Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blinker/hazard problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brandomc
Hi everyone, i got my car on the road and have been getting to do some good road tests. I fixed the fried ignition system that occured when my coil came loose and shorted out against my carb linkage. Replaced all the wires in that circuit and also the ignition switch itself which was the main problem. Anyways, now that the car is on the road, i have realized that my blinkers dont work.
If i pull the hazard switch, all the lights flash like they should i assume, but if i push the hazard switch all the way in, the two arrows on the dash flash and using the turn signal just stops the side i turn it to from flashing. To get this wierd flashing to stop i have to put the flasher switch in the middle positon, but then the blinkers dont work. My questions are, is the blinker relay bad, does the hazard and blinker share the same relay? Could my hazard switch be bad? Anyone see this problem before? Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The hazard turn signals and brake warning are all the same flasher but because the flashers work the relay is good. The continuous clicking of the relay is of course ("as per the Tech Tips 700") the reset button on the master cylinder, but the turn signal lack of operation we can trace to the ignition switch replacement. Either you jambed the turnsignal switch back in and it is shorted, or the bad ignition switch melted or shorted the turn signal switch

QUOTE(brandomc @ Jul 28 2010, 08:56 AM) *

Hi everyone, i got my car on the road and have been getting to do some good road tests. I fixed the fried ignition system that occured when my coil came loose and shorted out against my carb linkage. Replaced all the wires in that circuit and also the ignition switch itself which was the main problem. Anyways, now that the car is on the road, i have realized that my blinkers dont work.
If i pull the hazard switch, all the lights flash like they should i assume, but if i push the hazard switch all the way in, the two arrows on the dash flash and using the turn signal just stops the side i turn it to from flashing. To get this wierd flashing to stop i have to put the flasher switch in the middle positon, but then the blinkers dont work. My questions are, is the blinker relay bad, does the hazard and blinker share the same relay? Could my hazard switch be bad? Anyone see this problem before? Thanks

brandomc
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' post='1349032' date='Jul 28 2010, 09:07 AM']
The hazard turn signals and brake warning are all the same flasher but because the flashers work the relay is good. The continuous clicking of the relay is of course ("as per the Tech Tips 700") the reset button on the master cylinder, but the turn signal lack of operation we can trace to the ignition switch replacement. Either you jambed the turnsignal switch back in and it is shorted, or the bad ignition switch melted or shorted the turn signal switch

This problem existed before the ignition switch got fried. I burnt up the old switch, replaced it, and now the same problem exists. I didnt see any other issues with the wiring to the switch. The blinker switch looked like it was good inside as well. Why would both arrows on the dash flash? It acts like the hazards are still on, but different lights are flashing. Also if the blinker switch was bad, why would it make each arrow stop flashing when i push the blinker switch in that direction?

What is tech tips 700?
ripper911
Tech Tips 700 is an invaluable book to keep in your glovebox! smile.gif

Dr. 914 wrote it. KMA.gif
dancinnanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.