Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Figuring out these last wires...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
This is coming from the relay box on the small plug for the ignition harness. I read the wiring diagram but it's not too well labeled I'm still a bit confused.

Ok, the black/purple wire I know goes to the coil.
The green wire goes to the "oh shit turn off your car" sensor
The yellow goes to the alternator?????
Green wire coming FROM the distributor goes to the coil

Question is... which is positive and negative... one thing I'm confused about. My coil had the green wire from the distributor originall going to negative. The black and purple wire went to positive. It would then appear a spiraled black cable also went on the negative. Is this correct? The wiring diagram is confusing and looks like it says the opposite?

Here are my wire labels...

11 - black and purple
10 - green from distributor
12 - yellow - diagram says alternator? where in the world does it go? I can't find an end for it.
28? hard to read - black and green
25 - white - supplementary air valve?

I no longer have the spiraled black wire I saw on the coil anymore... was this a ground?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jul 30 2010, 09:40 PM) *

This is coming from the relay box on the small plug for the ignition harness. I read the wiring diagram but it's not too well labeled I'm still a bit confused.

Ok, the black/purple wire I know goes to the coil.
The green wire goes to the "oh shit turn off your car" sensor
The yellow goes to the alternator?????
Green wire coming FROM the distributor goes to the coil

Question is... which is positive and negative... one thing I'm confused about. My coil had the green wire from the distributor originall going to negative. The black and purple wire went to positive. It would then appear a spiraled black cable also went on the negative. Is this correct? The wiring diagram is confusing and looks like it says the opposite?

Here are my wire labels...

11 - black and purple
10 - green from distributor
12 - yellow - diagram says alternator? where in the world does it go? I can't find an end for it.
28? hard to read - black and green
25 - white - supplementary air valve?

I no longer have the spiraled black wire I saw on the coil anymore... was this a ground?

Green and black/purple go to the NEGATIVE side of the coil. There should be a black wire Black/red?), 12v+ with the key on. That goes to the positive side of the coil. That's the ONLY wire that goes there. There's a green wire (green/red) that goes to the oil pressure switch. The yellow wire goes to the engine compartment heater blower. The white wire goes to the auxiliary air regulator. The black/green wire is for the oil temp sender, which isn't used on a 1970 car.

(source: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/elec...ectric_71b.jpg)

The Cap'n
corsepervita
Awesome thanks capn
corsepervita
Fellas, i've got everything BUT the fuel pump turning on! I am ECSTATIC.

Trying to figure out what the hell is up with the fuel pump.

Replaced the fuses. Now when the car is turned on, the brake lights turn on, but no fuel pump. lol-2.gif
corsepervita
Ok heading to the carshow, totally no idea why my brake lights turn on when the car's ignition is turned on. Baffled as wire 13 on the main harness pin is for the pump. It gets a full 12v but the pump won't turn on. Although when you jumper it, it kicks right on.
detoxcowboy
you will find all your wiring harness diagrams at bottom of link..

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
corsepervita
Verified again and it appears that it is hooked up properly. Here's a confusing thing though...

When I check pin 13 on the harness connector and apply 12 volts the pump turns on.

When i check the relay board, pin 13 has 12v.

When the connector is connected to the board, nothing.

I suppose it could be a bad pin connector? very confusing. Basics tell me that if 12v is there, the pump should be on, yes? And that 12v is there but nothing. If it's applied directly, pump kicks right on no questions asked, benchtesting shows fine.

Perhaps the pin has a bad soldering point and the wire isn't getting enough amperage to get the pump going?

Are these negative switched and not positive switched, if so, could be the ground on the relay board is not switching on the relay board?
904svo
I believe you will find that the pump is turn on by a ground from the ecu. Check your grounds at the tree on the back of the block.
corsepervita
QUOTE(904svo @ Aug 1 2010, 12:32 PM) *

I believe you will find that the pump is turn on by a ground from the ecu. Check your grounds at the tree on the back of the block.

One of those were actually disconnected, the grounds are filthy ( i assume you are talking about the white wires on the engine? 3 grounds there 2 wires each?) I will disconnect them and fix them and give that another try. They hadn't changed though but I suppose that doesn't mean they could have issues now that one is disconnected.

Didn't know it was switched by the ecu, interesting info, thank you.
corsepervita
904svo - i looked at the harness plug, i used black wire for a few different connections, I think I may have mixed up the ground for the harness plug with the tail light from the harness plug. i'm going to have to test the wire... but the one marked as "ground" also came out of the pin so I need to resolder it. perhaps this is my problem, if so, that makes sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.