Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joining the 914-6 Club
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
Well...I drove to Austin yesterday to look at a 1974 911 Targa with a 1981 3.0L SC engine. The intention was to buy and becoming a Porschaholic with 2 of them. The chassis is in near perfect condition, not a spec of rust. Unfortunately the interior needed a bit more work, plus there were a couple other issues. So after much discussion between my dad and I - we decided to take the engine, and sell the chassis to a guy near Austin who is a Porsche mechanic and wants it.

Couple questions:

1. How much is a rolling 911 rust free chassis worth? I got some prices, just want more opinions.
2. Will the 911 oil tank fit into the 914 well, is it a good choice to use?
3. Any suggestions on a place for heat exchangers?
4. Can I use the 914 fuel pump, or should I replace it with the one from the 911?

It looks like I'll be able to sell the 915 tranny, Boxster wheels, and the 914 engine with dual webber carbs to recoup some of the cost. So it won't be too bad of an investment.

Gonna be fun!
Bleyseng
Its way easier to install the proper 914/6 oil tank as it fits.
HE are around, look in the Classifeds here or post a Wanted ad
I think you have to use the 911 fuel pump, but maybe someone knows for sure.
The 911 body is worth whatever you can get but since its a 74 pre smog body guys want those to make a RS lookalike without smog issues..
carr914
The 911 won't be worth a lot as it's a Targa.

I would continue to part it out or just sell it as whole as possible to the mechanic.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 30 2010, 07:58 AM) *

The 911 won't be worth a lot as it's a Targa.

I would continue to part it out or just sell it as whole as possible to the mechanic.

agree.gif

Targa's don't pull much money....neither do pre-galv'd 911's.

If you know someone that want's it, get it to them asap before they change thier mind.
Ericv1
A stock 911 tank is too big for the fender. And, I've never seen a good modification of a 911 tank with out cutting into the rear trunk or mounting it in the front trunk.
I would use the fuel pump from the 911 as it's already matched for the engine. If the 3.0L has carbs, all you need is 3.5lbs of pressure. So, if your currect pump puts that out or more, you may just need a pressure regulator.
I purchased heat exchangers from MSDS (a vendor here) and they were jet coated for around $550 but, better deals can be had if your on a budget. Rich Johnson was an excellent source for some of the most common conversion parts.
I sold a 1970 911T rolling chassis for $2,800 and kept the engine. That money funded everything for my conversion except the muffler.
jmill
If I were you I'd also grab the entire front suspension, rear brakes with E brake assembly, rear hubs, stub axles, rims, 915 trans and gauges. If the mechanic doesn't want it after that part it out on Pelican. With the cash you make you can get the rest of the parts you need.
Rav914
+1 what John said.
patssle
QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 30 2010, 11:14 AM) *

If I were you I'd also grab the entire front suspension, rear brakes with E brake assembly, rear hubs, stub axles, rims, 915 trans and gauges. If the mechanic doesn't want it after that part it out on Pelican. With the cash you make you can get the rest of the parts you need.

Great advice. I might get some pretty good money out of this car. Just need to figure out how the heck I'm going to get it from Austin to Houston...
patssle
My "donor" car

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.