Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator cooling boot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I'm installing a new alternator. I can't for the life of me get the cooling boot back on. Any trick to doing this? I've got the bottom bolt in part way.
Cevan
Got it. I think I just needed a break. The fit of the boot isn't as snug as a thought so it actually ended up popping on pretty easily. Getting my hand behind the boot and pushing towards the alternator was the key. Damn those German's!
Als914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 28 2010, 05:12 PM) *

I'm installing a new alternator. I can't for the life of me get the cooling boot back on. Any trick to doing this? I've got the bottom bolt in part way.

Did you get the 75 amp alternator?
Cevan
No, just a rebuilt Bosch.
realred914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 28 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Got it. I think I just needed a break. The fit of the boot isn't as snug as a thought so it actually ended up popping on pretty easily. Getting my hand behind the boot and pushing towards the alternator was the key. Damn those German's!

hitlers revenge as we used to say when the old VW would break down.

a bit of lube silicone will sometimes help get the boot on , some get very hard with age and dont fit so well.

besure the wire harness is double insulated coming out of the alternator, the harness gets close to the heat sources. an extra heat wrap i think can help.

good luck
Optimusglen
An old thread I know, but is there a trick to the other end of that boot/snorkle?

The end that goes into the fan housing, there was a metal clip and I couldn't get it in with it, the clip popped out and slid into the depths of my fan housing (still trying to figure out a way to retrieve it...)

I can get the boot in and seated without the clip though.
Dave_Darling
The fan shroud end of the boot is best installed from the inside of the shroud. When the shroud is in two pieces, and off the car.

With the shroud on the motor, you will have to remove the fan and work through the fan hole, which is no d**n fun at all.

BTW, I very very very strongly recommend pulling the back off of any new-to-you alternator and making double and triple sure that there isn't any bolt on the inside that shorts to the cover. That has resulted in several wiring harness fires, which are far worse than "no d**n fun at all".

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.