Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuna can instructions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cgnj
So I'm boxing up parts and found a NIB tuna can with no instuctions. Can anyone give me the condensed installation instructions?
Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Carlos
VaccaRabite
Pretty easy...

Remove the sump and screen.

Attach the tuna can and torque it down lightly. Too much and you break the case stud. The tube with the cut outs attaches with the cut outs facing towards the bottom of the can (facing towards the ground).

Zach
cgnj
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 28 2010, 04:53 AM) *

Pretty easy...

Remove the sump and screen.

Attach the tuna can and torque it down lightly. Too much and you break the case stud. The tube with the cut outs attaches with the cut outs facing towards the bottom of the can (facing towards the ground).

Zach

Crush washer and O ring go where?

Carlos
VaccaRabite
IIRC the O-ring seals the aluminum tube to the case.

The crush ring acts exactly like it does on the oil drain bolt. Put it between the attaching bolt and the outside of the tuna can.

Zach
cgnj
Thanks Zach. I fixed all the old oil leaks, time to add a new one.

Carlos
tradisrad
I dont see the gasket that goes between the "can" and the engine in your picture, you will need that.
Also the oil screen can be modified (trimmed) to fit inside the can.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jul 28 2010, 08:37 AM) *

I dont see the gasket that goes between the "can" and the engine in your picture, you will need that.

I agree. You do need the thick paper gasket, just like the one on the sump cover. Call any of the normal places and you can probably get one for under a buck. You might be able to reuse the one from your sump, but that is poor form and you might get a leak that way.

I'd not bother with the screen though. Any chunks in your case big enough to get stopped by the screen and your engine has already bit the dust.

Zach
type2man
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 28 2010, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jul 28 2010, 08:37 AM) *

I agree. You do need the thick paper gasket, just like the one on the sump cover. Call any of the normal places and you can probably get one for under a buck. You might be able to reuse the one from your sump, but that is poor form and you might get a leak that way.

I'd not bother with the screen though. Any chunks in your case big enough to get stopped by the screen and your engine has already bit the dust.

Zach

I've seen a rocker arm clip break off and get sucked in through the suction tube and break the oil pump stud off and seize the engine in a matter of seconds.... put the pool screen back on LOL!!!
914werke
Anyone have a pic of the screen mod?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.