Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior Revival and more!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
So the time has come to renew the interior of my favorite car. Overall, the interior of this car is in decent shape, but there are so many things I wish to do to the interior. So here are a few photos...
thomasotten
As you can see, I have enlisted the help of the next gerneration of 914 enthusiasts. It will be his car one day.
thomasotten
The pedals needed to come out. This was very easy actually.
thomasotten
The tar removal took about 2-3 hours. Some came off very easily, and some not at all. I used and air chisel for some of the really stuck parts.
mepstein
Kids should always wear masks and gloves. Too late to save us adults but no reason for kids to inhale fibers and dust. Gloves because kids tend to touch their face and mouth with bare hands before they wash.
thomasotten

Don't worry, he washed his hands afterwards, during, etc. I did the heavy stuff.

So here was the worst of it. Overall the pan was in good shape, but there were a few holes under the passenger seat.
thomasotten
Ok, and here we have found a stress fracture on the longitudinal. Driver's side, just forward of the e-brake depression.

thomasotten
The rear pad was a toss-up. But, to be thurough, I removed it.
thomasotten
thomasotten
POR-15
thomasotten
Seam Sealer
rwilner
thanks for these pics -- i'm going to be doing the same thing soon!
bembry
Mine had a similar crack in the long--McMark just fixed
thomasotten
Some more pics from the last few days:

First, I had to weld in some plates for some minpr rust holes.
thomasotten
To replace the sound deadening tar, I purchased a roll from Raamaudio. I ended up putting three layers down.
thomasotten
OK, so I decided to repaint the interior. Most of it will be covered with carpet, but, well, I like painting.
thomasotten
So this is what happens. I get off work at 6, spend two hours preparing, start painting and it gets dark!
thomasotten
Der nächste Morgen...
thomasotten
frosty blau
rjames
Did you treat the rust or just paint POR15 over it? Hopefully you sanded most of that rust away and applied a converter before hand for good measure.

BTW, I love the color you've chosen for the car, btw. Looks fantastic with the 5 lug Fuchs.
thomasotten
Rigorous sanding, grinding, then POR-15 with converter.
PanelBilly
Aint isn't going to stick to the Por
just flakes off
Drums66
...Pretty pretty,such a pretty girl(914) wub.gif bye1.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 4 2010, 01:51 PM) *

Aint isn't going to stick to the Por
just flakes off

You have to sand the POR-15 so the paint has a mechanical bond. I have done it before, and it holds very well.
914Sixer
Looking good!!
thomasotten
So in the meantime, while I let the interior paint harden up and air out, I decided to restore these seatbelts with this sticker kit I bought long ago.
thomasotten
So one thing leads to another right? This subproject was only to be an interior restoration.... but.... since I removed the pedal cluster, I decided to go ahead and remove my master cylinder to install a 19mm unit that I have had in storage for two years...but...while I was down there in the wheel wells I just did not like the look of this. For some reason, my 914 came from the factory with green fender wells. biggrin.gif

So, seeking the advice of the 914world
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=109883&hl=

I decided to paint these bad boys body color. I came very close to painting them black, but I still have plenty of blue paint remaining. So here we go on a tangent....
thomasotten
Cleaning a wheel well is a lot of work.

I had

1. Overspray
2. Undercoating or Road tar
3. Dirt

Each took me a couple of evenings to clean and sand properly.
thomasotten
I used a wire wheel on a cordless drill to get most of it clean.
thomasotten
Painting cars is fun. Taping them up is not. It takes forever.

Oh, and with masking tape I now have a race car also. smile.gif
thomasotten
So here is my product prior to paint. As can be seen, I used primer/surfacer to fill in the scratches left from road debri.
thomasotten
Sealer applied....
thomasotten
wub.gif
avidfanjpl
Thomas, your craft is stupendous!

I love that color, the way you painted in the Marque, and all your rustoration.

It is a thing of beauty.

Now, I do have to ask, what year and engine is that Oly Blue?

I had a 73 2.0L on the East Coast and it got away.

30 years ago this month.

Just wondered.

John
thomasotten
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Aug 14 2010, 02:16 PM) *

Now, I do have to ask, what year and engine is that Oly Blue?

I had a 73 2.0L on the East Coast and it got away.

30 years ago this month.

Just wondered.

John

Hi John,

The Oly Blau is a 73 2.0. It spent time in Germany, then California, then I bought it in Texas. I have all the paperwork on it from the beginning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.