Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad to say
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSharp
I can't drive the race car. I did it and did well. 1/tenth of a second off Thomas time. But it put me right into my wheelchair and I have been recuperating for 10 days and still hurting. It was fun to build and much more fun to race but the total activities for the day totaled my body, nearly hospitalized.
So, it was my decision to make the car available to my team mates. Thomas and Dan will campaign the car at the local PCA events in hopes that we get a chance to learn and grow and possibly go to the Parade sometime in the future. We have not tuned the car at all, not even adjusted the tire pressure, so our learning curve is still pretty much straight up.
As a novice, driving the car was wonderful. It put me into the top 20 out of 80. She accelerates really hard and when she comes on the power band she smacks you back into the seat hard. She decelerates really hard and corners very flat. When pushed really hard into the corners she will go into a 4 wheel drift and starts to get light but just easing the throttle a little brings her back to light over steer.
So now I rel agate myself to the position of
Joe Sharp
Team NARP
Logistics and Support
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 30 2010, 10:31 AM) *
It was fun to build and much more fun to race but the total activities for the day totaled my body, nearly hospitalized.

Aw man, that sucks ... sad.gif

Ferg
Glad you got to race it!

Sucks it was only once sad.gif

Very cool that Thomas and Dan will continue on, wondering how you as team manager will get through the language barrier lol-2.gif

Oh and

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Project 6

I can't drive the race car. I did it and did well. 1/tenth of a second off Thomas time. But it put me right into my wheelchair and I have been recuperating for 10 days and still hurting. It was fun to build and much more fun to race but the total activities for the day totaled my body, nearly hospitalized.
So, it was my decision to make the car available to my team mates. Thomas and Dan will campaign the car at the local PCA events in hopes that we get a chance to learn and grow and possibly go to the Parade sometime in the future. We have not tuned the car at all, not even adjusted the tire pressure, so our learning curve is still pretty much straight up.
As a novice, driving the car was wonderful. It put me into the top 20 out of 80. She accelerates really hard and when she comes on the power band she smacks you back into the seat hard. She decelerates really hard and corners very flat. When pushed really hard into the corners she will go into a 4 wheel drift and starts to get light but just easing the throttle a little brings her back to light over steer.
Joe Sharp
Team NARP
Logistics and Support

Sorry to hear that, welcome to my world.... headbang.gif
Tom
Yea, sorrry to hear that. It sometimes gets me down when this happens, but you sound upbeat and positive. Good for you!
Drove my street car two weekends ago and when removing the top did something to my shoulder and back. Now I can't drive the car at all. Sucks!
Good luck to your team, team manager!
Tom
ConeDodger
That is sad Joe. Your team couldn't find a better logistics and support person though.
yeahmag
Sorry to hear it man... Put a smile on my face seeing you out there.
Socalandy
Sorry to hear Joe, Rest and hope you get better soon!!
montoya 73 2.0
Oh damn! Sorry to hear this Joe. It is a team regardless of your position so being Logistics and support is a important position to hold! Good Luck and speedy recovery.

BTW, We finally met at the WCR Tahoe. We were the first two there in the lot. You also left me a message on the Teener on the top floor of the parking structure. The Cazadores were great too!!! Looking forward to those at the Oregon WCR next year!
Lou W
Oh wow Joe, I am so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you had a chance to drive it. Take care of yourself. smile.gif
JRust
Dang Joe take it easy! Just relax in your tow vehicle at the track. Kinda roughing it in the motorhome but you can make do with a little medicinal help blink.gif . Bummer on the racing but as said at least you got one crack at it. Nicely done on the build. You've always been great supporting others in the community. So your new role isn't really that new. Keep your chin up & see you soon biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Yes, bummer.
Tho I could still drive the shitbox when I sold it I was getting progressively slower and I was never that quick......that was nearly a year ago. The old bod tells you when to quit and now driving the thing would be iffy.....but I'm stupid enough to try it...just one more time. biggrin.gif
I am sorry you didn't get more butt time in that beastie.
Getting old sucks, but at least we're around to say that. confused24.gif
Eddie914
Lately track driving the teener had left me aching for days ... mostly shoulders and neck (bike accident many years ago showing my kid how to NOT to jump his BMX bike).

Then I remembered how the current crop of pro drivers work very hard at conditioning. I decided that I don't want to give up the joy of track driving so I started a mini conditioning routine. I got out the dumbells and put myself through various lifts that simulate the stresses of driving. Then I threw in some situps and pushups just for even measure.

Wow! Big difference! No sore neck and shoulders the next day. It is a lot easier to maintain concentration in the hot afternoon sessions.

It also has not hurt that a group of us decided to do a little father and son bike ride every year ... from Seattle to Portland (with about 10,000 other nuts).

The cars keep getting faster and we just keep getting older. It seems that trying to stay young can almost be a full time job. Come to think of it, my 88 year old uncle does consider it his full time job. He got a total hip replacement so he could keep playing tennis 4 days a week.

Cheers,

Eddie
PeeGreen 914
Sorry to hear Joe. sad.gif
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2010, 10:35 AM) *

It was fun to build and much more fun to race but the total activities for the day totaled my body, nearly hospitalized.
Aw man, that sucks ... sad.gif
agree.gif Sorry Joe. That does suck.
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 30 2010, 09:31 AM) *

I can't drive the race car.

Joe Sharp
Team NARP
Logistics and Support
And Chef Extraordinaire

rick 918-S
Me too, I'm a builder of things not a driver either. I've done it, but I know what my limits are. A little spirited drive once in awhile is fine. I can still travel cross country ok. But a day at the track and I'm fried. It's just about as much fun seeing the fruits of your labor in the hands of a good wheel man as it is being out there. Almost. dry.gif
jimtab
sad.gif Joe....that just sucks....but you'll do just fine as the "logistics guy" if you just remember a few things: Moder= engine( poke.gif Thomas), never leave the Casadores just "laying around" and remember bench racing is almost as much fun and a hellova lot less work......Take care bud.....
sean_v8_914
congrats. I knew that car would rock.
I hope you feel better soon
JoeSharp
Being retired has it's advantages. I got to start recuperating right away. I didn't make any decisions about the car until after the first week. Most people would have figured it out in a day or two. We won't be going back to the track until Septimber so there is plenty of time for the to get ready for the next race.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.