Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is that you clicking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motomadness1947
This answer is important to me as I am a 914 newbie, so please be nice. As soon as I turn the ignition on i hear a relay clicking. I know in the book that you should hear the Fuel Injectors Click when you turn the key on, but this sound like it comes from the relay panel under the dash. What is it or do I have a problem?

My vehicle ( I use the term loosely ) is a 1974 2.0 FI
motomadness1947
help, I hope someone reads and posts a reply for me
detoxcowboy
one click? I would not worry about it,Conatant clicking?, you should hear the fuel pump, you won't hear the injectors unless your in the engine compartment..
swl
The relays for the fuel pump are behind your let ear. Back in the engine bay. You should hear it click, fuel pump activates, 1.5 seconds later fuel pump shuts down.

There are other relays under the dash but they shouldn't click on key on. Is the car doing anything odd (other than clicking)?
VaccaRabite
does your car have FI or carbs?

Many carbed cars have a loud fuel pump wired to run whenever the ignition is on. If your car is carbed, that may be what you are hearing.

Zach
motomadness1947
It is under the dash and it is a constant click like a turn signal indicator (which it is not) today I will pul the panel and check which one is doing it.

Thanks now that I know it is not a normal click, it is time to dash dive

Bruce
motomadness1947
Okay, George Husseys book says that if you hear a constant clicking it is your turn signal, master cylinder warning switch, hand brake warning switch relay being acivated because the warning switch has to be reset of the brakes rebled. so have checked the hand brake warning switch it is acting properly as it only brings the light on when I engage it. I have the wire to the master cylinder warning switch disconnected as it activates the warning light when I plug it in as it is faulty.
So why is this relay still clicking all the time? If I had a ground in one of the brake warning wires, the dash warning light would flash, which it is not doing. The turn signals and hazards are working properly.

Any help for me?
matthepcat
I have the same problem with constant clicking sound with the ignition on from the blinker. It has been low on the priority list of repairs so far.

I hope someone out there has some suggestions.
turboman808
I have the same thing and it's always been like that. I have a very loud motor so it's drowned out and I just ignore it.

Tom
I would try rebleeding the brakes and plugging the wire back on the master cylinder. It is a safety warning. If it is still clicking after you get this fixed where the wire is hooked up and no light blinking, then look for proper ground at the handbrake switch. I had this problem with mine and the ground was iffy at the handbrake switch. Cleaned it up and now all is good.
Tom
motomadness1947
So I got into some stuff and then decided I had enough of garage and decided to take her down the road. Guess what. The clicking stops when the engine starts. It is definitely from the blinkers etc relay. God i love these little cars. Masochist to the end

Motomadness1947
detoxcowboy
some 914's have a flashing brake failure warning that is connected to the parking brake lamp along with the warning lamp wire from the MC that you disconnected, and the hand brake alert lamp wire that you did not disconnect.. so here is what I think is your fix..

on the back of the brake warning lamp there should be a flashing warning wire still connected

it is a black wire with a green stripe and a white stripe (one of a kind dual stipred wire) connected at the rear of the parking lamp..

disconnect it and protect wrap it.. done..
charliew
Or you could go for a little ride and let George listen to it and tell you what it is. Oh shoot I was thinking you were in Georgia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.