? Or the nut that holds the strut in the car? I am not sure what the threaded bushing is.
-Rob
IPB Image

Hi Rob!
It's the conical "nut" that holds the top hat looking gizmo on the coil. The nut that goes on last from the trunk is fine (came with the kit).
tradisrad
MY best guess is that it is the wrong thread pitch.
jcd914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jul 28 2010, 11:13 AM) *

MY best guess is that it is the wrong thread pitch.

agree.gif

IIRC Bilstein's use a finer thread pitch than all the other rear shocks.

Jim

tradisrad
Jerry I may have some other conical nuts at home, but I bet they are for the Boge or some other strut. I'll look for them and let you know what I find.
Jerry75914
thanks Rob! I'm going to try and tap it to be jsut slightly larger...I called Porsche Parts Heaven and asked if there was a differnt one for different shocks and he said they should all be interchangeable....oh well!
Mike Bellis
One of my Bilstein's was like that. It was bent. The conical nut would screw on fine on my other set.
Jerry75914
Congrats to everyone that thought it might be a thread pitch issue...it was headbang.gif looking at it tonight, without the red mist of frustration, the Konis were definitely a finer pitch. I re-tapped the bushing with a 12mm, 1.5 pitch die and it screwed on like butta... smilie_pokal.gif

thanks for the advice all!
tradisrad
Good to hear. I was going to see if I had any for you, but now I don't need to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.