Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swimming in the fuel puddle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Got my aftermarket 2 port pump this week, so that was today's task. It just plain sucks without a lift. Gas everywhere, just couldn't get a large enough jug under the car to drain it without a mess. Well, at least it's running again, now just maybe I can make the dog days drive. That depends on work right now....
detoxcowboy
I got gas up my nose and inside my ear accidently months ago. Google "gasoline inside your ear" for some funny reading.. People get scared and it does hurt..
charliew
In 1980 I was scheduled to go in for ulcer surgery on a sunday evening, the surgery was at 6 in the am. The few hours before getting ready I was trying to finish up a sbc install in my 63 j200 jeep truck as I knew I would be screwed up awhile afterwards. I was working on the fuel line and pulled a line off I thought was empty and fuel ran in my ear. Man it burned, I stuck a water hose in it for awhile but had to get cleaned up to go to the hospital. After they admitted me the doctor came by to see me and I told him about my ear and he gave me some pain pills and said after the surgery my ear wouldn't be bothering me any more, that really got my attention. He explained that really the medication for after the surgery was what kept all the pain under control and that was what he really meant. About ten days later I pulled a couple of stitches laying on my back across the seat working under the dash on the truck. I had already had the new radiator in and out several times for fitting and that wasn't so bad, I guess the stretching was what got the stitches in my belly. The gas got in my ear because I turned to keep it out of my eyes. I bet it wasn't two tablespoons.
avidfanjpl
I took several small gas baths getting my tank to not leak and form rust this year. I had an idea since I don't have a lift either. I bought one of those super cheap oil catchers at Pepboys, laid it flat under the car and drained the 1/3 tank. No more gas baths.

The best story on a gas bath with a happy ending is Steve Gaglione. He and I go back to 73, and when he had another 914-6 years ago in Tampa, I believe, he sprang a leak with a full tank, and it was a gusher.

The entire tank emptied on the garage floor, and Steve was scared shitless. Janie must have been at work.

I would be frightened badly too, but to hear him describe it in glowing but not burning terms got me good, and I puzzled over the drain issue for a week.

Damned if I did not fill er up, but no real spills. I put her back in the tank after treating and filtering it. That black can is in the garage and can fit under my teener without jacking. Barely.

My leak was at the nipples.

Tittie twister!

John
IronHillRestorations
Cheap for a good tool!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ku=00970993000P

Click to view attachment

I've also used a set of needle nose vice grips with a piece of rubber hose slid over each the jaws.
ottox914
What I use is a pair of needle nose vice grips with some 3/4 or so hose over the noses of the vice grips. You can tighten them to just the right amount of pinch to keep the gas from flowing out of the rubber fuel line in the car, you can stick them into just about any space, and with the hose over the nose trick, the teeth of the vice grip don't damage the rubber fuel hose you are pinching off. If you're working with hard lines, good luck. Drain the best you can and find a big drip pan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.