Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alameda AutoX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
richardL
Here are pictures from this morning. I tried to get pictures of most everyone's cars. There was a very fast 'non-windshield' car from Sacramento, but my battery had died by then sad.gif

Alameda AutoX 04/10/04

Enjoy!

Richard
seanery
That looks like you all had fun!
Lots of nice cars!

Who was that getting crossed up in Andy's car? Kinda looked like B.
richardL
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 10 2004, 05:03 PM)
Who was that getting crossed up in Andy's car? Kinda looked like B.

That was Andy, B wasn't driving (at least not when I left). Andy was fighting understeer and had just disconnected the sway bar - and now was fighting oversteer mad.gif

There was also a GT2 just arrived as I left - don't know if anyone else was doing photos though.

R
Andyrew
I'll get my pics uploaded in a few mins, right now im putting on aloe vera

No red 951 pics?

Which car did you have Richard?
EdwardBlume
I dig the gray car!!!!! I'll post some picts here later. Its fun to see so many 914s out there.... finally!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 10 2004, 04:30 PM)
There was a very fast 'non-windshield' car from Sacramento

yupp, ttod if i'm not mistaken. he ran a 1:02 and the next best guy had a 1:09 or something like that. pretty crazy fast ...

driving.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 10 2004, 05:29 PM)
That was Andy, B wasn't driving (at least not when I left). Andy was fighting understeer and had just disconnected the sway bar - and now was fighting oversteer mad.gif

tell me about it headbang.gif

first i can't get it to turn in, then it turns too much and to top it all, the front brakes locked up on me all the time.
i suck ... icon8.gif

oh, btw, there was only one other guy in my class and he didn't show up,
so, guess what, i won my class laugh.gif

now back to my suspension setup ...
smash.gif Andy
tesserra
Great day.
It was really nice to see that many 914s out there doing what they do so well.
It was also nice to meet all the people in person from the club.

George
Rich Bontempi
Thanks Richard for all the nice pics. Everyone seemed to have a great time. Looking forward to the next one.
EdwardBlume
A couple picts came out....
EdwardBlume
zvczv
EdwardBlume
qwersdf
EdwardBlume
adsgsf
Bleyseng
How do you get one of those cool High Preformance House suntints???

nice pics!

Geoff
EdwardBlume
fghjgfh
EdwardBlume
yuiuo
EdwardBlume
uyotiu
EdwardBlume
To get a HPH decal, ask Rich. I think they are less than $50. wink.gif
Rich Bontempi
Way Less!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 10 2004, 10:13 PM)

you will have to talk to THIS guy laugh.gif

also note those FANCY numbers ...
EdwardBlume
Thanks for the picture Richard! I appreciate it.
ChrisReale
You guys are KILLING ME. Rich B, Im coming down on Monday to give you $$. I need to AX soon. It is a matter of sanity and national security etc....
Rich Bontempi
Sounds like a plan!
Andyrew
Ok, loaded the pics..

http://www.teamgracer.com/cars/pca-ax-0410...daAX4-10-04.htm

Lots of pics there..

Dial up, dont even try... lol

Andrew
Andyrew
For those of you with dial up.. I'll put in some of the high lights..

Heres the A-hole himself, great pic. wink.gif
Andyrew
Here's a good view of some of the 914's.. On the grid (btw, the grid was packed full...).
Britain Smith
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 10 2004, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 10 2004, 10:13 PM)

you will have to talk to THIS guy laugh.gif

also note those FANCY numbers ...

Man Andy...you don't let up on the numbers...After I put those on there, I added 10hp to Rich's car...lol!

-Britain
Britain Smith
Yea...Brad, Andy, Angel (my wife) and I were up at HPH late Friday night getting everything together and putting those stickers on all the cars going to the autocross. I think Andy and I counted 5 or so stickers.

It was my first autocross and I am really happy that I went, I had a blast. My little 1.7L with no sway bars really wasn't all that bad. I think I might actually put some money in it, lower it from 4x4 level, and get it corner weighted and balanced for the next event. Now I really need to get my 912 done so I can have a bit more power.

-Britain
chunger
clap56.gif clap56.gif

Looks like you guys had a blast! I was monitering this thread wanting to drop by, but I had a rough framing inspection by the structural engineer for my house I was fretting about today. sad.gif

I will try to make it out next time w/o 914, but just to help out if I can. Please post again when the next AX happens. . .

-'Chung
seanery
So Andy, does that mean you won your class twice now? smilie_pokal.gif MUSR & this one?
Bleyseng
Britan, remember these are momentem cars so a set up 1.7 car can do very well.

I wanna know how much help that big ass spoiler helps?

ChrisReale, How come your car still isn't done? Man, your car has been under the knife forever.

Geoff
J P Stein
My God, lookit' all that concrete.....Oh, nice cars too laugh.gif Wish I was there.
Brad Roberts
Man o Man.. I really really feel bad for the rest of the 914 people in the USA. When was the last time you had 20+ 914's show up to an AutoX ??

I had fun (even though we did a spring change on the winged car and I got through 80% of a clutch cable change on another car)

Thanks for the shot Andrew. I learned in that moment (that you caught on camera) that Bill Pickering had too much negative camber in the rear of his car for his selected tire.

If more Bay Area people are interested in running their car.. please watch the calender of events or contact any admin about dates/times. As you can clearly see it is all about fun and getting out in your 914. Several of us help "coach" and "guide" you through a AutoX day.

B
Brad Roberts
Somebody send Randall an email... it is shots like this that tell me he is too soft.

B
Brad Roberts
NO sway bars hooked up. Can anyone guess the torsion bar rates/rear spring rates ??

LOL

B
Brad Roberts
This is understeer for those of you following along at home.

We dialed it all out by raising the rear spring rates 100lbs from 250lb to 350lb. He finished in the top 3.

B
Brad Roberts
This is the V8 914 that had the oil and water coming out of the oil pan I shot a few weeks back. The injection is not 100% and has a weird flat spot from full throttle. George the owner and I will get it squared away with a dyno tuning session and a O2 install. The car now has a Tarret bar installed.. nice and flat...

B
anthony
Andrew, why don't you resize those pics for everybody?

You know that you can do it all in one shot in batch mode, right? Even the freebee Irfanview has a nice batch mode facility. It would only take a minute or two to resize all those to 1024x768 or 800x600.
Mueller
killer turn out !!!! I'm just like Chris....reading these posts and seeing the pictures are making me sick with jealousy.....gotta get the car running, gotta get the car running smile.gif smash.gif

Hey B, you coming by today??
Brad Roberts
I cannot make this car run *crisp*. The IDA 3C's Webers keep bogging the car in tight turns. The last issue I found with it: the throttle shafts are well worn out. I tuned it the best I could, but until the shaft issue is taken care of.. I think all the bottom end is going to be sluggish.

B
nine14cats
Randal,

You're too soft!

laugh.gif

There....I said it!

Bill P.
nine14cats
The Alameda Auto-X was alot of fun...I've been fighting car issues the last month but we still ended up posting some respectable times....

Here's a shot of the spring change....done in 12 minutes trackside cool.gif

Thanks for help B, It would have been alot longer without your help...

Bill P.
nine14cats
Here's Andrew Blyholder, normally in the hunt for TTOD but 914 mechanical gremlins kept him from challenging on this day....

Is this a theme?
nine14cats
And here is Tim Martin's 914-6 with a broken clutch cable...Tim and B had the car back up and running in time for the end of the day beers at Chili's! smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
I didnt realize how many people where off the pace and *want* to be ON the pace. Each AutoX will take a slightly different setup, but one season of testing/changing and all seasons after that you can dial the car in prior to the event. People like Andrew Blyholder and Demick who change alignments and HAUL ASS in mostly stock 914's should tell everyone something about what it takes to run in the top 10 when you have over 80 cars entered.

B
Brad Roberts
Bill,

Why is Andrew not on the club site ? I didnt know he was having problems.. I would have tried to help him out.

B
nine14cats
Hi B,

I haven't spoken specifically to Andrew about the site...he's a busy guy like all of us...

As far as his car, he normally drives a highly modified X class car that has been lightend considerably. But he spun a clutch at the first event and hasn't had time to fix it yet. So he showed up in his daily driver 914, changes the alignment and rear toe settings at the track...plays...and can get close to TTOD with a stock car.... rolleyes.gif

I tell ya...Andrew, Demick, guys like that....they really show what a stock 914 is capable of against the big motor, modified guys...For those that appreciate it, it really is fun too watch them drive!

Bill P.
Andyrew
I met Andrew 4 years or so, he was auto xing his 914 at an scca meet. Rode with him then, (he told my dad that I could ride with him yesterday, but I didnt get to talk with him)

Anthony, I'll resize them in a min, I was just getting those pics out there so you guys could see them.

Batch mode eh? alright.

Brad, Thats alot of helpful information you have there, someday you'll have to teach me what those tire temps and such (0utside, inside center tire temps) mean in reality, I heard it once, but didnt stick. 12 min spring change? Schiiit!! Mines taking like 3 days.. but im sanding my rusty koni's and my rusty springs (got em cheap) and painting them.

BTW (dang, off subject..) How exactly do you measure the pounds of a spring (ie 140lbs, 180lbs) Cus I dont know what the spring rate is for these springs I got.. I just want to know before I get them on. I have one spring loose from the shock..

Thanks
Andrew
Brad Roberts
It is pretty easy:

IMO = Inside/Middle/Outside

Bill's inside rear temps where in the 160 range, his outside temps where in the 100 degree range (if I recall correctly).. this means he is not using all of the available tire. This tells me (quickly) that he has too much negative camber in the rear and that he is not rolling the slick over enough to flatten it out. Taking some negative camber out of the rear will get the temps a little closer to even over the tire surface (the tire will have more static and rolling contact patch).. basically whomever did his aligment doesnt understand what a bias ply slick needs. They set it up with too much negative camber. Typically a bias ply slick likes anywhere from "0" negative camber to 1.5 max. I'm betting Bill's car has 2.0 to 2.5 neg in it just from looking at it from behind. I'll know when I change his complete setup over the next few weeks.

B
Andyrew
Interesting, very interesting.

We just installed hoosiers that probably had 25-40% left (alot of tread.. Im just guessing, never seen new hoosiers) So, were switching the tires before we left and the right rear tire had a running cord (bout 2 cm) all the way around the tire on the inside. We have LSD in the trani, so it wasnt like we where lighting up the inside like crazy, I did spin once.. but I tried to let it roll so as to not flat spot the tires (did that already.. now im blaming this one on dad..) I should have been taking tire temps.

Next time..
Maybe I'll have my own helmet by then laugh.gif

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.