Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How lazy am I!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I bumped the idle jets in my carbs up a size 2 weeks ago, and still have not re-adjusted them for better running.

I hate adjusting my carbs! Especially when it is hot out. But a 1400 RPM idle is just embarrasing, and I am sure I am running way rich.

Quick, everyone poke fun so I have some reason to get to work this week and get those puppies back into line.

Zach
plas76targa
I'm no help. I feel the same way about the valves. They probably need adjustign and I just don't want to do it. drunk.gif
Mark Henry
Buy a wideband ya slacker.
Kirmizi
Adjust them at night when it's cooler biggrin.gif
Mike
McMark
I'll be adjusting carbs today as well...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2010, 10:07 AM) *

Oh no! This is even more cause for derision!

I bought a bung to add a wide band into my exhaust a month ago, and have yet to weld it in or even buy the wide band.

Point and laugh. Its okay. There is no excuse for my recent lack of progress!

Zach
plas76targa
or is the reason 'there's no Dr. around"? biggrin.gif drunk.gif
VaccaRabite
nah. I'm a sucker and keep helping other people with their stuff and never get a chance to work on my own.

hopefully the guy I'm helping now will have his truck gone Friday, and i will be able to tune my car in on Saturday.

Zach
tat2dphreak
I'm with ya, man. I'm the same way, worse than carbs is the valves, I hate that contortionist shit. at least the carbs are easy to reach. but so much of it is art not science... if I could put a meter on the carbs and get a perfect dial in, I'd probably be more inclined to do it.
tomeric914
"...maybe we can chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you ya jackwagon!"
rhodyguy
"tissue?"
jeffdon
I set and reset my valves three freakin times after my cam break in. Now that the engine is in, i feel this need to check them again, and I have only run it like 5 mins. Paranoia, I guess. And i REALLY REALLY dont want to do it.

Oh, and I am doing the carb thing too! Double whammy!

headbang.gif
FlatIV
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 28 2010, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2010, 10:07 AM) *

Oh no! This is even more cause for derision!

I bought a bung to add a wide band into my exhaust a month ago, and have yet to weld it in or even buy the wide band.

Point and laugh. Its okay. There is no excuse for my recent lack of progress!

Zach

I have an LM-2 I need to list for sale......

Andrew
Silverstreak
Is it really that bad? My carbs are out getting fixed right now and I've never fiddled around with em before.
jmill
It's 4 mixture screws and 2 idle stops. What's the hold up? Put the kids to bed and take 15 min. confused24.gif

Just remember everything goes better with cold beer3.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 28 2010, 07:39 PM) *

It's 4 mixture screws and 2 idle stops. What's the hold up? Put the kids to bed and take 15 min. confused24.gif

Just remember everything goes better with cold beer3.gif

I know! And the idle stops are already done! I have no excuse!

Well, I have lots of excuses. Its just that none of them are very good.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
Gee Zach, adjusting the carbs is one of the easiest tasks I'd want to do. No contorting, no high torque fasteners, no grease, no problemo!

I'm with JMill here.

Now if you are taking out the fresh air blower in front.....
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 29 2010, 08:12 AM) *

Gee Zach, adjusting the carbs is one of the easiest tasks I'd want to do. No contorting, no high torque fasteners, no grease, no problemo!

I'm with JMill here.

Now if you are taking out the fresh air blower in front.....

Thats easy. Drain the gas from your 914 into your daily driver. Pull the tank and you are free to get all that stuff. Just nuts and bolts, no art to it.

For me, at least, I need to be in the right frame of mind to set carbs. I need to let things happen slower then I like. Can be hard for me to do, making myself go by the numbers and not skipping ahead.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Okay, I got my idle set right at 1100, which is where I like it. I know its a tad high fro some of you, but it just sounds right for my carbed car, even though it will run at around 800 just fine.

I got the mix screws set.

But I am not done. I am slightly out of balance. Slightly. I need to correct that. Frusterating.

Zach
Katmanken
Yup, you are definitely off balance judging from yer picture.

Near as I can tell, yer about a quarter bubble off plumb. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 28 2010, 07:51 AM) *

I bumped the idle jets in my carbs up a size 2 weeks ago, and still have not re-adjusted them for better running.

I hate adjusting my carbs! Especially when it is hot out. But a 1400 RPM idle is just embarrasing, and I am sure I am running way rich.

Quick, everyone poke fun so I have some reason to get to work this week and get those puppies back into line.

Zach

Ever wonder why the Germans put fuel injection systems in the damned cars in the first place?
Pat
VaccaRabite
Pat, the next engine I build for this car will be injected.
It will also be a 2270 or bigger or a Subaru, but it will be injected. Gotta do my truck first though.

Zach
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2010, 08:07 AM) *

I bought a PLX wide back from Richard Clewett engineering and it made a world of difference. It’s like having your own dyno at your disposal.
All these years I ‘thought’ I my carbs were adjusted correctly…wrong.
$ well spend.

On top of that…he provides excellent support too ( had a multiple senior b___ questions )

Here’s his link. http://www.clewett.com/

SCV
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jul 28 2010, 10:07 AM) *

Mike

X2

I've been known to wait until its dark to start turning wrenches due to the heat. Still, I can't say too much about your situation, since I'm guilty of neglecting my Beetle a bit since the 914 arrived. blink.gif

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SCV @ Aug 1 2010, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jul 28 2010, 10:07 AM) *

Mike

X2

I've been known to wait until its dark to start turning wrenches due to the heat. Still, I can't say too much about your situation, since I'm guilty of neglecting my Beetle a bit since the 914 arrived. blink.gif

I have a policy of not doing loud things outside after 10PM in order to not piss off my neighbors.

But when I did finally get them roughly dialed in, I started around 8 and was done around 10.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.