Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear caliper frozen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solo1
rear calipers are coming off going to eric in Utah for rebuild. Everything has come off except the brake fluid inlet nut. It is attached to a hard line that is attached to a soft line. Have nearly rounded the nut trying to get it off. Since the caliper is going to be replaced the easiest route may be to cut the hard line to get the caliper to the workbench to get the nut off. Can I replace the hardline or am I really screwing myself.
IronHillRestorations
You should be able to at least get a good used salvage hard line. You need to get a 11mm flare wrench for the brake line fittings. The flare wrench gets five of the six sides of the nut.
solo1
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 1 2010, 09:27 AM) *

You should be able to at least get a good used salvage hard line. You need to get a 11mm flare wrench for the brake line fittings. The flare wrench gets five of the six sides of the nut.

so can i cut off the hard line and then get this nut off. my fear is what nightmare am i running into if I cut the hard line off is it realitivly easy to replace the hard line into the soft or am i looking at having a pro do the work? safe to assume i can get this 11mm flare wrench at a home depot or auto parts place?
corsepervita
Hard line replacement is simple. You just install a new from from the master to the brake line. You can also have them made, rather than spending an asinine amount of money on factory lines.

Make sure when you replace the hard line that you snug it up, then back the wrench off and snug it up again, you'll notice the wrench will go a bit further, this reseats the line into place so there are no leaks. Do it 2 or 3 times and it'll end up going maybe another 1/4 turn. I had a line tweak on me and I replaced mine, was easy to do.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(solo1 @ Aug 1 2010, 02:18 PM) *

so can i cut off the hard line and then get this nut off. my fear is what nightmare am i running into if I cut the hard line off is it realitivly easy to replace the hard line into the soft or am i looking at having a pro do the work? safe to assume i can get this 11mm flare wrench at a home depot or auto parts place?

Hard line replacement is _usually_ easier than the job of trying to avoid it, unless we are talking about the very short 'Z'-shape line through the firewall (you're not...).

if you cut the hard line, you don't care about saving the fitting - use penetrating oil (just for the karma - it probably won't make a damn bit of difference...) and ViseGrips to remove the fitting. Or just send it to Eric - I'm sure it won't be the first he's seen...

I bought my flare nut wrench set from Sears, many moons ago, and have had no reason to replace them. Them or a FLAPS should get you covered. Sooner or later you'll want a few sizes so I really recommend buying a set. Summit also usually has good prices on tools, too.

'most any FLAPS can sell you hard line, just make sure you get the 10mmx1mm 'European' flare. Might have to settle for an inch or two longer than stock, which will do no harm. Or you can buy from the dealer, and it will come the right length, but not bent to shape. While you're at the FLAPS, buy a brake line bending tool ('for best results'...)

Anything having to do with the rear lines will test your patience, but the line from the flex to the caliper is the easiest of the lot.

Don't forget - brakes lines DO NOT seal by torque applied to the fitting. They seal by compression of the bubble flare into its female counterpart. Snug is all you need. Too tight simply crushes the flare. It might seal once (or it might not) but for sure it won't seal a second time...
solo1
right side came off no worries left had to cut the pig. the caliper is a friggin mess. now to find the hard lines I tis probably safer just to replace both thanks you guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.