Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any emission test tips or tricks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Dudes:

I live in southeastern WI and I need to get an emission test before I can get collectors plates on my '76 914.
Once I get the plates, I will not be required to get tested anymore.

Do you guys have any tricks or recommendations on how I might help it pass?
I've replaced the plugs, air filter, fuel filter, injectors, resealed the tank (fresh gas) and installed a used cat, but I'm missing the air pump. I think my '76 came with an airpump installed from the factory, but a PO must have removed it (and the cat). I've also installed a good used (ansa?) muffler into which I've installed the used cat.

Once (if) I pass, I'll remove the cat and put the bypass pipe back in.

Any good tips? (besides lising it as residing in another county where testing is not required)?
Thanks for any ideas that might help.
Andy...
Freedom
try and get the car hot, all the air pump does is pump air into the cat so it can heat up and catalyze the exhaust cleaning it up. if you can get the cat to heat up you should be able to pass unless the cat is bad.

well that is what the air pump does on my Ford mustang.

hope this helps. you might not have a problem though depending on the limits that the state sets for your car. my car passed perfectly no probs and now i never have to emissions it so i am putting the rotary in!.

good luck
Gint
If they check for the physical presence of the air pump, you're hosed anyway. Before the test, drive the living crap outa the car and get it HOT. Leave it running when you get to the testing station. Pick a time when it will be the slowest so you get your car in right away before it cools down. If it's running well and tuned properly, it will pass.
john rogers
Try to find a shop that knows 914s and can do a pre test so you'll know what you have and can adjust the car accordingly. You do not want to go to the smog check blind for sure. Also try to see what the smog check people have listed as required equipment and if the pump is required you will have to get one. One from a bus or any other old car would work and you'll need the hook ups to the exhaust too unfortunately. In CA they also test the gas cap for a tight seal and 914s are 30 years old so it could easily fail too. Good luck
iiibdsiil
Dry gas, I think it's called, usually helps. Or at least that's what I heard. We don't have emissions down here.

- Brett Smith
914zim
Thanks guys!
I'll try and drive the hell out of it and go right to the testing station.
Andy...
STL914
Andy,
Are you in Milwaukee or Washington County?

My 74 2.0 failed last year here in St. Louis. After adjusting the idle, increasing the RPMs, took it back and it passed. Readjusted idle back to normal after second test.

Point is, by failing the test the first time, I knew what was wrong with the car and could tweek it to pass
second time.

I too have also heard that adding a bottle or two of HEET to your gas tank can help.

Gary
(former Cheesehead!)
weird_looking_cactus
Heck I don't have emission test here in utah and took my air pump off sence my pully on my fan broke which spun it. I could let you barrow it if you can't seem to past. Do a seach for one of my theads to see a picture of it. Maybe one of these days I will stick it back on just for the heck of it.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Apr 10 2004, 04:43 PM)
Maybe one of these days I will stick it back on just for the heck of it.

No you won't. It robs you of about 7 horsepower, and don't do no good. give it away, throw it away, or save it for your grandkids for show and tell. laugh.gif
nebreitling
agree.gif

toss the airpump, cacti

re. emissions: one could probably adjust an MPS to run lean for the test.
Air_Cooled_Nut
What about noise? My '75 didn't pass by ONE FREAKIN' DECIBEL mad.gif I passed everything else, then the dumbshit kid said, "Oh, it's a PORSCHE? I need to test the sound levels!" Even with the allowed extra points for a rear/mid-engine car it failed. The whole time he's like, "You're too loud, a cop could pull you over, you're lucky you got this far without a ticket". Ooh, I'm scared. Little shit was lucky I wasn't carrying my Glock ar15.gif

So I bought a package of #0000 steel wool and stuffed the exhaust pipe full of it with a coat hanger wire into the muffler section. Took the test and passed by one point under rolleyes.gif

I used the finest steel wool I could because after a couple of heat cycles and living outside I knew the wool would turn to rust very quickly and blow out wink.gif
Joe Bob
Find out what the numbers are....put it on a gas analyzer and adjust as neccessary. If your HC and/or whatever else is too high....try disconnecting one of the injectors....you now have an air pump for a three cylinder engine.

Mostly they test static, not on a dyno/roller, so they won't notice that it runs like crap. Don't laugh, that's how "I" passed.....once, not on any of the cars that I own, or ever owned, I will deny it ever happened.... blink.gif
ninefourteener
If it doesn't pass, the previous entry about dry gas is true.

Dry gas (or gas dryer) is the stuff you pour in the tank to rid it of water. It consists on almost 100% Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It burns 100% clean.. no emissions.

Run the tank to under 1/4..... get the engine HOT, pour in 2 bottles of the stuff ($1.00 per bottle), get through the test, fill up again..... thats it.

Good luck
weird_looking_cactus
So now I don't have my airpump running I should have all my horse power back right. Or do I have to finish taking everything out.
nebreitling
take out air pump, air tubes, egr valve, egr tubes and...

PLUG ALL RESULTING HOLES (important)

and your car will make a little more power, and run cooler!
914zim
Wow guys, good info!
I live in Waukesha county (New Berlin). I think there are 6 SE WI counties that have emission testing.
I don't think they check for noise, but I may be wrong. This is a dyno/roller test and they do check the gas cap.
I think I'll just run it until really hot and get it tested and see where I stand first
Pretty sure you get 3 tries and then you have to show repair receipts for at least $400 (I think).
If I don't pass the first time, I'll try the gas-dry stuff (HEET) and maybe mess with the ECU.
As a last resort, I'll take it to my wrench and have him check it out ($$).
Maybe I'll give it a try next weekend... it's not quite "driving" season for me yet, so I have to insure it for driving first!
Thanks again fellas.
Andy... (lifetime cheesehead)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.