Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Monterey Historics Aug 12-15 Anybody Going?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Driving out from Colorado for this, picking my brother up in San Fran on Tuesday 11, then heading down. We have a place walking distance from the Aquarium.

We are doing the Italiano, and Friday-Sunday at the track.

Any members going as well?

Ferg
realred914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 29 2010, 08:11 AM) *

Driving out from Colorado for this, picking my brother up in San Fran on Tuesday 11, then heading down. We have a place walking distance from the Aquarium.

Ferg

me I plan to go. great race and neat car show
Cap'n Krusty
Foodie alert!!!!!!
While it's not on the wharf, this is the place the locals go:

Monterey Fish House
2114 Del Monte Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940-3712(831) 373-4647‎

Make a reservation or get there early. You'll thank me for this tip, trust me. Generally NOT filled with race fans and other tourists. Not fancy (I've seen people in formal evening dress sitting right next to fishermen just off the boat).

Monterey Joe's has always been nice, too. Another locals place, and it's at Fremont and Casa Verde.

The Cap'n
Ferg
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 29 2010, 08:37 AM) *

Foodie alert!!!!!!
While it's not on the wharf, this is the place the locals go:

Monterey Fish House
2114 Del Monte Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940-3712(831) 373-4647‎

Make a reservation or get there early. You'll thank me for this tip, trust me. Generally NOT filled with race fans and other tourists. Not fancy (I've seen people in formal evening dress sitting right next to fishermen just off the boat).

Monterey Joe's has always been nice, too. Another locals place, and it's at Fremont and Casa Verde.

The Cap'n

Thanks for the Tip!

Katy's Place in Carmel for breakfast is excellent as well.
jcd914
My wife and I will be there, camping at the track. There are several other teeners that will be there as well.

Here is an earlier thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=monterey

Cap'n, Thanks for the restaurant tip. We usually end up at the wharf with all the other tourists, nice to know some where else to try.

Jim

carreraguy
I'll be at the Laguna Seca Historics on Saturday and possibly the Saturday before at the "Pre-Historics". I entered 914AROO in the "Legends of the Autobahn" concours (Porsche/BMW/Mercedes) on the 13th in Carmel Valley; its a new event this year - thought I'd check it out.
Ferg
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jul 29 2010, 03:20 PM) *

I'll be at the Laguna Seca Historics on Saturday and possibly the Saturday before at the "Pre-Historics". I entered 914AROO in the "Legends of the Autobahn" concours (Porsche/BMW/Mercedes) on the 13th in Carmel Valley; its a new event this year - thought I'd check it out.

Cool, I've been thinking of heading over to that as well. Wonder what the walk in $$ fee is , Could not find it on the website.
Ferg
TROJANMAN
I'm not going, in case you were wondering.
jcd914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 30 2010, 08:19 AM) *

Cool, I've been thinking of heading over to that as well. Wonder what the walk in $$ fee is , Could not find it on the website.
Ferg

I have been buying my tickets on the way to the track at a Shell station in Seaside at Hiway 1 and 218. (there is also a Shell in Salinas that sells them) They sell at the same price as online advanced sales but there is no handling/process/shipping fees. Also means I don't buy a 3 day ticket if I don't get there for all 3 days. I do pay for my camp site each Jan/Feb to keep the same site.

Jim
Ferg
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 30 2010, 11:17 AM) *

Ferg

I have been buying my tickets on the way to the track at a Shell station in Seaside at Hiway 1 and 218. (there is also a Shell in Salinas that sells them) They sell at the same price as online advanced sales but there is no handling/process/shipping fees. Also means I don't buy a 3 day ticket if I don't get there for all 3 days. I do pay for my camp site each Jan/Feb to keep the same site.

Jim

I already have my tickets for the track, and italiano as well, I could find no info on the spectator cost of the legends of autobahn event. Only the Judged and non judged entry form.

Hey, quick question for you locals... picking my brother up in San Fran at the airport, I've done the drive to Monterey before from San Jose down the 101 to 1, but since I'll be coming from the airport and have the afternoon, is it worth it from a driving/sightseeing perspective to get on 1 earlier like say half moon bay, and drive down that way??

Ferg
EdArango
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 29 2010, 08:11 AM) *

Ferg

I'll be going with my family. Driving up on Friday and have tickets for the track for Sat and Sun.
FYI...Hotels suck!!! They are sooo expensive during that weekend the cheapest I could find was $232.00 per night at the Quality Inn Monterey Beach Dunes.

Ed
crest.gif
Ferg

[/quote]

Hey, quick question for you locals... picking my brother up in San Fran at the airport, I've done the drive to Monterey before from San Jose down the 101 to 1, but since I'll be coming from the airport and have the afternoon, is it worth it from a driving/sightseeing perspective to get on 1 earlier like say half moon bay, and drive down that way??

Ferg
[/quote]

Bump for insight to this question driving.gif
Borderline
[quote name='Ferg' date='Aug 1 2010, 02:51 PM' post='1350978']
[/quote]

Ferg
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah, it's a nicer drive along the coast to Santa Cruz. A little longer time-wize, but more enjoyable. You may run into some traffic in Santa Cruz depending on which day and time you get there.
orthobiz
Yo, Ferg! Biz is going!!!

Paul
Ferg
Got your PM, Very Cool Paul!

harlenl

Ferg

Depending on the day that you want to attend, the prices range from $40 to $60.
http://mazdaraceway.com/pages/tix-Reunion_2010

When you compare it to all the other car events that weekend this is the cheapest event.
harlenl
[quote name='Borderline' date='Aug 1 2010, 08:11 PM' post='1351098']
[quote name='Ferg' date='Aug 1 2010, 02:51 PM' post='1350978']
[/quote]

Ferg
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah, it's a nicer drive along the coast to Santa Cruz. A little longer time-wize, but more enjoyable. You may run into some traffic in Santa Cruz depending on which day and time you get there.
[/quote]

I used to drive from Redwood City down to Santa Cruz everyday and sometimes on Friday I would take Hwy 1 just to relax. Very nice easy drive from Half Moon Bay down to Santa Cruz. Not as nice as Carmel to Big Sur, but still a nice drive. Please be prepared for a long drive. It could take between 1.5-2 hours. Suggest stopping once in a while to enjoy the view. Also, suggest running the speed limit or a radar detector. CHP watches it pretty close.
roadster fan
If flying into SFO may as well go right to the coast at Pacifica and drive the coast the whole way. What day? What time? Traffic in Santa Cruz and the area around Moss Landing can stink at certain times. We should set a day and meeting spot for all the teeners that are gonna be at the track! Wear your best 914 T-shirt and we should all be able to find each other anyway, and all the other porsche people will know who to avoid!

I looked at the entry list for the historics a while back and there were more 914/6's than I remember in the past which will be fun. Hope to see you all there.

Jim
Ferg
OK, good tips, radar detector Check biggrin.gif . The pre historics are this weekend and yes, are inexpensive, but not the legends of autobahn show that carreraguy is going to, still have not found the walk in spectator fee for that.

Picking up Brother around Noon Wednesday, so hopefully traffic is not to horrible.

Look for 2 shaved head guys in a polar silver Boxster with Colorado plates. Here is my ugly mug, if you see me say HI.

GTeener
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 5 2010, 07:08 AM) *

The pre historics are this weekend and yes, are inexpensive..., still have not found the walk in spectator fee for that.

Not cheap if you only go this weekend sad.gif

"Ticket-holders for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion will be admitted to the Pre-Reunion for $15 per day, if they show their ticket at the gate.

For fans who want to come to the Pre-Reunion without a ticket for the Rolex Monterey Motorports Reunion, the ticket price will be $50 per day. Tickets for the Pre-Reunion will only be available for purchase at the gate and it includes complimentary parking. "

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/news-item?r=MTGQBSW4YE
markb
For a good dinner (& even better desserts) try Rosine's in Monterey. chowtime.gif
harlenl

Ferg

Here's the pricing at the gate:

Friday General Admission $50

Saturday General Admission $70

Sunday General Admission $60

3-Day General Admission $140

2-Day General Admission $110

Ferg
Thanks for the info but I already have tickets for that.

The event I'm wondering about is the Legends of Autobahn car show Friday, website only lists cost to enter car ect. No worries, I'll find out when I get there.

biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I guess I posted in some other thread (?). I will be driving up Friday morning and camping all weekend. I'll be busy shooting photos during the daytime but if anybody wants to meet up for dinner or just to say hi, PM me and I'll blip you my cell number.
'73-914kid
I'll be there from Thursday through Sunday and will be camping right off turn 11...
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 5 2010, 06:08 AM) *

Look for 2 shaved head guys in a polar silver Boxster with Colorado plates and a rainbow sticker.

San Fran or bust!

jcd914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Aug 6 2010, 09:32 AM) *

I'll be there from Thursday through Sunday and will be camping right off turn 11...

This is my plan as well except I will be camping up the hill a bit from you in Corkscrew View site 603. It is the upper terrace overlooking the Corkscrew. There is a chance I won't get there until Friday if my wife can't work offsite that day.

I'll have plenty of beerchug.gif if anyone wants to stop by.

Jim

Cap'n Krusty
So Cal people passing through Santa Maria on their way to or from Laguna should make an effort to stop by and see me. Lotsa good places to eat, so show up around mealtime! Just so you know, GPR is just a few blocks from my shop.

The Cap'n
jcd914
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 4 2010, 09:47 PM) *

We should set a day and meeting spot for all the teeners that are gonna be at the track! Wear your best 914 T-shirt and we should all be able to find each other anyway, and all the other porsche people will know who to avoid!

agree.gif
As roadster fan suggested we should pick some time/where to meet. I am going to suggest Sat afternoon 2ish up by the Corkscrew, usually some good shade up there but I am open to any other ideas. I'll probably PM my number out to a few here.

I am off work today thru Sunday and will be prepping today to leave for Monterey this evening. If my wife gets away from work early enough we'll be setting up camp at the track by 10PM.

There will be room for a small tent at my campsite or if you wanted to car camp, I have pass for a "Camping Support Vehicle". It is meant for a towed or tow vehicle to go with a RV or trailer but I will only have my RV. Last year Heeltoe914 and his son parked their Astro van at my site and camped.

See ya in Monterey!

Jim

The view from my campsite, Cork Screw View # 603:

Click to view attachment

jcd914
We're on the road!
Hope to see some of you there!

Jim

orthobiz
Concorso Italiano tomorrow!!!

Paul
campbellcj
I'm all packed and hoping to hit the road around 5am. Thank goodness for checklists or I surely would've forgotten stuff. I still might have...
EdArango
On our way!!! Sitting in Sambos in Santa Barbara having breakfest.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 13 2010, 08:45 AM) *

On our way!!! Sitting in Sambos in Santa Barbara having breakfest.

Wow, that place is still there....
orthobiz
Concours tomorrow

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.