Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Talk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Yes, how does the horn go honk from the steering wheel Horn Button (butterfly part)? The parts diagrams don't show how it works

On my steering wheel, the single wire comes up via a hole in the steering wheel, and plugs into the metal plate on the back of the horn button, except it doesn't go honk. I can ground the wire and the horns work fine. The 2 parts I'm missing from the parts page are the spring loaded contact pin and the horn button rubber center support. If I need the pin contact, how does the wire get to the horn button plug.

Drawings...Pictures ...Please. Thanks

Tom_T
IIRC both the Haynes & Factory Manuals & maybe 700 tech tips & others show it in pix &/or descriptions.
... you do need both the pin & rubber cup, which is probably why a cheapo DAPO disconnected it not having the parts - is my guess.

Sierra Madre Collection sells both the pin & cup separately, as well as a horn rebuild kit with them & a few other parts for the 914s. AA, PP/Automation, Pelican, TCsGarage, etc., etc. also sell the pin & cup separately, but the cost for both may equal the SMC kit.
markb
The contact pin is only for 70/71 cars. We all have the rubber cup "spring".
Elliot Cannon
If you fix it and it goes "honk" "honk", you probably have an after market horn. On the other hand, if it goes "beep" "beep", or... you know... something like that, you will then know that you have a stock horn. You don't find info like this in any damn Haynes manual.
McMark
This.....

Click to view attachment

Touches that....

Click to view attachment

When you push the button.
bandjoey
So you want me to buy a book and read??? biggrin.gif The unspoken in Haynes is that the
wire replaces the pin in the 73 and the rubber cup is what holds them apart.

And real Texans never say beep beep. flag.gif Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.