Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vin number info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
On the papers I used to get my temporary licence it said it was a 76 but the guy told me a 75 so Im a little lost here is my vin 4762901606 also Im wondering what all those numbers mean. Thanks
jonwatts
There's a VIN decoder somewhere "out there" but the answer to your main question is that you have a '76 as indicated by the 2nd and 3rd VIN digits.
anthony
The sticker on the door jamb should say what model year it is (assuming it's still there).
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, here's the way I remember:

47=type 47
6 =year model 76
29= location of plant where manufactured
01606= #1606 made that year.
davep
Most definitely a 1976 model. However, it would have been manufactured in 1975. Most manufacturers start the model year about August or September, and Porsche is no different. 1976 was a bit unique in that, supposedly, all the model year production occurred in 1975.

DaveP
Bleyseng
Yep, a 1976 for sure. Welcome to the last off them made crowd. BTW the 76's are by far the best of all the years cuz they had time to practice on the other years to get it right.
Oh, in 76 they made (revised numbers) 4100 914's

Geoff
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 10 2004, 05:52 PM)
the 76's are by far the best of all the years cuz they had time to practice on the other years to get it right.

Geoff

lol2.gif agree.gif
majkos
So my next project car,last four digits,3011 is the 3011th out of 4100? unsure.gif Yes it's a '76. clap56.gif
Bleyseng
yes
Joe Bob
Yeah he's right....and when you get rid of the big uglee rubber baby bugee bumpers they look even better.... laugh.gif
majkos
actually,I kinda like 'em! cool.gif Though will remove the inner heavy stuff! Save me like what 200-300 lbs? huh.gif
Joe Bob
So do I....just like to apply the needle mueba.gif as most 75-76 owners seem sensitive about them. I used a set on a 70 w/o the metal frame for awhile.....hid the oil cooler quite well with all that space back there.
TheCabinetmaker
Nah, they weigh less than 100lbs together. Most of the weight is the bumper itself, the shock absorbers are fairly light. If you remove the shocks, how would you hold the bumpers in place?

Mike Z, I like em both ways(bumpers that is laugh.gif ), and having been hit both front and rear in my 73 and my 75, well, they do what they were designed to do. wub.gif
majkos
Aluminum frame to hold the rubbers. wink.gif I Do like the idea you can hide an oil cooler in the space behind.Clever! I agree it's nice to have the extra protections from Fidiots drivers,but since I've owned a '72 for almost near twenty years,I've an instincts to get HELL away from them Fidiots! I LOVE my car! wub.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Hard to get out of the way of the idiot behind ya at the stop light. It's happened twice to me.
Bleyseng
They aren't that heavy but the difference driving the car without them is amazing. I couldn't believe the change in the feel of my car. Its like getting rid of two fat friends sitting on the bumpers.
Before and after shots although I have gone to a chrome bumper now.
914werke
laugh.gif
BTW the 76's are by far the best of all the years cuz they had time to practice on the other years to get it right.

That why all you guys convert both the bumpers and eng/exh to the early 73/74 spec. Because they got it right!
Joe Bob
The manufacturer had it right...it's the US import safety and smog regs that hosed them....
Bleyseng
Good thing you didn't have anything to do with those regs MikeZ or I'd have to hold it against you.

fighting19.gif

I don't like the 73 2.0l engines myself as the FI is wonky and harder to fix.
Hate those later HE's, yuck.
Actually, I don't mind the big rubber bumpers and they are much more aerodynamic.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.